• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby injuries: poor diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Great stuff Bruce.
So how tough was Sir Nick Shehadie when he played 1st grade club rugby as a prop at 15 years of age?
If only some (NOT ALL) of our Wallabies removed themselves from their fancy diets, scientific training and pampered cocoons to spent some time with the great man they'd gain a heightened respect about playing for the Wallabies.
Back in Sir Nick's time, Iiwii, scrums packed much higher than they do now. This enabled second rowers to drop their binds and wreak havoc with the hidden closed fist mainly on the opposition hooker, but they would certainly have also targetted a 15-year-old schoolboy foolhardy enough to stick his head in a First Grade scrum. So young Shehadie must have been quite a tough kid.

As for the hooker, we used to talk about them being hung up like JC on the cross. Totally unable to defend themselves, so the agreed protocol was that if your hooker copped one it was all in.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I read in some rugby heaven nz article that when they did the math, it was actually cheaper to send them all to a private boarding school for their education (so the school had to feed them) than keep them and feed them at home while they attended a local state school. So thats what they did

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Speaking of diet and fitness and blokes from the Shaky Isles, How would you like to be Braeden and Caroline Whitelock? They have raised and fed the four Whitelock brothers, all of whom are professional/semiprofessional rugby players: Geroge Whitelock, Adam Whitelock, Sam Whitelock, and Luke Whitelock.

The tucker bill at the Whitelock residence must have been immense when those boys were growing up.

Mate, I'd say the Franks brothers would of out eaten them even 2 men down.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Of course, Iiwii, and not just on the field. Very sharp leisure wear. I'm waiting for them to come back into fashion. The strange thing is that after people stopped wearing them I've never heard of anyone going off with a bruised hip bone.

Laughing so hard at the 'very sharp leisure wear' bit. I actually wish I had those inserts, I had a bruised hip last year after an awkward landing right on the point of the hip joint, hurt like crazy. Not quite bad enough to stop me playing but bad enough to be a pain in the....well, hip.

Status
Not open for further replies.