• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I reckon we roll our best XV out against Fiji with the directive that we be as ruthless as possible. No basketball rugby, take every point on offer, smash everything that moves. These tournaments are all about building momentum and I don't want us stuffing about at the beginning. Just rip in and lay down a marker to all the other teams.

I agree with this sentiment. My only concern would be a last minute injury to a guy like Kepu . He wouldn't be required to beat Fiji, but is essential against England.

Palu I'd also say is pretty important against England and the probability of him injuring himself against Fiji is unfortunately high.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I know, we also had a team good enough to win the world cup.

The point I was referencing was playing with confidence, and this has to be built. Back then it was there, and there is some great footage of games back then if you go hunting, players running straight, always have support, and having the confidence to play attaching rugby.

Good example of playing with confidence here.

Yes that Wales side was weak I now, but we built and played good rugby as well.

Back then we selected from NSW & QLD, now we have QLD / NSW / WA / VIC / ACT.

Great footage. Such great hands from those boys and terrific support play.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Cannot see too many Reds guys going to the ACT for the Wallaby love fest

Slipper, Genia, Simmons & Cooper to be sure to be sure

Outsiders - Horwill Frisby, Saia & Gill

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yeah, that's a pretty old fashioned viewpoint. My 85 year old Grandpa is a Kiwi and he says this sort of thing.
I think it's a little bit of a racist view. Like it's basically implying that Islanders are incapable of playing disciplined rugby and need some 'calm heads' (i.e. whites) to 'guide them around.' This is the standard view of my Grandfathers generation anyway, and I think it's a stereotype that we should move past.

Hmmm your 85 year old Grandpa would have also played rugby in this weather, some club rugby canned - what't it coming to.

Racist - no not at all, and that is not me, not wanting to bring that into it.
Is it racist to see that most successful swimmers are one colour, and most runners are another colour - no for some reason it just happens to be that way and they are all good people - it has nothing to do with discipline or calm heads it's just the way it seems to be. Let's leave that subject alone hey.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
agree re PAE. I think people like the look of PAE because he's about 130kg and has the potential to be a very strong scrummaging TH. The truth is he looks to be still a bit rough around the edges. I cant remember him really dominating any LHs but conversely i cant remember him being dominated. He's given away a fair few penalties too. He looks to be a few years from his best.

Whilst i dont pretend to know much about scrummaging, my observation is that scrummaging at test level often comes down to technique, smarts and trickery as much as it does horse power. If current form is anything to go by, I think the more experienced NH props would make him look like a test rookie. For that same reason I'd go with Holmes. He's certainly not as heavy and powerful as PAE, but his technique this season looks excellent. He's a good example of the old adage that props peak late in their career.

If there's a few injuries at TH, then I'd probably turn to PAE, but the 2019 WC will probably be his time to shine (if he's around).

Is Tongan Thor LHP or THP?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Racist - no not at all, and that is not me, not wanting to bring that into it.
Is it racist to see that most successful swimmers are one colour, and most runners are another colour - no for some reason it just happens to be that way and they are all good people - it has nothing to do with discipline or calm heads it's just the way it seems to be. Let's leave that subject alone hey.

Sorry I don't mean to offend you or misinterpret you. But you're talking about physical differences when it comes to swimming or running. When people talk about 'balance' and a rugby team having too many islanders what exactly do they mean? In my experience they're talking about mental things, and I think they're just perpetuating negative stereotypes. Even if they're not meaning to.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Sorry I don't mean to offend you or misinterpret you. But you're talking about physical differences when it comes to swimming or running. When people talk about 'balance' and a rugby team having too many islanders what exactly do they mean? In my experience they're talking about mental things, and I think they're just perpetuating negative stereotypes. Even if they're not meaning to.

No sweat - not me, have 15 front rowers on the field that is balanced as well.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

have you ever played in a islander heavy team? They just have a different mindset to playing the game, hit hard, run it all the time, give anything a crack and play a fun brand of footy. Of course its a massive generalisation and there are many many exceptions to the rule but i have found that islander teams play a more open expansive style while white teams can be more conservative. Looks at the shute shield the most islander heavy clubs, west harbour, parra, southern, (maybe) wicks are all known for their running games while north shore teams/sydney uni are historically known to be more disciplined

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Lilo absolutely destroyed Beale tonight. If this game was anything to go by, I don't know how you could select Beale in the squad. I realise he's versatile and experienced, but he generally sucks in these physical arm wrestles

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Lilo absolutely destroyed Beale tonight. If this game was anything to go by, I don't know how you could select Beale in the squad. I realise he's versatile and experienced, but he's generaly sucks in these physical arm wrestles
True but Lilo 10 and Beale 12.
I'm hoping for a fully fit Cooper To'omua Kuindrani Speight, Folau - so until fit no use in contributing

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think the razzle dazzle shimmy from Beale just doesn't work as well in the tight games , should probably try a few straight bursts just to mix it up a little . In broken play he can be dynamite .

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
For Fiji, I'd probably put the likes of Slipper, Kepu and Moore on the bench.
The last thing we need is to lose any of them to injury heading into the England game. Traditionally the games against Fiji are quite physical in the opening half and they often lead to a few injuries.

I believe Alexander was injured badly against Fiji in the first game of the test season, many moons ago (which led to us fielding the world class front row of Slipper (debut), Fainga'a, Daley (Debut) against England).

I also think that, with all due respect to Fiji, they will not have a particularly strong scrum so our subs should be more than capable of giving us the upper hand.

I'd maybe put Palu in cotton wool.

I'd otherwise play a full strength side because, as others have mentioned, for and against might become important in our group.
That means the England game may be their first game in seven weeks. The Fiji game is a critical hit-out for the first team before playing England and Wales.

We really need that Chicago game.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Anyone else now very worried about our Test quality goal kicker? Foley can't be our kicker this year with the results he is giving of late. Do we need to sacrifice a position to put a goal kicker in? I would say yes if necessary and by the way it looks of late its necessary!

Status
Not open for further replies.