• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see how many of the squad/shadow squad play in the first round or two of the NRC.

There are two rounds of the NRC played before the RWC squad needs to be named. I'm pretty sure the 40 man squad for the USA game will have already left before the second round of the NRC though.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I would hope so. Once of them would have to fail pretty badly for that to happen I reckon, however.

There already half way there. If they duplicate their previous performances I'd say either one is gone.

Also Lilo will still need a solid performance against Japan - which probably won't do him any favours, he seems to the type of player who can step up for big games but also be quiet against easier opposition.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Which is why the Wallabies don't need to pick 18 forwards (i.e. 6 backrowers). They only need 17. Which means they can select 14 backs and have proper opposed training without Larkham having to don a "no contact" shirt.

The Wallabies usually draft players in for opposed training. I remember Nemani Nadolo in that role, before he changed his name and became famous.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I definitely think the team that represents the Wallabies best shot at RWC glory.

1. Sio
2. Moore (c)
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. To'omua
13. TK
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Holmes
19. Skelton
20. McCalman or Palu
21. Genia
22. Giteau
23. Beale or Mitchell

T

TOCC

Kane Douglas is in camp training with the Wallabies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Wallabies usually draft players in for opposed training. I remember Nemani Nadolo in that role, before he changed his name and became famous.

Good memory recall, there. Can extra players be used at the RWC, though?

Wallabies002

Frank Row (1)
I definitely think the team that represents the Wallabies best shot at RWC glory.

1. Sio
2. Moore (c)
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. To'omua
13. TK
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Holmes
19. Skelton
20. McCalman or Palu
21. Genia
22. Giteau
23. Beale or Mitchell
Strong side
Swap Kane Douglas in, Get Cooper out for Giteau and find room for Rob Horne.
Backrow is solid

Wallabies002

Frank Row (1)
Having watched the Wales game at the weekend following on from the Wallabies, a definate point of attack is going to be the scrum,
Adam Jones the Welsh tight head having fell out with Gatland has retired from rep rugby and there is no adequate replacement at international level,If one recalls the Lions tour it was the destructive forces of the English tighthead Alex Corbserio which dismantled the Australian scrum.Great news for Wallabies fans a scrum that can offer ascendancy against the Welsh at the World Cup .
Another interesting note from watching England this year is the development of a running game driven by a new outhalf in George Ford with Lions scrum half Ben Youngs in support at scrum half .Make no mistake England will and always do target the scrum but in Ford have a influential game running threat at 10.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Good memory recall, there. Can extra players be used at the RWC, though?

Probably get boys from the Blues or Scarlets before the Fiji game, Worcester or Wasps for before the Uruguay game and Quins or Sarries before the other two, given that there's no League games during that period.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Should never have been selected. How many times in recent years have we gone into tests/RWC campaigns with injured players? Will we never learn. For this reason I wouldn't have Carter and JOC (James O'Connor) near the RWC squad, and I'm surprised Douglas now attends gold training; he's been injured for most of 2015 and played bugger all rugby.

Carter, Douglas and JOC (James O'Connor) can make themselves eligible for injury cover through quality performances in the NRC.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Probably get boys from the Blues or Scarlets before the Fiji game, Worcester or Wasps for before the Uruguay game and Quins or Sarries before the other two, given that there's no League games during that period.

So that McMahon can get a seat?

Dunno.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
and I'm surprised Douglas now attends gold training; he's been injured for most of 2015 and played bugger all rugby.

Carter has been around the Wallabies all year. He's in every change room - I don't know if he's been training however.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Players always get niggles such that they can't train, but can play, or that they'll miss a match or two, but won't be out for the tournament.

If a couple of players get niggles, and Wasps are willing to send them down, getting players like George Smith, or Frank Halai, or whomever to play in opposed sessions would be ideal.​
It's not so McMahon could be selected, I just don't like going in without 2 full packs and an extra pair of front rowers. I'm against that for Scotland too, even though we've probably got the players capable of covering it.​

Status
Not open for further replies.