• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I know many are criticising JOC (James O'Connor) for his efforts, and I too have labelled his form as poor this year. But I still believe that he will be involved in the Wallaby squad this year, the form of many Australian wingers has been uninspiring in 2015 so I think the outside back positions are still up for anyone and will probably come down to TRC form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand your point but he's really below all of them on form. I understand that form isn't the be all and end all (eg ma'a nonu), but it honestly looks like back to back seasons has left him off the pace and there's little reason to suggest come test season he will be back there.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I understand your point but he's really below all of them on form. I understand that form isn't the be all and end all (eg ma'a nonu), but it honestly looks like back to back seasons has left him off the pace and there's little reason to suggest come test season he will be back there.

Plus I watched a few French games and Mitchell is looking real good. I would have him ahead of JOC (James O'Connor).

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
He also showed a lack of commitment on a couple of occasions when he stood there and watched a Sharks player pinch the ball. Rather than dive on it to secure it he appealed to the ref for an offside by throwing his arms in the air. Play the ball not the ref.

Stirzaker is good in this regard. Really gets stuck in when he needs to. Just saw the recording and thought he played well against the Stormers overnight in a match where he was constantly under pressure. Would pick him ahead of Genia at this stage.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Skelton
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. Palu/McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
14. Speight/Mitchell
15. Folau

16. Hanson/Latu
17. Sio
18. Alexander
19. Carter/Dennis
20. Hooper
21. White
22. Giteau/Lilo
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
  • Palu is still too hot or cold for me..but he's stood up in a few big games of late which might warrant him starting.
  • McCalman's form seems to have tapered off a bit in the last few games, but he's been playing in a poor team.
  • A fair bit of an unknown around Cooper having not played for pretty much the entire season so I've left him out of the 23, but would be in the squad.
  • Not interested in Beale or O'Connor as neither have shown much this season.
  • Stirzacker would be nipping on the heels of white albeit for a lack of test experience that may work against him.
  • I think you get good coverage having AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in 23 covering 11/13/14/15 and Gits/Lilo covering 10/12.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Skelton
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. Palu/McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
14. Speight/Mitchell
15. Folau

16. Hanson/Latu
17. Sio
18. Alexander
19. Carter/Dennis
20. Hooper
21. White
22. Giteau/Lilo
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
  • Palu is still too hot or cold for me..but he's stood up in a few big games of late which might warrant him starting.
  • McCalman's form seems to have tapered off a bit in the last few games, but he's been playing in a poor team.
  • A fair bit of an unknown around Cooper having not played for pretty much the entire season so I've left him out of the 23, but would be in the squad.
  • Not interested in Beale or O'Connor as neither have shown much this season.
  • Stirzacker would be nipping on the heels of white albeit for a lack of test experience that may work against him.
  • I think you get good coverage having AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in 23 covering 11/13/14/15 and Gits/Lilo covering 10/12.

I like this, excepting Alexander. IMO he shouldn't even be in the extended squad. Holmes and PAE before him, in that order after the last couple of games.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
I like this, excepting Alexander. IMO he shouldn't even be in the extended squad. Holmes and PAE before him, in that order after the last couple of games.

Not a bad argument to make, although I thought Alexander was good in last week's game and Holmes had a pretty average game last night. Overall Holmes is pushing hard for that spot..although I still think Alexander may be in the overall squad as he can play both sides adequately and has obvious benefits around the park.

I thought I might add that I think Vaea has been huge this year at number 8 for the Brumbies. Maybe it's a year too early, maybe it isn't...if we're throwing PAE into the mix I think Vaea has to be up there too in the number 8 position.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would have Alexander in the squad over PAE as the 5th prop (although I wouldn't be upset if it was PAE or Weeks instead), but Holmes on the bench as his scrummaging has been excellent.........

At this point in the season, I think Beale needs to single handedly win the comp for the Tahs if he wants to be anywhere near the squad.

