• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm thinking that our team against Fiji and England will be very close to this:

Sio, Moore, Kepu
Douglas, Simmons
Fardy, Pocock, Hooper
Phipps, Foley
Giteau, Kuridrani
Mitchell/Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

TPN, Slipper, Holmes
Mumm, Skelton
Genia, To'omua, Beale

Really not sure about who will get the nod out of Horne and Mitchell. They both offer completely different things.

I think Fardy, Pocock and Hooper will all be pencilled in to play close to 80 minutes which means that Skelton might get the bench spot over McCalman, Palu or McMahon.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The big question mark for me is how do you use Skelton. Presuming Pooper starts the game, do you really want to take either off the field? That potentially leaves you with line-out issues in the final 30 minutes.

I suppose they simply need to be very creative and for the hookers to nail their throws.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If Horne is in the side he's almost never likely to be at the back having to field a high ball. He'll be defending in the line.
I tend to think Mitchell should be selected,and play the traditional role in D.
Otherwise we have a back 3 that can't kick for shit.
Foley doesn't really improve things much in that regard either.
I'd pick To'omua & Gits @ 10/12 & Mitchell on the wing.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
for me today highlights that Palu is way past his best. can play 8 against Uraguay but thats it, injury permitting. McCalman was much better, (more efficient/effective). Mc Mahon could well have played himself onto the reserves bench. Simmons and Douglas i think will start the big games, Mumm will certainly be on the bench and then one of Skelton, McCalman or McMahon. i think the reserves backs will be Genia/Phipps, To'omua/Giteau (whoever is not in the 15) and Beale. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Mitchell to start on the wings. can't see either Tomane or Speight being selected if the others are fit. however i would not be at all surprised to see Horne in the starting team, standing at IC in defence.

I've been a huge fan of Cliffy over the years but I have to agree. We have better options now. Also re McMahon. Sure he lacks height for the lineout, but what an engine.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I reckon Mitchell is better with the high ball than Horne,which is more important than perceived superior d v the Poms IMO.

The Poms have been talking up Jonny May as a power runner after his bullocking try against Ireland. He smashed the defence like a very small hammer smashes a very brittle thing.*

*It was a good try.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think I'd also pick Mitchell.

I'm confused when To'omua's kicking has been much better. His match against the All Blacks at Eden Park was probably the worst test by any Australian inside back this year. His kicking was particularly atrocious.

Expecting a new starting 10 seems pretty unrealistic at this stage. I think it will be Foley but Cooper is the only other serious candidate.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
it will, injury permitting, be Foley or Cooper, the other won't be in the 23 for that game, IMO. Like BH i'm thinking Foley, ( but my heart says give it to QC (Quade Cooper))

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
To'omua looks much better as a finisher, and has the flexibility to offer what we need off the bench at both 10 and centre.

foley to start imo, and the level of saltiness on the forum will cause oceanographers an immense amount of frustration for an extended period of time with skewed measurements of ocean salinity.

B

Bazarov

The Poms have been talking up Jonny May as a power runner after his bullocking try against Ireland. He smashed the defence like a very small hammer smashes a very brittle thing.*

*It was a good try.
Generational deficiencies from post war rationing have a lot to answer for.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm thinking that our team against Fiji and England will be very close to this:

Sio, Moore, Kepu
Douglas, Simmons
Fardy, Pocock, Hooper
Phipps, Foley
Giteau, Kuridrani
Mitchell/Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

TPN, Slipper, Holmes
Mumm, Skelton
Genia, To'omua, Beale

Really not sure about who will get the nod out of Horne and Mitchell. They both offer completely different things.

I think Fardy, Pocock and Hooper will all be pencilled in to play close to 80 minutes which means that Skelton might get the bench spot over McCalman, Palu or McMahon.

That all makes good sense BH, but personally, on recent form I'd rather Genia to start over Nick Phipps. Sio's spot starting or reserve LHP against England will depend entirely on both Moore and TPN coming through the earlier games injury free. If one of them picks up a niggle sufficient to miss the England match, Sio will be on the bench as hooker cover (which I think is a real reduction in out front row stocks).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Of course all selections are dependent on players not being injured. I think it's easier to assume that Sio will be available to play prop than any other permutations at this stage.

I really don't mind who Cheika chooses at halfback. Phipps needs better protection as he'll be passing from the base of the ruck and every test this year has seen the reserve halfback look better than the starting one.

If Genia starts he needs to play up to the speed our breakdown work allows us to play at. If Phipps starts he needs to not try and play at a faster pace than our breakdown work is allowing us.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
That all makes good sense BH, but personally, on recent form I'd rather Genia to start over Nick Phipps. Sio's spot starting or reserve LHP against England will depend entirely on both Moore and TPN coming through the earlier games injury free. If one of them picks up a niggle sufficient to miss the England match, Sio will be on the bench as hooker cover (which I think is a real reduction in out front row stocks).
Also, one of Phipps or Genia might get injured which will mean giteau will have to cover for halfback. Additionally, either pocock or hooper might pick up a niggle which means we won't be able to field the pooper which could derail the whole campaign. On top of that TK might be out too which will mean AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will have to start at 13 and Horne will need to be in the 23 somewhere to cover if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) gets hurt in the game. Not to mention if Izzy picks up a sniffle and KB (Kurtley Beale) has to start at fullback. Sheesh, what a shambles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
Ok everyone I don't know about you but I'm sick of the maybe he'll get injured or he'll get an injury.
I going for a positive out look from now on.
We can win this thing.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I can't see Phipps starting....Genia with Foley and Giteau starting at 12 - with To'omua on the bench which means have to have 5/3 bench.

This makes it tricky as Mumm a must on bench to cover lock and 6....Douglas starting with Simmons. Skelton, McMahon and McCalman to fight out for final forwards bench spot. Hard to pick that one.....as mumm provides the lock cover.....not so sure though that Skelton is the preferred one out of the 3.

Horne vs Mitchell for other wing spot with one who misses out - out of 23. I also wonder if left field if Beale bolter for starting wing position....with Mitchell or Horne on bench. I would not discount that. Forget Tomane (defensive frailities) and Spreight (just not the form he had a year ago and offered not much in recent game. They will play in the games like Urugray.

Likewise Cooper.....too inconsistent and risky for what they want at flyhalf. More now Foley's spot to lose....

Status
Not open for further replies.