• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Mitchell would have to be at the longest odds of those mentioned. He wasnt play well at all when he left (lost a couple of yards of pace). Put JOC (James O'Connor), beale or any of the smokeys mentioned on the end of that Toulon backline in france and you would be getting back great reports too!

BUT prior to Mitchells injury he was in scintillating form. World XV form. He has signs of this form this year at Toulon. His defence is also looking great, and he is DOMINATE into contact - something neither JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale have. Combined this with his his kicking skills, his passing skills, finishing ability, and his international experience - it really does paint a pretty good picture in Mitchells favour.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
BUT prior to Mitchells injury he was in scintillating form. World XV form. He has signs of this form this year at Toulon. His defence is also looking great, and he is DOMINATE into contact - something neither JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale have. Combined this with his his kicking skills, his passing skills, finishing ability, and his international experience - it really does paint a pretty good picture in Mitchells favour.
Agree he was probably the best winger in world prior to those big injuries.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Worth adding to that he is probably our second best available form 15 as well.

abcde

Peter Burge (5)
I wouldn't have considered Mitchell originally for a wing spot, but I definitely think he's worth looking into as a backup fullback over JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale....

Has anybody else considered throwing Mikey Harris into the mix for 15/12/10 cover? He's been great for the Rebs this year, and I'd back him as being more effective for his side than JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale put together! Also has experience with national duties..? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Has anybody else considered throwing Mikey Harris into the mix for 15/12/10 cover? He's been great for the Rebs this year, and I'd back him as being more effective for his side than JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale put together! Also has experience with national duties..? Thoughts?

no

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Lilo and Gits are far better options for 10, 12. He would be decent cover for 15.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I wouldn't have considered Mitchell originally for a wing spot, but I definitely think he's worth looking into as a backup fullback over JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale....

His wing/15 coverage adds to his appeal in a squad situation

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Super Rugby v Top 14 is hardly apples for apples. I think it pays to remember that JOC (James O'Connor) had a very impressive stint with toulon also... view video (plus defence) Particularly when you consider some of the players inside Mitchell feeding him quality ball. Giteau, halfpenny, bastareud, michalek just to name a few.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I have mentioned DHP before as a backup 15. He has also played a lot of wing he could be a smoky for a wing/fullback spot. his form is very very good ATM and would be a great backup if we are looking for a wing/fullback considering Jocs and Beatles form.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just read somewhere that Alexander just signed a new 12 month deal with the ARU. That is surely a strong indication that he will be one of the Cheika's 5 props at the world cup. IF Cheika wasn't interested in him for the wallabies, he wouldn't get a top-up

I still think he's going to be right on the bubble if everyone stays healthy (and Sio returns well).

When you consider that Kepu is going offshore and has a top up contract, Sio hasn't played enough, Holmes hasn't played for the Wallabies for a long time, PAE is a chance at the RWC and isn't here next year it doesn't leave many options for top up contracts under the ARU rules.

Presumably Slipper, Kepu, Alexander and Robinson are all on top up contracts currently and there aren't currently any options to take their place based on the minimum tests/seasons as a Wallaby rule.

abcde

Peter Burge (5)
I have mentioned DHP before as a backup 15. He has also played a lot of wing he could be a smoky for a wing/fullback spot. his form is very very good ATM and would be a great backup if we are looking for a wing/fullback considering Jocs and Beatles form.

DHP is great this year, but I'd still pip Harris over him

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Excuse my ignorance, but I had understood that players who contract with the ARU are getting a top up on their Super Rugby contract. Can someone explain? I thought only a select few actually contract with the ARU.

Status
Not open for further replies.