• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coaching Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This maybe so, but the fact is that these guys aren't playing in Australia. Instead of worrying about what isn't, I think he needs to accept the reality of who he has available and work from there.

Yes I agree. Aside from the evidence that he is trying to lure quite a few back, what you are saying is what I meant in my next post:

I think building depth is how Cheika thinks we can best deal with the problems identified above in a 4 year timeframe. This test season leaves a bit of collateral damage with a longer term objective, RWC2019. He said he has some players from the current U20 squad he wants to blood next year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
At the end of the day, our player resources are severely limited compared to the other leading nations. So we have to be smarter and more creative than we have been in the past. If that means selecting overseas-based players, fine, why not? But only after very careful consideration on a case by case basis.

Wamberal, have you not been watching the decline of SA rugby over recent years which has at least in part coincided with their inclination to bring overseas players into the Springboks?

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I sometimes wonder with Larkham due full time with the Wallabies soon, Mick Byrne available now and Cheika probably wanting to keep busy and away from the 92 kids and the media, why the ARU haven't done the strategic thing and forced the Super Rugby franchises to give up there 2nd 10's and make them go the the Brumbies and Rebels for the good of the game instead of signing Kiwis? It would also force new unidentified potential talent to be brought in as cover. Committing the services of Byrne and Larkham could soften the blow and flexibility might be needed if injury hits (we may need to "loan"players) but it could be highly beneficial even if its imposed only for 2 seasons.

But alas, no long white clouds here so it was a stupid thought. I should know that Aussie rugby doesn't work that way; so in the fend for yourself spirit, lets get back to which past player who hasn't performed in the past can we bring back.

Excuse my interruption. Carry on.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
But it's not a question of who is the better player in each situation, it's a question of what's best for the game in this country.

I'd put winning tests and building towards the next RWC pretty high on the list of things that are good for Australian rugby.

Barring some sort of catastrophic injury, Beale is going to be a key player in the next RWC for us.

T

TOCC

Back to coaching staff, I thought Cheika handled the media poorly in 2016 and lost the media game to both Eddie and Henry, whinging after almost every test and taking aim at guys like Ella, who most of the Australia rugby public admire achieves little.

Maybe it's the stress of the season, but it's an area which needs improvement in 2017

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Wamberal, have you not been watching the decline of SA rugby over recent years which has at least in part coincided with their inclination to bring overseas players into the Springboks?

BR if the complaint around overseas players is around Genia playing through the development tests leaving Phipps on the bench until our biggest game, I'm with you to that point.

In SA however it is I think a different beast. It's a numbers game where possibly (certainly I have suggested) that generate enough talent to overcome the ex-pats in their Rep rugby.

That numbers game falls apart in Aus where we generate nothing like the quantity of players.

Something Cheika does that is fabulous, is talk to our ex-pats trying to recruit them to return. He has had some success at it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Do you think having Beale in the side would lessen our chances of success in the test arena?

Long term is lessens our chances of success.

Short term fixes rarely ever achieve long term successful outcomes.

I prefer not to talk of individual players as it brings emotion into it.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

How? We'd be selecting one of our better players in his prime playing years, coming off being our best back by a pretty big margin when he was last healthy with the plan being to use him during the upcoming RWC.

Are you referencing the talent drain overseas and the long-term impact which that may have? I can't see any other way in which selecting him wouldn't be stock-standard stuff that every nation does building into a RWC cycle.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
How? We'd be selecting one of our better players in his prime playing years, coming off being our best back by a pretty big margin when he was last healthy with the plan being to use him during the upcoming RWC.

Are you referencing the talent drain overseas and the long-term impact which that may have? I can't see any other way in which selecting him wouldn't be stock-standard stuff that every nation does building into a RWC cycle.

Because one incentive to keep elite players in Australia is the chance of Wallaby selection. Once that incentive is removed, it only increases the attraction of playing overseas for more money. So it impacts on not only the current generation, but the future generation.

The knock on effect is that it also makes our super sides weaker which further damages our player development process and also makes our super rugby games less attractive to broadcasters and paying spectators.

The only argument in favour of it is in an emergency situation in extremely rare cases.

The trickle has become a flood and it will be open slather before long.

I'd also note that it's a short term fix - and it didn't even work in the short term in 2016.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Cheers, wasn't sure exactly what you were referring to in your previous posts.

It's definitely a complex issue but unfortunately I don't see the market forces shifting in Australia's future anytime soon. For the moment being I think the 60-cap law is a fairly functional solution.

Reactions: gel

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)

Beale is in his mid 20's and on pre-injury form about 7 times better than the next best 12 we have. The best long-term centre is not exactly a short term fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.