• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coaching Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Could limit the number of overseas players available for the Wallabies. Make it a maximum of two for example. Could be half a dozen or more eligible and the coaches need to pick the best and/or the player who covers a weaker spot. Only allow one player from overseas if one or both of the first two is injured and make the coaches stick to the two for an entire series.

Something like that would stop players like Mitchell getting picked ahead of others. They may not play but their development would benefit from being in the squad a lot more than a Mitchell type player.

T

TOCC

You assume that I spend all my rugby time here. There is a difference between saying super rugby is hanging by a thread and saying some matches in Europe are as good as super rugby.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

You're right there is a big difference... I never said Super Rugby is hanging by a thread

Anyway the main point in that comment was the selecting Australian based players enhances the players profile and Super Rugby's marketability. Players like Hodge and Coleman are now major draw cards for their respective teams, if it weren't for Wallaby selection their profile would still be much smaller and of less value to the Rebels and Force.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Its not going to chamge for the forseeable future. At least another world cup, Then they may review.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Gone of the days of Drs and Lawyers (as indicated by the talk of "Doc" still studying Medicine) playing rugby a lot of these guys are looking to put enough money away to survive post career. So adjusting expectations by the ARU is no bad thing for me and actually shows foresight for once.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Could limit the number of overseas players available for the Wallabies. Make it a maximum of two for example. Could be half a dozen or more eligible and the coaches need to pick the best and/or the player who covers a weaker spot. Only allow one player from overseas if one or both of the first two is injured and make the coaches stick to the two for an entire series.

Something like that would stop players like Mitchell getting picked ahead of others. They may not play but their development would benefit from being in the squad a lot more than a Mitchell type player.

I don't think Mitchell (or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)) would have been considered if we had better wingers ready at the start of the season. We had no one with any experience sitting there ready to go.

Same with Horwill, lots of newbie locks, so MC has a safety call

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Genia is a no brainer selection and probably will be for a while longer. Mitchell and 2-dads a waste of a plane ticket, while I'm still not convinced about Giteau, especially with Kerevi and Kurindrani available

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Genia is a no brainer selection and probably will be for a while longer. Mitchell and 2-dads a waste of a plane ticket, while I'm still not convinced about Giteau, especially with Kerevi and Kurindrani available

It may not have worked, but there was some clear logic to their inclusion, even Kerevi and Kurindrani being available didn't fill the hole at 12 all season.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
^^^^^^^ FP, I still lament that the coaches didn't try Kerevi at 12 with Cooper at 10 when they were both fit and available.
I'm hoping We see it next super rugby season. I'd like to see them with a more creative 13. Maybe Perese might develop in the role. The other option is magnay but je seems like a more barge through them type guy

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
^^^^^^^ FP, I still lament that the coaches didn't try Kerevi at 12 with Cooper at 10 when they were both fit and available.

Highly unlikely to see it with Cheika & Larkham running the Wobs, they like their ball playing 12

Next season I expect Beale to be playing 12 for the Wobs with Gits out of the picture

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reckon the thread has run it's course for this year.

F - all will happen with Chek but I honestly believe Mario and Grey should go. Larkham showed marked improvement at the end and Mick Byrne is definitely a keeper.

Australian rugby unfortunately will continue to flag behind NZ, England and sort of be equal with SA, Ireland Scotland and potentially even the Frogs.

Thank God the Super season is coming.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Reckon the thread has run it's course for this year.

F - all will happen with Chek but I honestly believe Mario and Grey should go. Larkham showed marked improvement at the end and Mick Byrne is definitely a keeper.

Australian rugby unfortunately will continue to flag behind NZ, England and sort of be equal with SA, Ireland Scotland and potentially even the Frogs.

Thank God the Super season is coming.

What I find frustrating, even allowing for the "declining grass roots" gloom, I just don't believe that there is any need for it with decent management and coaching. The universal view that Cheika stays has led to a false implication that the coaching team can not be improved.

Agree on Larkham though I note that it is primarily his role that would lead to reasonable variation in the game plan - massive hole in 2016.

Top 5/Top 8. Yee hah.

Completely agree with your final paragraph!

T

TOCC

I'm not even sure we will see 10 Cooper 12 Karevi at the Reds. More likely 10 Cooper, 12 Paia'uau, 13 Karevi.

I agree, but not because I think Kerevi is better at 13, rather because I think Paia'aua is a better 12 then the alternative at 13. Although Stiles leaned towards ball running centres as coach of Brisbane City, so it may be possible.

T

TOCC

Wallabies need to recruit the former all blacks kicking coach who has now based himself in Brisbane, then the Wallabies need to hire a world class S&C Coach to oversee Wallabies fitness programs from Super Rugby to Test Rugby level.

It might not pay dividends until June 2017, but let's get started today.

Still no fitness coach?
I certainly wasn't the only person to notice the fitness issues, good to see the ARU have acted on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.