• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Cooper started against the Barbarians and wasn't particularly good.

What a cop out. Cheika should have given him a run in a TEST match!

if you're going to count the Barbarian's game, then here's another way of looking at it:-

Games won on the EOYT with Cooper starting at 5/8 - 100% (1/1)
Games won on the EOYT with Foley starting at 5/8 - 25% (1/4)

Also to say "we lost for other reasons" is an even bigger cop out. Foley certainly did not impress.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What a cop out. Cheika should have given him a run in a TEST match!

if you're going to count the Barbarian's game, then here's another way of looking at it:-

Games won on the EOYT with Cooper starting at 5/8 - 100% (1/1)
Games won on the EOYT with Foley starting at 5/8 - 25% (1/4)

Also to say "we lost for other reasons" is an even bigger cop out. Foley certainly did not impress.

Why is it a cop out to say that he should have been given a run in a test match after not playing well in a tour match? In almost all situations the onus will be on the player trying to get the starting jersey back to prove themselves before they get the gig.

I agree that Foley wasn't impressive on our EOYT. Cooper was good off the bench.

Personally I think Cooper probably is our best 10 if he's in strong form but I also think the ball is in his court to take that starting jersey back.

My take on this situation is trying to see it from the perspective of the coach and why Cooper wasn't selected and what I think he'll need to do this season to get selected.

Anyone expecting the coach to drop his fly half after losing the game at scrum time is going to be wrong time and time again.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
But realistically these are the main factors working against Cooper:-
1. Cheika didn't even consider giving Cooper a start on tour despite consecutive losses.
2. Foley has an established partnership with Phipps (our starting 9) and is much more familiar with the style of rugby Cheika will implement.

1. Cooper was coming back from a serious long-term injury. His match fitness or lack-their-of was the main reason he didn't get a start. So realistically he could have only started the last 1 or two games. I do believe Cheika made a mistake not giving him more game-time. But it's a bit of stretch to imply Cheika didn't select him because he doesn't fit the game-plan when in fact it was more to do with his lack of fitness/game-time.

2. I don't think that combination is significantly relevant. I can't see why Cooper can't form a good combination with Phipps. Likewise I could argue that To'omua is almost a certainly at 12 and he has a far better combination with Cooper - the back-line performed better then it has in years with those 2 in the halves.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Foley's clutch goal kicking is going to play a big role in his selection for the World Cup I reckon.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Foley's clutch goal kicking is going to play a big role in his selection for the World Cup I reckon.

This is his biggest advantage over Cooper at the moment. But Cooper can kick goals too so we'll see how that goes this season.

something

Jim Clark (26)

Cooper will be in the 23.... if he is a reserve he will be on at the end, thus rendering Foley's clutch goal kicking useless.

However, lets say he is the starting 10, with Foley the reserve 15/10, then the icey veins will become an asset

something

Jim Clark (26)
ideally

9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Speight/Cummins
12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

21. White
22. Foley
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

This covers every position in case of injuries, has 'x-factor', and i like that the bench players are consistent.. not flashy.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
ideally

9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Speight/Cummins
12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

21. White
22. Foley

This covers every position in case of injuries, has 'x-factor', and i like that the bench players are consistent.. not flashy.

I would pick the same.

Crazy to think how low Genia has fallen from the pecking order. He used to be one of the wallabies best. What happened!!!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Why is it a cop out to say that he should have been given a run in a test match after not playing well in a tour match? In almost all situations the onus will be on the player trying to get the starting jersey back to prove themselves before they get the gig.

I agree that Foley wasn't impressive on our EOYT. Cooper was good off the bench.

Personally I think Cooper probably is our best 10 if he's in strong form but I also think the ball is in his court to take that starting jersey back.

My take on this situation is trying to see it from the perspective of the coach and why Cooper wasn't selected and what I think he'll need to do this season to get selected.

Anyone expecting the coach to drop his fly half after losing the game at scrum time is going to be wrong time and time again.

Fair points. I think I'm still a bit bitter that Cheika didn't give Cooper a start last season. He could have easily justified it. Now the task Cooper faces of winning the starting jersey prior to the WC is a monumental one

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
ideally

9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Speight/Cummins
12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

21. White
22. Foley

You guys have very short memories. Nic White is a terrible test players with a floating slow pass.He has cracked under every high pressure game I have watched him play. He would be the last half I would pick.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Say what you want about Genia, but the bloke has a good history of aiming up at test level.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Say what you want about Genia, but the bloke has a good history of aiming up at test level.

Agreed. He just needs to be told by a Wallabies coach who gives him forward options and backline options he has to run twice a half otherwise he is out. However from what I heard the reason he was dropped for the English test was because he ran and got caught before the ad line the previous test and didn't just pass the football out the line like a Phipps. Apparently he was told he must line break otherwise there would be consequences because it stops what game plan Cheika is trying to implement.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I can't think of an example of Foley's 'poor' tackling. But these days I can't really think of one from Cooper either.

Status
Not open for further replies.