• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Because if we don't cap him he's off to Edinburgh and in 3 years time playing for Scotland.

He will be/is better than Nadolo.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think that's a legitimate reason to cap him though.............

If he's considered one of the top wingers, then yes, he should be capped...........

But if he's not, then he shouldn't........... and he's nowhere near Nadolo right now.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So we've never capped a development player before? I fully agree he only goes to the RWC if he's the best top 3 wingers at that moment but apart from that I don't think it cheapens the jersey if we cap someone to lock him in when he has clear potential.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Don't the new eligible rules state that a player returning to Aus from overseas can play for the wallabies as soon as they have signed a 2 year contract or more for a super xv franchise.

Let him go oversea's. He can play for the wallabies when and if he commits to Aus rugby again. Let Scotland develop him and we'll reap the rewards later.

IF we miss out, so be it. Just means that he didn't really want to play for the wallabies that much if he doesn't come back and chooses Scotland instead.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's not really what happened, he signed with Edinburgh pretty early to secure his future, he's then improved and had a big impact and now wants to stay.. getting him Test capped gets him an out of his deal.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Don't the new eligible rules state that a player returning to Aus from overseas can play for the wallabies as soon as they have signed a 2 year contract or more for a super xv franchise.

Let him go oversea's. He can play for the wallabies when and if he commits to Aus rugby again. Let Scotland develop him and we'll reap the rewards later.

IF we miss out, so be it. Just means that he didn't really want to play for the wallabies that much if he doesn't come back and chooses Scotland instead.

If he went to Scotland, he wouldn't be eligible for the Wallabies immediately on return.

He's only eligible for the Wallabies now under the three year residency rule I believe. I haven't heard any mention that he qualifies because of a parent or grandparent.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
changed my mind for the 42nd time

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Arnold
6. McMahon
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. O'Connor
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Mitchell
15. Folau

16. Polota-Nau
17. Sio
18. Holmes
19. Skelton
20. Hooper
21. Higganbotham
22. Genia
23. Beale

Are you Cheika's nomme de plume?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
TPN must be in serious doubt for the Wallabies and Tahs for that matter.

Head knock after head knock - Had always picked him as the number 2 hooker behind Moore (as did everyone else) but jeez he seems to becoming more prone to the head knock. Taf should be considering his future outside of rugby - it might be the bhest for HIM in the long run.

Hanson probably the next in line

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I see the issues with him, but that try he scored against the Force was scary. And it isn't the first time he's done that this season. And he's only 23.

Am I the only one that wasn't that impressed by it?

He flattened Morahan for gods sake, Robbie Coleman could probably do similar damage.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Am I the only one that wasn't that impressed by it?

He flattened Morahan for gods sake, Robbie Coleman could probably do similar damage.

He has bounced off quite a few attempted tackles. Maybe you should grit your teeth and watch the Tahs a bit more.

I mean, New South Wales.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Many Wallabies or possible Wallabies are presently injured. I think it would be prudent to ignore them for the moment until they return and prove their fitness.

I include in that category, Scott Sio, Saia Fainga'a, Tatafu Potota Nau, Laurie Weeks (back but yet to prove his 80 minute fitness), Quade Cooper, Matt To'omua. I would also include overseas-based players who haven't returned yet to prove their form and fitness, such as Giteau, Mitchell. Any others?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm pretty sure JOC (James O'Connor) was capped so young because he was eligible for NZ. Was he ready for Test Match rugby at 18 and a few days? Taquele doesn't have to be in te starting team he would be a great impact player as 23rd man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
JOC (James O'Connor) wasn't capped because we risked losing him, it was because he was a rising star............

He played one test against Italy that year off the bench, and then started one Baa Baas match.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The reality now is that promising players AREN'T sticking around, they're going abroad, and under residency rules, can become eligible for OS teams. I'm not in favour of throwing Test caps around willy-nilly to brand players for Oz, but it is more problematic these days for countries like Oz who have trouble retaining players anyway. The players become half-good then bugger off and get capped OS.
I don't think Naiyaravoro is good enough for Test rugby yet, but I think he may well be in a year or two, so a cap in a "friendly" would not be outrageous.
Problem is that currently, his upsides (scoring tries that few, if any, wingers in Oz can) don't greatly outweigh the downsides.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's not just about "kicking to the corners". Its also about getting out of our 22 quickly and effectively. Falou does have a decent boot, but he ain't quick and effective about it, he seems to kick decently when he has time. Having another decent option in the wings just gives us that extra efficiency at the back.

For example, it gives Falou the option to 1. kick, 2. run, or 3. pass back inside to a kicker in a better position. That kicker can clear OR put up a bomb for Falou to regather. The third option wouldn't be very effective if he is passing back to Horne, Cummins, Nairya etc.

I think people underestimate how important it is for the back three to be able to get out of our own half. It simply limits our options and less options means more pressure.
Mate, hate to be pedantic, but it's Folau, not Falou. :D

T

TOCC

Because if we don't cap him he's off to Edinburgh and in 3 years time playing for Scotland.

He will be/is better than Nadolo.

If he is the best player in his position and has earned his selection by the end of the season then he deserves a jersey, if he isn't then the best then he doesn't deserve a jersey..

T

TOCC

Well, too many syllables has been officially signed by Glasgow now, announced on Twitter.

Dunno if that changes anything.

Someone asked that question and it seems he has packed his bags

227e5fdab83b20675cbe5f9d360a4839.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.