Right now Foley, To'omua, Cooper and Lilo suitably cover 10/12.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I would have Alexander in the squad over PAE as the 5th prop (although I wouldn't be upset if it was PAE or Weeks instead), but Holmes on the bench as his scrummaging has been excellent...

At this point in the season, I think Beale needs to single handedly win the comp for the Tahs if he wants to be anywhere near the squad.

Right now Foley, To'omua, Cooper and Lilo suitably cover 10/12.
We REALLY need Cooper to be fit to give some flexibility in the 10/12 nexus. I now see To'omua and Leali'ifano as more 12s, albeit a bit different. I think Foley or Cooper with To'omua can work, not sure either with Leali'ifano works quite as well. Foley is running it to the line better now, what the Tahs (to look at current form, for example) lack is someone to make the second play that might generate (Beale isn't). I think To'omua can, plus he brings a solid defensive unit. It's not mercurial, but with players like Kuridrani / Folau / Speight / Horne / AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) etc... to run off him, it doesn't need to be, I reckon.
Cooper can add the mercurial, maybe as the starter, maybe as the finisher. But we gotta see him out there!

T

TOCC

Alexander has fallen behind Holmes and PAE... Though he would be next in line if one of those were injured IMO.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Who will be the selectors for the Wallaby squad for the RWC?
Anyone know - or is it Cheika, Cheika, and Cheika.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Surely the assistants would have some kind of influence in selections. You raise a good point though.

I know that people are super supportive of both PAE and Holmes not without reason, but were either of them included in Cheik's Wallaby meeting things? Do we know if he's even considering them for selection?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Surely the assistants would have some kind of influence in selections. You raise a good point though.

I know that people are super supportive of both PAE and Holmes not without reason, but were either of them included in Cheik's Wallaby meeting things? Do we know if he's even considering them for selection?
Not really. The Wallabies have pretty much always been selected by a panel, with the coach, of course, having the biggest say. I doubt it would be unilateral. I expect all assistants and probably other(s) on a panel would have input. It doesn't seem that Cheika runs a one-man band type outfit. At least not to me.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think the manner in which the Tahs played against the Crusaders has set the model for the Wallabies. We need to have only those players who are capable of playing with measured aggression as well as performing the core requirements of their positions.

Players who are coming to the fore imo include Dave Dennis, Luke Jones, Ita Vaea, Coleman (Force), Rory Arnold, Angus Cottrell, Lopeti Timani, Christian Lealiifano, Rob Horne and Taquele Nairyaravoro. Add them to the likes of Moore, Skelton, Pocock, Fardy, Palu and Folau and we are starting to get the mongrel that everyone seems to want, and that seems to spell success.

So, atm. I'd have Skelton, Dennis, Jones, Arnold and Coleman all in front of the softer players like Simmons and Carter. I'd certainly start Pocock at 7 but Michael Hooper would also get good game time. Fardy, Jones and Dennis to provide cover at No 6 and Palu, Vaea, Timani to cover No 8. I can't see a place for players like Hodgson and McCalman who really don't bend the line or put fear into the opposition, workaholics though they might be.

Same in the backline. No place for powder puff defenders like Beale or for others who haven't shown form in the Super comp, like JOC (James O'Connor). At this stage, Cooper must be in doubt on both counts, but in his case if fit and in form, his attacking ability is indisputable and would have to be in the squad.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
^^^
I think the pack is crystallising for me to:-
Slipper
Moore
Kepu
Skelton
Simmons
Fardy
Pocock
Palu

to start. Question marks for me a little for Simmons, but his Test form late last year was good, so benefit of the doubt.

Reserve forwards:-
Sio
???? Hanson (bit stymied here for now)
Holmes
Dennis (maybe - versatile covering lock / 6) / Jones does too
Hooper
McCalman - he has mongrel and great worker - Vaea looks a bit short of fitness but impactful, Timani - ? maybe still a bit raw

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's more or less it for me too Cyclo. Guys like Moore, Fardy, Skelton and Pocock will form the backbone of the pack for mine and I think there's some real starch in there. We'll need that to get out of our group, which is the only thing we should be aiming for at the moment -- it will be tough enough just doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.