• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Hooker and open side flanker are probably the only two positions where you can say quite confidently there won't be any uncapped players in with a chance

Every other position is only an injury or two away from an uncapped player been considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I remember this bloke called John Eales featuring in a RWC campaign with SWA experience at the time. I also remember him having a major impact in us winning it, especially with a certain cover tackle in the final. A bold coach showed faith in him and I see why that won't repeat.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Going to have another stab.

Not going to explain each selection first up, but when I inevitably get called out on a few choices I'd be more than happy to explain my logic.

Some selections are ambitious/unlikely. I get that.

Some selections based on form, others based on other factors.

1. Slipper.
2. Moore.
3. Kepu.
4. Arnold. I know it's early. But by god I'm calling it. This guy can play. Everything everyone on Gagger has been wanting for ages - hard worker, but he's actually effective in every facet of the game. If he can show a tad more mongrel then all the better.
5. Wish I could say Douglas. Going to go with Skelton even though I'd probably rather him off the bench.
6. Higgenbotham.
7. Pocock.
8. Palu.
9. Genia.
10. To'omua.
11. Speight.
12. O'Connor.
13. Kuridrani.
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).
15. Folau. I'd love to say Hunt and move Folau to right wing, but there isn't enough evidence to support that opinion yet even though I think, in the end, it'd be the best option.

16. TPN.
17. Robinson.
18. Sio (Love to see him play more at THP. Great player, could take Kepu's spot if they let him. Alexander has traditionally played better at LHP too. Brumbies should consider a switch.).
19. Like I said, love to say Skelton. I have never been a fan of Carter, Simmons or Horwill (I know shoot me), but it's obviously going to be one of the three (2 of them will be in the squad no doubt, the coaching staff aren't ambitious enough to pick Arnold). In all honesty in this instance I'd love to carry Fardy as our back up second rower, not because he's a perfect second row but because he is versatile enough to be a real super sub + won't do a bad job in the 2nd row late in the game.
20. Fardy (or, if he's carried as per the above, Hooper maybe).
21. Possibly Phipps. I wish Giteau were still around - he could do a decent job at halfback, 5/8 and inside. A super sub.
22. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (if Folau to wing) but more likely Horne.
23. Beale.

Let me know your thoughts. I have a feeling this will be controversial.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Some left of field selections. Not sure where to start. No Hooper in the 23 is going to give the tah fans a heart attack.

OConnor at 12?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I love JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 or even 13 in a Conrad Smith sort of role. Everything about his game absolutely screams it. If he played in New Zealand they never would have moved him out of there.

As for that team, the balance looks off to me. No combinations, not sure what sort of rugby we'd be trying to play.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Nah I'm backing the following

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Carter
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. Higgers
9. Phipps (for now)
10. Quade
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. TK
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Alexander (for now)
19. Horwill
20. Hooper
21. Genia
22. Foley
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

24. Robinson
25. Saia
26. Skelton
27. Palu
28. Lilo
29. Badge
30. Horne

Train with the squad before they fly out and remain at home on standby with a bag packed.
Charles, Holmes, Cowan, Arnold, Jones, Timani, Gill, White, Harris, Godwin, Tomane, Hunt

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Nah I'm backing the following

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Carter
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. Higgers
9. Phipps (for now)
10. Quade
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. TK
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Alexander (for now)
19. Horwill
20. Hooper
21. Genia
22. Foley
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

24. Robinson
25. Saia
26. Skelton
27. Palu
28. Lilo
29. Badge
30. Horne

Train with the squad before they fly out and remain at home on standby with a bag packed.
Charles, Holmes, Cowan, Arnold, Jones, Timani, Gill, White, Harris, Godwin, Tomane, Hunt
I think there is a 31 man squad so Holmes would likely be your 31st. Apart from Palu for Higgers I think that's a very likely squad, although I'd back in Weeks as the back up Thp reserve. If Cliff is fit I think he's an absolute shoe-in for 8, and I'd be surprised if Hooper fits on a 5-3 bench. Also think McCalman is in the squad, possibly for Higgers?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems a lot of people are backing what they hope happens rather than what is likely to happen.

