• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It's the only solid combination we have. Cheika has been reinforcing it constantly since the Wallabies season began because he probably realises that. I will admit, Foley and Phipps played terrible during the Rugby Championships and were easily the worst players in a good side during the first Bledisloe, but they have both improved immensely since then. It is a proven success to me anyway. If you doubt that combination then what would you opt for?
I would pick them too. They are our best option as starters.

I just don't think they'd plated very well as a combination so far. I wish I wasn't so uneasy about our inside backs a week out.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I would pick Genia, Foley and To'omua too at this stage with Gits coming off the bench (an ideal role for him IMO). I do however still think Quade is more likely to win is a game than lose it these days, but he's run out of time to prove it so Foley is the guy barring injury or spectacular loss of all of his marbles

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think its not unfair to say Quade's form hasn't been very good in the lead up to the RWC. We all know he's quite a hot and cold player. If he was in top form, I'd select him at 10, but on current form I'd go with Foley.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The To'omua / Giteau selection is an interesting one. Last night Kafe said that he expected To'omua at 12 with Gits on the bench. Either way is fine with me, but I tend to think that we are probably better off with To'omua's added physicality on the field. Save for 1 poor game against the All Blacks at Eden Park, he's been an exceptional 12 for us.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
What I find interesting that since Larkham came out in the press to state that we can expect to see two different starting 15's for the early rounds of the RWC, there has been a general reference by the pundits that we will see an A-team and a B-Team. Given that we basically saw what would otherwise represent a B-Team against the Eagles last weekend, why are so many here on the boards convinced that Phipps & Foley, who both started last weekend, the halves for the A-Team moving forward?

Could it be that despite what many on the GAGR boards feel, that the A-Team halves as far as Cheika & Larkham are concerned is actually Genia & Cooper (possibly even To'omua as the the A-Team #12)????? I would argue that the latter combination would fit more sensibly with the rotations we have seen through TRC and Eagles test, in light of the "2-Team selection" setup.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I agree with @jolly swagman. I have a funny feeling they already selected the halves pairing for Fiji BEFORE the USA test, and would not change despite the outcome of the test. And that could very well have been Genia, Cooper and To'omua. It certainly fits the rotation strategy they are implementing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Of course we could be reading it wrong.

I think the signs point the other way though. We did play mostly the B team against the USA with the exception of people who needed game time like Rob Simmons and Kane Douglas (and you'd expect one of them at least to be in the A team).

Phipps, Foley and Giteau either didn't play at all or were on the bench (Giteau) for the last test against the All Blacks. They also needed game time.

I tend to think if the selection decision for the 10 was still up in the air that Cooper would have replaced Foley at 10 in the second half of the USA game. Instead he came on and played fullback.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Phipps had a bit of a shocker against the ABs and it was because the dirty darkness had their hands all over the ball. He then had a shocker against USA and it was because he didn't get any protection from his underperforming forward pack. When is he going to be held responsible for his own poor form?

He also ended the super xv in poor form for the same reasons, which is why Genia started the first test.

It has started to worry me that he hasn't improved over this test season, and I think Genia has improved.

I would have put my money on Phipps to start as his up-tempo game has been great the last 2 years, and Genia's game has been poor - but now I see Genia improving and Phipps picking up bad habits.

I hope they sort there shit out. A Genia of 2011 or a Phipps of 2014 will do us very well.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Of course we could be reading it wrong.

I think the signs point the other way though. We did play mostly the B team against the USA with the exception of people who needed game time like Rob Simmons and Kane Douglas (and you'd expect one of them at least to be in the A team).

Phipps, Foley and Giteau either didn't play at all or were on the bench (Giteau) for the last test against the All Blacks. They also needed game time.

I tend to think if the selection decision for the 10 was still up in the air that Cooper would have replaced Foley at 10 in the second half of the USA game. Instead he came on and played fullback.

I think your right about Phipps and Foley - although there is a slight amount of doubt in my mind.

