• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
I tried pulling together my squad... 80% of the players pick themselves. It's the last 20% where all the headaches are.

For me the hardest selection is actually the second row. At the moment Simmons and Skelton are most likely locks (pun intended)... but assuming you're taking 4 locks, then the next two spots are largely up for grabs.

Contenders include Carter, Horwill, Jones and the roughies Coleman, Timani (more 6/8 anyway) and Arnold.

I can't see too many risks being taken so despite a cracking start to the Sup VX this year I can't see Arnold making it. Coleman (for my mind) is the most likely roughie to earn a cap this year.

It's unlikely Jones, Skelton and Coleman will be selected together in the same group as that would essentially mean there's 3 locks with 5 fiths of bugger all experience between them.

For me... this is the weakest position in the squad and I really can't pick four locks without having some serious 'cons'.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Watching FORCE games not sure how much it is the front row and how much the second row. The scrum looked much better on Friday when steenkamp came on. It was about his first game all year. (that comment May have hurt Colman's chances)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gotta do something different and unconventional.

1. Slipper
2. Pocock
3. Kepu
4. Skelton
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9, Phipps
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If it weren't for 'that' selection there wouldn't be too much different and unconventional about your side HJ!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

1. Slipper
2. Pocock
3. Kepu
4. Skelton
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9, Phipps
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
15. Folau

man some controversial choices in this team. Is that you Dingo?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I tried pulling together my squad. 80% of the players pick themselves. It's the last 20% where all the headaches are.

For me the hardest selection is actually the second row. At the moment Simmons and Skelton are most likely locks (pun intended). but assuming you're taking 4 locks, then the next two spots are largely up for grabs.

Contenders include Carter, Horwill, Jones and the roughies Coleman, Timani (more 6/8 anyway) and Arnold.

I can't see too many risks being taken so despite a cracking start to the Sup VX this year I can't see Arnold making it. Coleman (for my mind) is the most likely roughie to earn a cap this year.

It's unlikely Jones, Skelton and Coleman will be selected together in the same group as that would essentially mean there's 3 locks with 5 fiths of bugger all experience between them.

For me. this is the weakest position in the squad and I really can't pick four locks without having some serious 'cons'.

The closer we get to the test season and the more i see Horwill in the squad. I've gone back and forward on Horwill this season. A few good games, but mostly shit-house. What Horwill really has going for him is his set-piece works. We must concentrate all efforts on being competitive in the scrum. Horwill appears to be a pretty strong scrummaging lock. strong in the line-out too. not sure whether that should make up for his lazy defensive/ruck work

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
that seems to be the main one, doesn't it? Bloody hell, I mean Rob Horne could end up on the wing for the Wallabies!

Yes - atm I'd rate Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) ahead of JOC (James O'Connor). The next 6 or 7 games will be crucial to each of them.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

1. Slipper
2. Pocock
3. Kepu
4. Skelton
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9, Phipps
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
15. Folau

Do u want something unconventional???

What about this?

1 Slipper
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4 Simmons
5 Skelton
6 Pocock
7 Hooper
8 McCalman
9 Giteau
10 To'omua
11 JOC (James O'Connor)
12 Kerevi
13 Kuridrani
14 Speight
15 Folau

To'omua at 10 because you need someone who can defending the channel 1 (Kerevi can't tackle). Giteau at 9 because you need someone who can kicking to the posts and JOC (James O'Connor) as the kicker back-up. McCalman at 8 because you need another jumper with Pocock and Hooper at the same time.

Kerevi's attack skills are top class, he proved against the starting ABs centres (Nonu & Conrad) the HUGE problem is his defense. But against Uruguay, the couple: "Kerevi-Kuridrani" would be a mortal weapon for the Latin boys ;)

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Do u want something unconventional???

What about this?

1 Slipper
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4 Simmons
5 Skelton
6 Pocock
7 Hooper
8 McCalman
9 Giteau
10 To'omua
11 JOC (James O'Connor)
12 Kerevi
13 Kuridrani
14 Speight
15 Folau

To'omua at 10 because you need someone who can defending the channel 1 (Kerevi can't tackle). Giteau at 9 because you need someone who can kicking to the posts and JOC (James O'Connor) as the kicker back-up. McCalman at 8 because you need another jumper with Pocock and Hooper at the same time.

Kerevi's attack skills are top class, he proved against the starting ABs centres (Nonu & Conrad) the HUGE problem is his defense. But against Uruguay, the couple: "Kerevi-Kuridrani" would be a mortal weapon for the Latin boys ;)

That lineout will get dusted.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
1 Slipper
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4 Simmons
5 Coleman
6 Fardy
7 Pocock
8 Higgers
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 JOC (James O'Connor)
12 To'omua
13 Kuridrani
14 Speight
15 Folau

16 TPN
17 Sio
18 Holmes
19 Skelton
20 Hooper
21 Genia
22 Giteau
23 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
On form this year Stirzacker is ahead of both White and Genia. But I don't know that I'd be taking an uncapped half to the RWC. Maybe if he got a solid run in the RC it could be justified, but I think it more likely that Chieka would use that competition to try and run form into Genia or White.

Given that I think the good games Genia has played this year are better than White's good games, and the attacking upside of Genia is better than that of White, if only two halfbacks are selected it will be Genia that gets the nod.

White humiliated genia when they met this year.

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
o_O Genia's pass is the best in Australia and one of the best in the world. BUT he is slow at the breakdown. But when he delivers it there is no quicker pass. Yes Genia's box kicking since 2012 has been outright awful.

Genia's pass was the best in Australia and the man misses more tackles than he makes.

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
So Cheika has had so much time with the team.. to be honest he lost alot more then he won..

I don't expect Smith to be picked.. it just doesn't fit but you would have to be dumb to not drag him out during the rugby championship and see what his got. no offense to Hooper or Poey.. they are both trying to be Smith..

Now if your a coach and you don't take 10 minutes (before the world cup) to see if Gits, Michell and Smith are any good.. your a clown..

Hooper can't be smith.

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Samu Kerevi, based on form he would be the starting 13, reality is he probably won't be included in the Wallaby squad due to his inexperience and lack of versatility. It's nice to see a powerful ball running alternative to Kuridrani though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's going alright but I suspect fitness is letting him down leading to missed tackles.

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'd definitely have JOC (James O'Connor) in the mix if he was playing well..... but I haven't seen anything from him so far that suggests he's deserving....

At this point I'd have a back 3 of:

11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Speight
15. Folau

I hope JOC (James O'Connor) finds some form, because I'd much rather him in the squad over someone like Beale.

No way AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) over JOC (James O'Connor).

Status
Not open for further replies.