• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Locks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I know you're saying that your support for Simmo is based on his previous form, but strictly "based on the first 5 rounds" he simply can't be considered just yet as he hasn't played. I do agree that Skelton is looking good for the LH prop spot, and atm Carter would have to be the front runner for the TH spot. Let's wait to see how Rob comes back from his injury. If fit and in form, he will certainly be the competition to Carter for the TH spot.

Re Carter v Arnold, I am strongly of the view that Sam would be streets ahead of Rory on statistics. He hits so many rucks with effectiveness (as disclosed by Forcefield's Stats) and makes many more tackles. Most of his work seems to go unnoticed, and a couple of times has been attributed to Arnold, but Rory Arnold is certainly showing a good amount of potential as back up to Skelton for later in the year.

Next in line imo is Luke Jones.

I tend to agree re Carter/Rory - perhaps we can put up some stats after 10 rounds have finished. I think what people like about Arnold more than anything is his size and physical presence, rather than his work rate or effectiveness.

Re Simo - I dont think you could say that Carter is the front runner for the TH spot, regardless of the fact that Simos hasn't played at all this year. Simo has that position more more locked down than most positions are in the wallabies side. He was consistently Link's first choice TH, and he has been consistently Cheika's first choice since. Simo still is the only player that can run a quality test line-out. I really like Carter and he might very well take the position from Simo over time.

When I wrote "based on the first 5 rounds" I didn't mean based on form alone. There seems to be a weird misconception among some readers that we should pick a test side only on form. (that's not a shot at you BR)

T

Tip

This seems to be a problem with a fair few Aussie forwards. There is a significant lack of acceleration into contact.

Cops are taught to accelerate into another vehicle if they can't avoid a collision...

Where's that loose Aussie bloke that enjoys tucking the ball into his stomach, holding it in two hands and throwing those elbows left right left right as he charges into the defensive line.

Everyone that has done sprint training before knows that the arms are key to generating forward momentum. Significant elbow movement makes you one annoying c**t to tackle.

B

Bobby Sands

Everyone that has done sprint training before knows that the arms are key to generating forward momentum. Significant elbow movement makes you one annoying c**t to tackle.

"Hit em with the hard bits" my Kiwi coach used to tell me.

That was in more words to get side on and take contact with your shoulder, elbow, knees front and center. It also presents less of a target.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
When I wrote "based on the first 5 rounds" I didn't mean based on form alone. There seems to be a weird misconception among some readers that we should pick a test side only on form. (that's not a shot at you BR)

So now we're channeling the Hooper v Pocock argument?;)

But I am an advocate of picking a team primarily on form. Nonu is the one exception that springs to mind, but I really can't say that there's a parallel situation in Aus rugby atm. Therefore, right now Carter is the front runner for TH lock, as Hooper is for No 7.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My problem with Carter is his ball running. He seems to slow into contact which prevents him from making the gains he should.

It is amazing how many current Aus rugby big men could have been helped by playing a bit more league as kids

But I have never understood the idea of trying to make the gain line continually from a standing start, a bit more effort and hitting the ball on the burst has always made sense.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Its quite funny, Rory Arnold was getting all the pundents but you look at the Ruck stats on the front page and who's up the top.. Sam Carter.. I bet across all games his up the top.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Its quite funny, Rory Arnold was getting all the pundents but you look at the Ruck stats on the front page and who's up the top.. Sam Carter.. I bet across all games his up the top.
I don't think we're missing a workhorse lock though - we're missing a heavy, aggressive ball carrying lock. Carter and Simmons are both hard working around the paddock at breakdown time and make their tackles. Horwill circa 2011 had that level of aggression, size and ball carrying zeal - it's no longer there. Compare the Aussie locks to the Kiwis, Saffas or the better European locks (O'Connell is killing it at the moment) and you'll see that's the balance we're missing. I'm not sure if Arnold is ready or not, but he's definitely the right style of lock to balance out a pairing with Simmons and Carter who seem most likely to get the workhorse role.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
You wont find many heavier, more aggressive ball carrying locks than Will Skelton. But yes I agree, behind him Arnold looks like the best option.

I haven't been watching his game that closely but can anyone tell me:-
1. Whether the bloke has any agro? Has he been making big hits in defence?
2. What's his maul defence like?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You wont find many heavier, more aggressive ball carrying locks than Will Skelton. But yes I agree, behind him Arnold looks like the best option.