At this stage, at least in my opinion, players like Palu, McCalman, Hooper, and Foley would need to be injured to not make the squad. As much as people dislike him, I'd probably have Beale in that list too. He probably doesn't make the XV and may not even be in the 23 but I highly doubt he'll miss the squad if he's healthy.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Beale had a shit week one, but was MotM against the Rebels and would have gone very close last night against the Reds. He's running straight, getting over the gainline, and playing with great touch. If he keeps this up there's absolutely no way he doesn't make the squad and he'd be deeply unlucky to miss the 23.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
No way should Beale be a lock for the squad. At this stage it's looking like you take either Beale or Lilo as a back-up inside centre. Lilo has had an outstanding start to the season for the Brumbies, and IMO was the better 12 for the wallabies last year.

I agree that Beale looks in great form, but I don't think he deserves to be in the same position as the likes of Hooper, Palu, McCalman and Foley. He's just not shown that great form at test level. Last year he had a few good games off the bench, but he also had a few shockers.

Yes beale's a better attacking footballer than Lilo, but I just don't see Beale as a serious option to start at 12, because England and Wales both intend to attack the 12 channel so we need a strong defender at 12.

The reality is I cant see Cheika taking Lilo over Beale, even though I think it should be a pretty even contest atm.

Beale's perhaps more versatile but that's neither here nor there in my view. James O'Connor should be our back-up fullback.

Lilo is the more accurate goal kicker, but again i think that's probably irrelevant, given that presumably Foley and Cooper will be our kickers

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The reality is I cant see Cheika taking Lilo over Beale, even though I think it should be a pretty even contest atm.

Beale's perhaps more versatile but that's neither here nor there in my view. James O'Connor should be our back-up fullback.

Lilo is the more accurate goal kicker, but again i think that's probably irrelevant, given that presumably Foley and Cooper will be our kickers

I'm not saying that Beale is a lock for the squad at this stage but I'm saying he is probably closer to the mark than most are hoping.

He's played 49 tests and is probably in Cheika's top 3 choices in about 3 positions.

He's also been a part of pretty much all the Wallabies biggest triumphs in the last 5 years (and with that, some of their biggest failures; like all our key players).

I just think that he is far more likely to make the RWC squad than people are giving him credit for.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
BDA, if it came down to Lilo or Beale at 12 I'd probably chance towards Lilo as well. However Beale is probably going to be either second or third choice at 12, 15 and 10. Could chuck him on the wing at a pinch as well if you had to. Can kick long goals if needed (and able to stay on his feet), and has shown the ability to make things happen when they have to. He looks better this year to me than he did last year. Not floating around as much, feels like he's beginning to take control of games again.

Taking him gives you the versatility to roll with a 6-2 bench. I'll be genuinely shocked if he's not taken. If anything I'd like to see Lilo and Beale taken with Foley left at home.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think it's pretty must a certainty that Cheika will pick him. I'm just saying with only 13 backs to choose, I personally wouldn't have him as a lock. If you're selecting Beale, it's as an inside centre, and as I said if To'omua goes down injured, I'd be really worried about starting Beale at 12, more so than I would if Lilo started, simply because I think Lilo is a more solid defender. I really believe Wales and England will focus their backline attack through Jamie Roberts and Manu Tuilagi respectively.

BH - you say that Beale would be in Cheika's top three for about three positions. What is the 3rd position? Flyhalf? Surely To'omua would get the nod behind Foley and Cooper (particularly with Larkham now in the coaching team).

A lot depends on whether you see Beale as our back-up 15. It's certainly and option. Personally I'd go with JOC (James O'Connor).

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
@ Dumbledore - I wouldn't be taking Beale if I consider him the 3rd best inside centre, 3rd best fullback and 4th best flyhalf.

Again I'm not saying I wouldn't select him. He is very experience and clearly has a knack for pulling a rabbit out of the hat when you need one, but at the moment im struggling with the idea that he will be selected as our no.2 inside centre ahead of lilo, when I think we need to consider what we want from our inside centre at the world cup.

