• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Locks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
According to GR the waratahs are trying to secure Douglas next year. If they are successful (he's only one year through a three year deal) the ARU will make "Dan Vickerman" like exception for him to play at RWC this year.

Douglas would be a nice option to have, but I'll believe it when I see it. It certainly not the first article I've read this year from a Sydney journo talking about trying to get Douglas to the world cup. One major stumbling block (leaving aside Leinster's attitude towards him leaving) would be that Cheika wont even be at the Tahs next season. It would be difficult for him to lure Douglas to a team that he will cut ties at the season's end.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
a big strong second row to really lock a scrum together, .

Is Carter & Arnold really a big strong lock combination? Certainly wouldn't call Carter big and strong as he is far from dominating into contact, he is more of a workhorse. So IMO it's more of a balanced combination.

Ideally, the best combo around the park would be Carter/Simmon and Skelton. But Skelton has so many downfalls at set-piece. Arnold is still fresh but I hope he can fill as a Vickerman style lock.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I do agree we need a hard-nosed lock to compliment either Carter or Simmons BUT how is Skelton even considered a lock, His scrummaging is poor and he can't even jump in the line-out.

Having a starting lock that can't jump completely baffles me. He is big and strong but should be an impact player only, converted to an 8, or the team needs to actually start lifting him in the line-out if that is even possible.
Have you actually watched him at all this year, or is this 2014 dogma re-hashed? He has been taking some lineouts this year, and his scrummaging, as with the whole Tahs starting pack, has been improved on last year. Not to mention he's playing more minutes each game. Definitely a work in upward progress.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Cheika wont even be at the Tahs next season. It would be difficult for him to lure Douglas to a team that he will cut ties at the season's end.

I'd say that if Chieka is trying to lure Douglas, the fact that he is the Wallabies coach would be more motivating.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Have you actually watched him at all this year, or is this 2014 dogma re-hashed? He has been taking some lineouts this year, and his scrummaging, as with the whole Tahs starting pack, has been improved on last year. Not to mention he's playing more minutes each game. Definitely a work in upward progress.

Yes scrummaging has improved but needs more then a couple of super xv games to prove he is up to standard. Although agree he is on the right track.

Line-out is the biggest issue though, he might have taken some line-outs but their is no denying he is a much slower jumper. He would almost certainly downgrade our line-out compared to any of the other Aussie locks. I'm far from convinced of his value in the line-out..

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd say that if Chieka is trying to lure Douglas, the fact that he is the Wallabies coach would be more motivating.

My point is that out-going coaches aren't normally involved in recruiting. there are many reasons for that, not least of all it is hard to sell a player on joining a team / culture if you're not going to be a part of it.

I'm sure Douglas wants to be a part of Cheika's world cup squad. the hard part (aside from his current contractual obligations) is convincing him that he should sign on to play super rugby next year for the waratahs.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Bringing Douglas back to start for the wallabies could be like Rocky Elsom all over again. But at least Rocky had some good Test match experience and was coming off superb form in Ireland. Douglas isn't even in the same league and he is being considered, what a joke.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's a compounding effect as well.

If you've got a whole pod running onto the ball, the ball runner will probably get over the advantage line with the other two forwards clearing out immediately (and helping the runner get over the advantage line and to ground) and then you should get really quick ball on the next phase.

Even if you don't make much ground, the speed at which you should get the ball back should help your situation for the next phase.

Any team who can string about 3 phases together that all get over the advantage line and create quick ball will probably find that an opportunity opens up somewhere on the field due to defenders scrambling to the breakdown and filling the spaces either side of it.

Totally agree on the compound effect.

The other thing a pod moving at pace does is create doubt in the minds of the defenders. When they don't know which guy is getting the ball, and if the guys are running straight, it makes them sit on their heels ever so slightly. That's a small momentum gain for the attacking team and then you see the defence having to creep up offside (which then creates it's own opportunities).

So the bottom line is, big bodies in motion, playing flat to the gain line and running good angles.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
That's a bad thing?

I don't think he was a huge success. He was a solid starter but certainly did not live up to his reputation in Europe. Also turned out to be a pretty bad Captain that apparently wasn't respected by his peers.

Maybe not the exact same scenario, but I think it was a mistake to name Rocky Captain before he even played a game for the wallabies or even a super xv game.

Likewise, It would be a huge risk to put Douglas in the starting team. A player with an up-and-down Test and Super XV history, and who has played all his recent rugby overseas in a lesser competition. IMO he would be coming in the team as a complete unknown. At least a super rugby season would give us a better gauge of where he is at compared to his peers.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yes scrummaging has improved but needs more then a couple of super xv games to prove he is up to standard. Although agree he is on the right track.

Line-out is the biggest issue though, he might have taken some line-outs but their is no denying he is a much slower jumper. He would almost certainly downgrade our line-out compared to any of the other Aussie locks. I'm far from convinced of his value in the line-out..
As you probably will remain. ;)
Suppose we had Simmons, Fardy and Higginbotham / McCalman on the park with him? I would think a 4th option, plonked near the front would be pretty reasonable as variety. As with all forward selection, it's about balance. If you're only jumpers were 4,5 and 6, then yeah, having him as one lock would be more problematic. Don't forget his role at defensive lineouts - he is a rolling maul-wrecking pest, and I'm betting we'll get a few of those to deal with this year. It's all the rage. It's one thing I think he does a fair bit better than many other locks running around.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Suppose we had Simmons, Fardy and Higginbotham / McCalman on the park with him? I would think a 4th option, plonked near the front would be pretty reasonable as variety. As with all forward selection, it's about balance. If you're only jumpers were 4,5 and 6, then yeah, having him as one lock would be more problematic. Don't forget his role at defensive lineouts - he is a rolling maul-wrecking pest, and I'm betting we'll get a few of those to deal with this year. It's all the rage. It's one thing I think he does a fair bit better than many other locks running around.

I actually agree with everything you said. Having a Brumbie bia's though I'm tipping Vaea for the wallaby 8 spot. Which means having only 4,5 and 6 jumpers. (i don't think Vaea jumps does he?).

Otherwise I like the idea of Fardy, Simmons, Higgers/McCalman with Skelton.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I actually agree with everything you said. Having a Brumbie bia's though I'm tipping Vaea for the wallaby 8 spot. Which means having only 4,5 and 6 jumpers. (i don't think Vaea jumps does he?).

Otherwise I like the idea of Fardy, Simmons, Higgers/McCalman with Skelton.
Yeah, I think Vaea jumps a bit less than Palu, which is to say not that much, although I must say I haven't made special note of his lineout work.. He has looked pretty good in other aspects of late, for sure.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Brumbies offer a tall lineout with plenty of options. I don't know why they would use Vaea. Better used as a lifter and Butler used as the fourth option after Carter, Fardy and Arnold (in no particular order).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I agree with all this but Rory Arnold is also showing good expertise at disrupting mauls. I would like to see both of them continue to improve and be legitimate candidates for the second row.

Status
Not open for further replies.