• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Well if this was 2011 that would be fair. But it's 2014.

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
I still hope Beale doesn't play another test this year, and understand the outrage people feel over the decision to recall him for this tour, but I won't deny the reality that his team mates back him, his current coach backs him, and the former coach backed him.

I'm not so arrogant as to think I know the situation or the person better than all of those professionals, who work with him, and have a bigger stake in how he plays than mere sporting or national pride.

T

Tip

I'm starting to think that Folau needs to play wing so that Tevita knows he has to pass the ball.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Crawford produced some excellent rugby in 2013 but that has been it.

I think this would need to be a RWC 2019 thread for him to come into consideration though.

He'll be hard pressed getting a starting spot at the Rebels in 2015.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't get a lot of time on the park with the Rebels in 2015, and probably most of it at 15. Not many other experienced options as far as I can see.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He was good enough to be on the shortlist for IRB player of the year in 2010 as a fullback. Australia didn't have one nominee on that shortlist in 2014.

.and McKenzie (mistakenly) thought Beale was good enough to start at fly half in a Bledisloe test 4 months ago, despite not having played the position all year. So let's not put it all on Cheika, or let Beale's off field actions cloud the reality of what he can bring on the field.

Link really stuffed up by selecting Beale at 10 for the first two Bledisloes when he hadn't been playing there for a long time. What makes you think Cheika isn't going to similarly stuff up if he selects Beale at 15 when he hasn't played there in a long time?

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
What makes you think Cheika isn't going to similarly stuff up if he selects Beale at 15 when he hasn't played there in a long time?

The level of complexity or degree of difficulty is lower, Beale has succeeded at 15 before, and he already spends a fair amount of time positionally at the back playing aerial ping pong.

It's a bit of a worry that sensible people are thinking Izzy needs to be moved. That seemed like one position we had locked down, hopefully it's only a temporary aberration.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've been an adamant Palu supporter but he's not longer in my WC plans. He'll get injured from god knows what. He just disappeared this year, had concussion after the home SA test and hasn't been seen since. Anyone know what's up? After McCalman's performance on Saturday he should be the front running 8.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I've been an adamant Palu supporter but he's not longer in my WC plans. He'll get injured from god knows what. He just disappeared this year, had concussion after the home SA test and hasn't been seen since. Anyone know what's up? After McCalman's performance on Saturday he should be the front running 8.

I hear you, I'm much the same about Palu as he's been a good servant at many levels for a long time.
I think it comes down to the players and who makes the most impact as a team mate.
They seem to love Cliffy.

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu
4. James Horwill (wish Kane Douglas or Hugh Pyke were around still but oh well)
5. Rob Simmons
6. Scott Fardy
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu (loving Ben McCalman atm though, so this was close but Palu at his best is a beast)
9. Nick Phipps
10. Quade Cooper
11. Nick Cummins
12. Matt To'omua
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. James O'Connor (tempted to put Speight here but had to go with O'Connor's experience and versatility)
15. Israel Folau

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Scott Sio
18. Greg Holmes
19. Luke Jones
20. Michael Hooper
21. Will Genia
22. Kurtley Beale
23. Adam Ashley-Cooper

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
1. Slipper
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper (c)
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. JOC (James O'Connor)
12. Lilo
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. Moore
17. Sio
18. *
19. Skelton
20. Higgers
21. Genia
22. Cooper
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Plus

Charles/Fainga'a
Robbo/*
Carter
McCalman
Pocock/Hodgeson/Gill/McMahon
White
#
#

* = Not Alexander or Ryan
# = To'omua, Tomane, Horne, Cummins, Hunt or Beale

BauerNZ

Frank Row (1)
The level of complexity or degree of difficulty is lower, Beale has succeeded at 15 before, and he already spends a fair amount of time positionally at the back playing aerial ping pong.

It's a bit of a worry that sensible people are thinking Izzy needs to be moved. That seemed like one position we had locked down, hopefully it's only a temporary aberration.

This might be controversial on here but is Izzy really a lock in at 15?

He's got skills, no doubt. But as has been mentioned, his kicking game is lacking (somewhat paradoxically, given where he's come from) and knowing what WC knock out matches usually degenerate into, that will be crucial next year. Plus he lacks top end pace too.

Any other options worth considering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
This might be controversial on here but is Izzy really a lock in at 15?

