• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
George is obviously a very good player, but it's not a position we are short in quality depth and yes the rules have changed to allow him to be selected but that doesn't mean he should be selected..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also doesn't mean he shouldn't be part of the squad. I liked the recent article where Phil Waugh stated the value of having an experienced player like Smith around, and the positive affect is has on the rest of the squad.

At least bring him in to train with the squad for the Rugby Championship, even with no intention of starting him, I don't think their is anything wrong with that.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
George is obviously a very good player, but it's not a position we are short in quality depth and yes the rules have changed to allow him to be selected but that doesn't mean he should be selected..

somehow i feel like you deserve to co-located with some sticks, a pole and fire.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Journalists ask questions and the coach needs to engage on a level greater than saying "no comment" or "I haven't decided."

Damn right. What does he mean, "hasn't decided?" We're entitled to know everything, instantly, even before it happens if necessary. Greg Growden understood this, and had the simple human decency to make stuff up when officials weren't forthcoming with information that supporters need - deserve - to have. Woodward, Bernstein, Growden. Just repeat that and everything will become deliciously drowsy.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

Burn the heretic!!!!!

You treasonous scurvy dog!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

I tend to agree, it would be mightily unfair if he got selected before Hooper, Poey or Gill.

But in an extended squad he might just get the nod then if he performs in the training he might get a chance and might steal his spot..

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I wouldn't mind smith as a back row reserve coming off the bench.

Say assuming we had a 6:2 split on bench could go

4) Skelton
5) Simmons
6)fardy
7)pocock
8)palu

19) jones
20) hooper
21) smith

Last 15-20

Jones on for Skelton, hooper on for fardy and smith on for palu.

We do lose a bit in the line outs but those 3 would terrorise any team especially towards the back end of the game, pocock in tight, hooper out wide and smith everywhere inbetween.

T

Train Without a Station

So people are debating whether Hooper and Pocock are feasible and now people are talking about a 3rd 7 in the 23?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434023134.784777.jpg

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Last time I checked smith had been playing almost exclusively at 8 the past 2 years, palu ain't gonna last 80 mins

Tempted to call you a retard but not a big fan of that word.....

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wouldn't mind smith as a back row reserve coming off the bench.

Say assuming we had a 6:2 split on bench could go

4) Skelton
5) Simmons
6)fardy
7)pocock
8)palu

19) jones
20) hooper
21) smith

Last 15-20

Jones on for Skelton, hooper on for fardy and smith on for palu.

We do lose a bit in the line outs but those 3 would terrorise any team especially towards the back end of the game, pocock in tight, hooper out wide and smith everywhere inbetween.

And what happens when there is a scrum in the back end of the game? There will be three Aussie forwards all with their heads up not pushing in the scrum, looking to see which way the opposition is going to pass the ball. Meanwhile the scrum will be going backwards at a rate of knots........

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
And what happens when there is a scrum in the back end of the game? There will be three Aussie forwards all with their heads up not pushing in the scrum, looking to see which way the opposition is going to pass the ball. Meanwhile the scrum will be going backwards at a rate of knots....

Cheika: boys, at the scrum, put your fucking heads down and push

Hooper, pocock and smith: ok

Problem fucking solved if cheika sees it as a problem it's a easy fix

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I tend to agree, it would be mightily unfair if he got selected before Hooper, Poey or Gill.

But in an extended squad he might just get the nod then if he performs in the training he might get a chance and might steal his spot..

I think you'll be disappointed if you're expecting George Smith to win his spot through his performance at training. One of the legendary under-trainers. You never know though!

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Cheika: boys, at the scrum, put your fucking heads down and push

Hooper, pocock and smith: ok

Problem fucking solved if cheika sees it as a problem it's a easy fix

Watch how these guys scrum, they're all bopping their heads up like apples in a bucket.

Smith was even doing it in the Barbarians game.

You think Cheika saying "don't do it" will somehow change what these guys have been doing for years. I don't think so.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Watch how these guys scrum, they're all bopping their heads up like apples in a bucket.

Smith was even doing it in the Barbarians game.

You think Cheika saying "don't do it" will somehow change what these guys have been doing for years. I don't think so.

Bloody oath, pretty widely known that if cheika says something it isn't a suggestion and isn't treated as such

The real question is would cheika tell them not to do it? Personally I hate that they do it but he has had hooper at the tahs for ages and nothing has changed which obviously means he doesn't see it as a problem........which is a worry

T

TOCC

And so its begun.... People want 3 open side flankers playing across all back row positions...

Obviously suggested by those who have no regard for the set piece.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd be astonished if Cheika went with all three on the paddock at once. What advantage does it give us anyway? Seems to me that we lose a hell of a lot by reducing the size/bulk of our pack to gain in mobility and handling skill. Back rows are all about balance and the rock shifting and hard carry grunt work isn't going to get done by three opensides.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
On what planet this man live?!

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/a...its-to-play-a-power-game-20150604-ghgahz.html

Bigger than the All Blacks: Wallabies have the units to play a power game

A formidable Wallabies midfield bigger than Ma'a Nonu and Conrad Smith? It's an option. A bruising blindside larger than Jerome Kaino? Can do. A giant back three averaging well over 100 kilograms a man? Possibly.

The likes of Samu Kerevi (108kg), Lopeti Timani (123kg) and will-he-won't he winger Taqele Naiyaravoro (I'm guessing anywhere between 120kg and 140kg) have thrust their large frames into the spotlight. And when you line them up alongside the likes of Will Skelton, big ball-carrying hookers such as Stephen Moore, No.13 Tevita Kuridrani, Wycliff Palu, Israel Folau and the half-human, half-boulder that is David Pocock it changes the landscape, dramatically. If power is king in the modern game the Wallabies can be among the big boys again.

How the Wallabies and All Blacks might compare

1. James Slipper (118kg)
2. Stephen Moore (112kg)
3. Sekope Kepu (125kg)
4. Will Skelton (140kg)
5. Rob Simmons (115kg)
6. Lopeti Timani (123kg)
7. David Pocock (106kg)
8. Wycliff Palu (115kg)
9. Nick Phipps (87kg)
10. Bernard Foley (89kg)
11. Adam Ashley-Cooper (98kg)