Whilst Australia will be all out attack at the WC, we must remember that WCs are won on staunch defence.

Then again, im not Beale's biggest fan, so maybe I'm wrong to feel this way. am i?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH - you say that Beale would be in Cheika's top three for about three positions. What is the 3rd position? Flyhalf? Surely To'omua would get the nod behind Foley and Cooper (particularly with Larkham now in the coaching team).

Yes. 10, 12 and 15.

I'm not completely convinced Cheika would have him as his third choice starting 10 as I can easily see him selecting To'omua to start at 10 ahead of him.

I think that sort of versatility makes him one of the most likely bench players though and one of the chief reasons he'd be in the squad.

I think both Foley and Cooper were in the squad but if they were both injured, would you move your first choice 12 to 10? That's a major restructure if it was during the week of a test.

Each selection decision also involves considering the alternative premise which can change things up. The RWC squad is cut and thrust and if you're considering that out of 13 backs, 10 play every match and one of the three that misses out is your third choice halfback, it doesn't leave many alternatives. If a player isn't in that starting 7, they're less likely to make the squad if you'd prefer someone else to them in your first choice 23 on the bench.

If Lilo is your second choice 12 but doesn't make your best 23, it might make it difficult to put him in your squad.

If everyone is healthy there is absolutely no doubt that big names miss out.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Well you make a good point re his value as a bench player, and if i was going to select him that would probably be what gets him over the line. Then again is Beale a much better bench option than Lilo. Lilo plays 10. He could play 15 at a pinch but with guys like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and JOC (James O'Connor) also in the side, does it really matter. Beale is more likely to come on and score you a try, I'll admit that.

From coaches perspective I can see the benefit of having a guy like Beale in your arsenal. Still I'm shitting myself that Beale will start at 12 and end up playing the role of speed bump.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Can I ask you this BH - who would you prefer to see start at 12 against England. Lilo or Beale?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
One thing that goes against his versatility is his need to be switched in defense. Which means you need a winger who will defend well at 12. The options there are Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) so there's a good chance one of them will be on the field but what if they're not?

Chieka has come out and said that Beale is like a little chicken. Not referring to his courage obviously but to to his body shape. Chieka was making the point that you can't get blood out of stone, he's not going to just start dominating people physically. Though he did a good job on Slipper.

With regards to JOC (James O'Connor) ahead of Beale as a fullback. Can't say I've ever seen JOC (James O'Connor) play fullback other than last night. Beale was nominated int player of the year in that pos. Why would JOC (James O'Connor) be ahead of him?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yes. 10, 12 and 15.

I think both Foley and Cooper were in the squad but if they were both injured, would you move your first choice 12 to 10? That's a major restructure if it was during the week of a test.

If everyone is healthy there is absolutely no doubt that big names miss out.
Not really in this case. To'omua to 10 and Lealiifano to 12 is how they've been playing all year long and I don't see Larkham having any qualms about playing that combination in a test match.

I have no doubts that Beale will be in the squad, though imo he won't deserve to be there if his one on one defense doesn't really smarten up.

At this stage I cannot see any justification for people wanting Genia as the starting No 9 or for wanting JOC (James O'Connor) in the squad at all. Will is clearly third best No 9 at present behind Phipps and White, not necessarily in that order. White has been in top form but Phipps is yet to show the form he had last year.

JOC (James O'Connor) is in no form, and I just cannot accept that anybody (including Giteau) should be considered for selection based on NH form. A lot of average to good Super players who won't or cant make the Wallabies are killing them over in France and GB. There is a distinct difference in quality of the rugby in the two hemispheres.

I am waiting to see with bated breath how the relationship between Cheika and Bernie plays out. My suspicion is that they will have their disagreements about selections, particularly at 9, 10, 12. Larkham has continually shown his preference for To'omua at 10, and he has stated he considers Nic White to be one of the two top half backs in the world, and his present form doesn't argue against that assessment. Cheika clearly likes what he gets from Beale as the reserve at 12 but I wouldn't be surprised if Larkham has different ideas about that. Not sure if it is a relationship that will have any longevity attached to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.