• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nadolo may have better skills at this stage, his hands are definitely better and can put in skilful passes and kicks but Nadolo turns just as slow and gets caught on defence too. Nadolo can kick too. But for me Taqele is the more damaging runner due to his physique, Nadolo is tall and rangy but Taqele is built like a fridge and when he gets that bump going it's very hard to bring him down where as going low on Nadolo usually works.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Lomu could win test matches, a true legend, one of the best players I have ever seen

Nadolo is not in the same class

But Nadolo is streets ahead in terms of development when compared to Taqele

Comparing Lomu to anyone is just a silly exercise, like I said above - he was a freak (even by today's standards) playing amongst players who nearly across the board would be physically dominated by their modern opposites. This was the basis upon which most of his legendary status was built.

The current model of Nadolo is a smarter, more skilled footballer in terms of pass-catch, kicking, and reading the game for players other than himself. His individual impact on matches is limited for the same reasons as I outlined above.

Sure.. but it would be a subjective thing?

Somewhat, but I don't think it will be that hard to tell. Two weeks sound good to you? Free choice of the winner.

We could even put it up to a poll in the post-match thread if you're worried about subjectivity.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It is a bit heretical, but I wonder how good Lomu would have been in today's game.

It goes without saying that he was without peer as a ball runner, probably would be the best in the world today with his physique, power, and speed.

However, he was not particularly good at some other aspects of the game, particularly when the ball was in the air. Which it is a lot more these days.

More's the pity.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You can only really judge players in absolute terms against others from their own era.

If you want to compare players from different eras against each other, the only objective way is by comparison to the players they played with and against.

You'd have to think that if Lomu played today he'd be better at catching the high ball because he'd spend more time practicing it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Naiyaravoro is nowhere near Nadolo now, but wind the clock back to Ratu Nasiganiyavi and I'd be hard-pressed to split them. When Nemani was Ratu, he was awful in defence, and his hands were like bricks at times.
BUT - any speculation that Taqele will become like Nemani is just that - a punt.
Is that punt worth a Wallaby cap? Dunno.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I reckon Taqele is ahead of Ratu. Remember that Ratu never even got to Super level, such were his inadequacies. Taqele is there, and whilst he has some issues, he's clearly a net positive and is well up to that level.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Naiyaravoro is nowhere near Nadolo now, but wind the clock back to Ratu Nasiganiyavi and I'd be hard-pressed to split them. When Nemani was Ratu, he was awful in defence, and his hands were like bricks at times.
BUT - any speculation that Taqele will become like Nemani is just that - a punt.
Is that punt worth a Wallaby cap? Dunno.
No punt needed, he has made his decision, he is gone

This is the second club he has negotiated with, not a "mistake" made before the season

Good luck to him and his family, bring on Kellaway next season

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Just gonna put this out there and I'm sure there'll be plenty of issues with this suggestion but could big Taquele enable the wallabies to start both hooper and pocock? In defence use him like a number 8 to stop people in their tracks in the tight. Have him add his 194cm 123kg profile to the TH flank. Put Hooper at fly half (I'm still talking defence only) and foley/Cooper to second fullback. The Tahs do this on defensive line outs any way. If Burgess can be used surely Taquele can (though it remains to be seen whether or not Burgess will actually make it.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The strategy of putting your winger in the scrum and your flanker in the defensive line is something that could happen. The Brumbies do it often.

I'm not sure how having both Pocock and Hooper on the field will benefit from this strategy.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Pocock and Hooper on the rield together just won't happen.
Both have strengths and weaknesses as well.
One or the other will be 7, probably on a rotational basis depending who we are playing
To pick either at 6 means much better 6's are left out.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Pocock and Hooper on the rield together just won't happen.
Both have strengths and weaknesses as well.
One or the other will be 7, probably on a rotational basis depending who we are playing
To pick either at 6 means much better 6's are left out.

Chances both will start are very very slim. However I think there is actually a pretty good chance one will come off the bench and replace our 6 or 8 leaving both on the field.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
As long as the "relacement" plays to his position - that is, as a 6 or 8

Well we saw it happen last year with Hodgeson. He didn't replace Hooper and he didn't go on the field to play like a 6 or an 8 - he came on the field and made turnovers which is part of his natural game.

The only thing different this year will be that the one coming off the bench will most likely get more game time then Hodgeson given Hooper and Pocock are probably the 2 best players we have.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Chances both will start are very very slim. However I think there is actually a pretty good chance one will come off the bench and replace our 6 or 8 leaving both on the field.

I'm going to ask this one again because no-one was able to provide a satisfactory answer last time I asked it..

I think if a 'weak' lineout is to cost us the game it's more likely to be at the end of the game than the start of it..so if we agree that Hooper and Pocock are to be on the field at the same time, what is the strategy behind finishing with that combo and hence a weaker lineout, rather than starting with it?

the lineout is the only area anyone can come up with as being a negative by-product of them playing together, otherwise they complement each other more perfectly than any other 6/7 combo..

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
weaker area with two opensides:

-Maul defence
-Lineout retention and defence
-Ball carrying (assuming Hooper is not the one being brought on)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think there is a satisfactory answer.

Many people are still trying to overcome conventional wisdom which says that Skelton shouldn't be a decent lock and Hooper isn't a good openside flanker.

The presumption is that the lineout should struggle without more height and more good jumpers.

The other assumption is that matches open up late in the game and this is a better period to have two opensides on the field. Whether that is the case or not is hard to tell. The truth is that it probably depends on the match. If it's close, teams are more likely to go into their shells and become more conservative. If one side is losing substantially they are more likely to throw the ball around and take more risks which will also give their opponent more opportunities.

In most instances, breakdown turnovers come after an ineffective cleanout. It's very rare that a turnover happens because a player is so isolated no support can get there at all. I tend to think more turnover opportunities come late in the game when players are getting tired and cleanouts suffer so having a fresh on the ball openside at that point of the game could pay greater dividends than having them at the start.

There are certainly plenty of conundrums thrown up and I bet Cheika will want to test out at least a few of them in the few matches he has before the RWC. Hooper and Pocock are two of the easiest selections in the squad and leaving one of them out of the starting XV and even matchday 23 will be difficult.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Depends where you want your ball carry's to occur. Gill has been devastating close to the ruck. Hooper better wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.