• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
That squad doesn't change who I think will be in the final 31 with the exception of the 5th prop. And I had JOC (James O'Connor) bracketed with KB (Kurtley Beale) so it sorts that one out for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Loosehead prop
Scott Sio (Brumbies)
James Slipper (Reds)
Toby Smith (Rebels)*

Hooker
James Hanson (Reds/Rebels)
Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
Tatafu Polota-Nau (Waratahs)

Tighthead prop
Tetera Faulkner (Force)
Greg Holmes (Reds)
Sekope Kepu (Waratahs)

Lock
Rory Arnold (Brumbies)*
Dave Dennis (Waratahs)
James Horwill (Reds)
Dean Mumm (Waratahs)
Rob Simmons (Reds)
Will Skelton (Waratahs)

Flanker
Scott Fardy (Brumbies)
Scott Higginbotham (Rebels)
Michael Hooper (Waratahs)
Sean McMahon (Rebels)
David Pocock (Brumbies)

Eight
Wyclif Palu (Waratahs)
Ben McCalman (Force)

Scrumhalf
Will Genia (Reds)
Nick Phipps (NSW Waratahs)
Nic White (Brumbies)

Flyhalf
Quade Cooper (Reds)
Bernard Foley (Waratahs)

Centre
Adam Ashley-Cooper (Waratahs)
Matt Giteau (Toulon)
Samu Kerevi (Reds)*
Tevita Kuridrani (Brumbies)
Christian Lealiifano (Brumbies)
Matt To'omua (Brumbies)

Wing
Rob Horne (Waratahs)
Drew Mitchell (Toulon)
Taqele Naiyaravoro (Waratahs)*
Henry Speight (Brumbies)
Joe Tomane (Brumbies)

Fullback
Kurtley Beale (Waratahs)

Israel Folau (Waratahs)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mumm is a big call, but I understand he did really well in the UK and is a good lineout option

T

Train Without a Station

At least is a new face. I'm tired of the good performances of Alexander at Super Rugby and then his poor performances at test level.

Goodbye Alexander and Robinson. Their careers at test level have ended.

Now we have the scrum's guru, sir Mario Ledesma

The old "anybody else must be better".

If Alexander is good at Super Rugby and poor at test level, what's Faulkner going to be when he's poor to average at Super Rugby level to begin with?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Some surprises in there. I'm with others in saying no Jones, WTF? No Robinson and Alexander is for the best I think, we've moved past those guys and their scrummaging just wasn't good enough at test level (especially Benny A). Mumm can consider himself lucky and Arnold is s bolter, though I think Cheika has a plan for him. Michael likes big blokes who impose themselves on the game and Rory is both of those. He can jump too, which is good. No JOC (James O'Connor) is interesting and probably right.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well. Some poor selections still:

Arnold - I think he's a year off. Can't put him ahead of Coleman and definitely not Jones.

Faulkner - Offers very little. Seemingly as a 3rd tighthead but in this case I believe Alexander offers more
Giteau - As I noted earlier. Same flaws still exist in his game so surely he'd be 3rd choice at best at 10 or 12. Hardly merits a spot really
Kerevi - Has flaws which would be badly exposed at test level

McMahon - Not a test 6 and there's already 2 7's. Wasted spot.
Mumm - Poor selection. On experience he has never been a great performer for Australia, and his current form hasn't been amazingly compelling.
Naiyaravoro - I think he has too many flaws in his game and he offer zero versatility. JOC (James O'Connor), who I don't mind not seeing there at least offered versatility and a kicking option. Naiyaravoro is a little too one dimensional.

Pretty much agree with all your observations @TWAS but I would put Coleman and Arnold on par, so no real surprise one is selected over the other.

I'm also not unhappy about the inclusion of Naiyaravoro even given his limitations in defense. He will be a very good inclusion in the opposed training sessions for the starting wingers.

But I do hold the same view in respect of each of the others you have commented on.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The old "anybody else must be better".

If Alexander is good at Super Rugby and poor at test level, what's Faulkner going to be when he's poor to average at Super Rugby level to begin with?

Faulkner must be rated as a THP by the coaches, when fit he is selected and the Force scrum is solid

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I reckon that's a pretty good squad. Only one bloke genuinely unlucky, and that is Luke Jones.

Always the focus will be on the one or two strange choices, but in reality I reckon he's got it 95% right here. Always going to get a few left field choices in a squad of 40, but I doubt many of them end up in the final 31.

T

Train Without a Station

Pretty much agree with all your observations @TWAS but I would put Coleman and Arnold on par, so no real surprise one is selected over the other.

I'm also not unhappy about the inclusion of Naiyaravoro even given his limitations in defense. He will be a very good inclusion in the opposed training sessions for the starting wingers.

But I do hold the same view in respect of each of the others you have commented on.

My thoughts on Arnold were due to him tailing off a little as the year went off. Very common for younger players. Coleman held his form a little better I felt.

I think Arnold's best is behind him for 2015, but obviously will be even better in 2016.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'd be a new face also.... doesn't mean I'm deserving.

Faulkner is the third option at THP. At least he doesn't carry on his shoulders the heavy burden of being beaten by all top class props at test level in the last 5 years

Thanks sir Mario Ledesma!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Thought Robbo would have got a shot but Slips and Sio a long way ahead of him. Fucking shame - he never gets the opportunity of a RWC - Test career looks over, same with Benny A. Both have represented Australia to the best of their ability over a long period - they were OUR best at the time so thanks fellas.

Jones was talked up a lot by a few posters on here but their efforts were in vain. Muuuuum was a real surprise for me.

Good to see Mitchell and Gits in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.