I think it's a different story for To'omua and Gits though. They have had plenty of game time and I think Cheika knows what he can get out of them. If he prefers To'omua it would certainly make sense for Cheika to rest him against the USA given his style of play and risk of injury.

I'm putting my money on Phipps, Foley, To'omua to start.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some Fringe Wobs will be in Europe on short term contracts to cover club player absences at RWC. This may be useful to the Wobs to have those players "locally" in case of injury call up noting that they will still have to wait 48 hours before they can join the team but there will be no jet lag issues.

Do the "Joker" contracts used by the Euro Clubs during RWC include a clause allowing for International call up without breaching the contract or the ARU being up for quadzillions of Euros in compensation?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do the "Joker" contracts used by the Euro Clubs during RWC include a clause allowing for International call up without breaching the contract or the ARU being up for quadzillions of Euros in compensation?

I'd assume they'd still be subject to Regulation 9 or whatever it is and international teams could request a player to be released.

None of the fringe players like Carter would be doing it if it erased their chances of getting a RWC call up.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The Joker deals have to be allowed by the Super Rugby clubs. I know Chris F'Sautia was offered a rather large deal for 6 weeks but the Reds said no and made him stay to play for Queensland country (as they are entitled to do)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The Joker deals have to be allowed by the Super Rugby clubs. I know Chris F'Sautia was offered a rather large deal for 6 weeks but the Reds said no and made him stay to play for Queensland country (as they are entitled to do)

You'd think overseas experience would do him good in terms of development, maybe not as good as super rugby but you'd think it would certainly be better then NRC. Plus exposure to a whole different style and coaching set-up you'd think would be great for him. Bad choice by the Reds IMO - probably scared he'll like it too much and won't come back.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Phipps had a bit of a shocker against the ABs and it was because the dirty darkness had their hands all over the ball. He then had a shocker against USA and it was because he didn't get any protection from his underperforming forward pack. When is he going to be held responsible for his own poor form?

The problem with that sentiment is that it's actually true that the ABs were interfering with Phipps at the breakdown. And the Wobs did fail to adjust to the Eagles' breakdown strategy, resulting in the Eagles having more defenders that attackers in the line, allowing them to play an unimpeded rush defence in the first half of the game.

Neither did Phipps have a "shocker". One bad boxkick was the worst of it. He was just ordinary. You can't blame Phipps for Foley and Giteau being continuously sacked deep in the pocket.

None of which alters the fact that Genia was better than Phipps when he came on. Although he managed the obligatory bad boxkick as well.

If we wanted shit boxkicks then we should've picked Nick White.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
If you're assessing Phipps and Foley on the USA side which incidentally most of the sides in our group could beat at a canter, is this wise, Cooper I must admit frightens the life out of me when he's good, but when he's bad he really is very bad,
I've also noticed the main teams of concern are Fiji and England, well I don't know too much about Fiji, but Englands pack has been well beaten of late, they don't have the same oomph as they once had, but their backs are very good, May the winger (11) is very quick give him half a yard he'll be under the sticks, Brown their fullback is also one to watch,
They have a new centre partnership of Burgess (ex rugby league) and Joseph two very big units,
At 10 Farrell or Ford the jury is still out up here who should start, but both are capable, Youngs or Care at 9 will be a hand full for any side,

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Wales have had a rash of injuries Webb and 1/2p are out, We have cover for these but, AWJ has still not had the all clear, Jamie Roberts is I think good to go, without these two players, I feel our WC would be over before it were to start,
However good news on the TH side of the scrum our best TH is back to training and could feature against England,

B

Bazarov

Wales have had a rash of injuries Webb and 1/2p are out, We have cover for these but, AWJ has still not had the all clear, Jamie Roberts is I think good to go, without these two players, I feel our WC would be over before it were to start,
However good news on the TH side of the scrum our best TH is back to training and could feature against England,
Do you mean Mr Samson Lee?

Status
Not open for further replies.