He's got skills, no doubt. But as has been mentioned, his kicking game is lacking (somewhat paradoxically, given where he's come from) and knowing what WC knock out matches usually degenerate into, that will be crucial next year. Plus he lacks top end pace too.

Any other options worth considering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really, JOC (James O'Connor) maybe if he comes back and plays Fullback, I think Mogg is done for the next World cup even if he has a belter year. Hunt, well you never know but would be a long shot. And I guess Beale but dont trust him under a high ball. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has never let us down.. But I think Izzy is our fullback and it's been a long year and his tailing off... Next year he will be up for a world cup.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The Australian derby rounds in the Super 15 competition are going to hold a very important context regarding the final makeup of the ultimate squad of 23 for the RWC.
So many positions will be hotly contested, although unfortunately injury will always raise its ugly head.
Currently the only positions I see as secure (assuming their form stays consistent), are the starting props, and Moore as hooker.
Simmons as lock, but also very much as line-out leader.
Kuridrani at outside centre; Folua at fullback.
Even Adam Ashley-Cooper is not guaranteed a starting 15 spot, but would be a great utility for outside/fullback.
Personally, I would like to see Moore regain the captaincy. He is a no nonsense type of leader who commands the respect. This is no reflection on Hooper - just that Moore would be more suited to that role.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Yeah - Izzy to stay at 15 in my books. But I really hope to see KHunt come good for the Reds at 15 too so we have a viable backup come RWC time. Best otherwise (in the Wallabies squad) is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and outside the squad, Cam Crawford.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I think No 8 is shaping as another position where we could be in some trouble. Assuming Palu doesn't make it for the RWC, the next in line atm are McCalman and Schatz. Neither are big, get over the game line monster type 8s. They are a poor man's version of Read. The best that can be said about them is that they have high work loads. If Higgers is fit, he'll also come under consideration, but he offers almost the opposite of the other two. Good tackle busting runs usually out wide, but doesn't have the work load of the others.

Of the untried coming through, I like the looks of Holloway, Timani, Cottrill and Butler, but I can't see any of them getting a go before or in the RWC. Holloway seems to be the one who embodies the aggression and high work load that I'd like to see in a No 8.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Australian derby rounds in the Super 15 competition are going to hold a very important context regarding the final makeup of the ultimate squad of 23 for the RWC.
So many positions will be hotly contested, although unfortunately injury will always raise its ugly head.
Currently the only positions I see as secure (assuming their form stays consistent), are the starting props, and Moore as hooker.
Simmons as lock, but also very much as line-out leader.
Kuridrani at outside centre; Folua at fullback.
Even Adam Ashley-Cooper is not guaranteed a starting 15 spot, but would be a great utility for outside/fullback.
Personally, I would like to see Moore regain the captaincy. He is a no nonsense type of leader who commands the respect. This is no reflection on Hooper - just that Moore would be more suited to that role.

Seems pretty risky to be suggesting that a player returning from a knee reconstruction is secure in their starting Wallaby spot.

If all goes well, Moore will absolutely be there and he may well be captain, but that's a fairly big if at the moment. Moore is our best hooker, but he's not so far and away the best that he can be running around at 80% and still be better than everyone else (I don't think anyone is that good).

Who was the last player to make a seemless return from a knee reconstruction?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Seems pretty risky to be suggesting that a player returning from a knee reconstruction is secure in their starting Wallaby spot.

If all goes well, Moore will absolutely be there and he may well be captain, but that's a fairly big if at the moment. Moore is our best hooker, but he's not so far and away the best that he can be running around at 80% and still be better than everyone else (I don't think anyone is that good).

Who was the last player to make a seemless return from a knee reconstruction?

It's an excellent point. The high profile guys who've had knee reconstructions - Genia, Cooper, Horwill, Palu, Pocock, Benn Robinson - have all had long term injury and/or form issues since the surgery.

It's almost to the point where it would be a surprise for Moore to be back in the starting team only 15 months after the injury

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd say Palu is the exception, his form was outstanding this year but took a while to get there. Cooper is slowly getting there it appears.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I'd say Palu is the exception, his form was outstanding this year but took a while to get there. Cooper is slowly getting there it appears.

4 years after the surgery though. He's also only played a quarter of Wallaby games since the injury, so I'd say there's long term injury problems there.

Status
Not open for further replies.