I haven't been watching his game that closely but can anyone tell me:-
1. Whether the bloke has any agro? Has he been making big hits in defence?
2. What's his maul defence like?

Rory Arnold has been playing with a fair bit of aggression. I think that's why he tends to stand out and be noticed. Doesn't make nearly as many tackles as Carter or hit as many rucks but his maul defense is top notch. Never seen a maul taken apart as good as one last week when both Arnold and Fardy came through the middle.

ATM I'd say the form locks are Skelton (LH) and Carter (TH) with Arnold next behind Skelton. Simmons will contest the TH spot if he gets over his injuries.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
With the front row we're likely to select, I'd rather just have our locks do the donkey work - shift bodies, hit rucks, smash people, along with the flankers.

Slipper, Moore/TPN, Kepu can all run the ball. We need to make sure the roles are covered

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Skelton comes along well enough this year we could well end up with a starting combo of Simmons and Skelton.

Maybe the answer late in the game is to finish with Simmons and Carter who should provide our reserve front row with the most stable scrum and look to finish with Pocock and Hooper in the backrow to provide the most impact.

If there's any intention of having Hooper and Pocock on the field at the same time it becomes more crucial to have a locking combination that handles set piece the best.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Douglas wasn't even making the starting team after he first went over, and his form wasn't too great to boot, don't know how he is going more recently though.

Douglas hasn't been a standout for the Wallabies in the past either (quite the opposite) unlike other guys who got the proposed treatment - Vickerman and Elsom. It would really be a struggle for Douglas to make the Wallabies squad if he committed to returning, unless it's a personal Cheika pick, which I doubt would happen.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Douglas' problem is that he left right when he'd played the Super Rugby season making him most worthy of Wallaby selection.

It makes it a case of what ifs because outside of that he hasn't been good for the Wallabies on a consistent basis when given the opportunity.

Reactions: Ash

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
But I have never understood the idea of trying to make the gain line continually from a standing start, a bit more effort and hitting the ball on the burst has always made sense.

Agree and it's a long standing frustration of mine when watching a lot of our forwards. You can't bend the line if you're not hitting it at pace. It's something that the Tahs did very well last year: Phipps and Foley hitting the big ball runners with passes out in front and getting some really solid go forward. That wins you a lot of games.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agree and it's a long standing frustration of mine when watching a lot of our forwards. You can't bend the line if you're not hitting it at pace. It's something that the Tahs did very well last year: Phipps and Foley hitting the big ball runners with passes out in front and getting some really solid go forward. That wins you a lot of games.

It's a compounding effect as well.

If you've got a whole pod running onto the ball, the ball runner will probably get over the advantage line with the other two forwards clearing out immediately (and helping the runner get over the advantage line and to ground) and then you should get really quick ball on the next phase.

Even if you don't make much ground, the speed at which you should get the ball back should help your situation for the next phase.

Any team who can string about 3 phases together that all get over the advantage line and create quick ball will probably find that an opportunity opens up somewhere on the field due to defenders scrambling to the breakdown and filling the spaces either side of it.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I do agree we need a hard-nosed lock to compliment either Carter or Simmons BUT how is Skelton even considered a lock, His scrummaging is poor and he can't even jump in the line-out.

Having a starting lock that can't jump completely baffles me. He is big and strong but should be an impact player only, converted to an 8, or the team needs to actually start lifting him in the line-out if that is even possible.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
In line with this page's thoughts, and before you say it, NO this isn't a Brumbies bias:

Slipper
Moore
Kepu

Arnold/Skelton
Carter

Fardy
Hooper
Palu/Vaea

Sio
TPN
....Alexander?
Skelton/Arnold
Pocock
Vaea/McCalman/Higgers

is IMO pretty balanced, big, aggressive and yet mobile.
5 good ball runners, a few rock shifting cleanout junkies, decent pilfering across all backrowers, a big strong second row to really lock a scrum together, 3 excellent lineout options, and a powerful and dynamic bench that would all provide genuine impact into a game.

God, imagine releasing Skelton and Vaea with 25mins to go.

Thoughts?

*Haven't considered Simmons at this stage as he's injured and not coming back any minute, it's totally unknown how he'll perform upon return.

Status
Not open for further replies.