• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fardy went overseas not due to Cheika but for the experience. At the time he stated he was getting on and he wanted to experience playing in Europe and he knew that meant that he might never play for the Wallabies again.

I have a quote for this:
Lets not rewrite history.

Fardy left for four reasons collectively: He wasn't getting back into the Wallabies despite being the best option, the Brumbies didn't give him the captaincy, Leinster offered him a good salary, and European competition was an exciting opportunity. Remove even one of those reasons, and he probably stays. Instead, Dean Mumm was the favourite son, Sam Carter was the chosen captain, Australian Rugby can't match overseas money, and Leinster were poised to become the best club team in the world. Perfect storm.

And before coming back with that Fardy interview, nobody likes airing dirty laundry and nobody wants to admit they're chasing cash. It's what made To'omua's interview, given when he left, such a refreshing read:
To'omua signed a lucrative contract with Leicester after 10 seasons in Canberra.

Asked what attracts Australia's talent to Europe, To'omua was frank. "The money, it's there," he said.

"Then there's the lifestyle and opportunity that is something different. Give anyone in their work a chance to earn good money in a new part of the world, most people would take it.

"I get to play at a big club in England and that's exciting. To be fair, you see a lot of guys coming back after not long and it's not quite what they thought it would be.
Source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...es-coach-stephen-larkham-20160705-gpytk4.html

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Your options are limited. Balance in the back row is considerably more important than a nice to have. Without balance we have a compromise. That compromise may or (more likely) may not be worthwhile. Nor is bringing in someone Rubbish the only option, though Cheika did reduce options such as Fardy and Higgers.

If your intended structure is something novel, such as starting two openside flankers, onus is on the designer of that novelty to cover the weaknesses.

Every selection decision is a compromise but I don't particular agree with people that suggest balance (with our current depth at 6 or 8) over playing our two best players.

Most discussion of balance harbors around the lineout. Yes, I agree that not having another taller target places more pressure on it however I see three bigger issues being our jumping (Rodda and Coleman are both static, lethargic jumpers), our calling (Rodda and Coleman are both inexperienced) and our throwing ability. Now if the lineout was functioning properly people wouldn't be as worried so lets work hard on the other three items. I also think Hooper has greatly improved as a jumper.

If it was me, I'd look to put Higgers at 6. Best lineout jumper in Australia (dynamic, aggressive and abrasive). I really like Pocock at 8 from a defensive scrum too. It generally allows him to be the second person to the breakdown.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have a quote for this:

Fardy left for four reasons collectively: He wasn't getting back into the Wallabies despite being the best option, the Brumbies didn't give him the captaincy, Leinster offered him a good salary, and European competition was an exciting opportunity. Remove even one of those reasons, and he probably stays. Instead, Dean Mumm was the favourite son, Sam Carter was the chosen captain, Australian Rugby can't match overseas money, and Leinster were poised to become the best club team in the world. Perfect storm.

And before coming back with that Fardy interview, nobody likes airing dirty laundry and nobody wants to admit they're chasing cash. It's what made To'omua's interview, given when he left, such a refreshing read:

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...es-coach-stephen-larkham-20160705-gpytk4.html

Agree, in all likelihood it is a bunch of reasons. I just don't like people blaming RA or Cheika every time a players goes OS.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Every selection decision is a compromise but I don't particular agree with people that suggest balance (with our current depth at 6 or 8) over playing our two best players.

Most discussion of balance harbors around the lineout. Yes, I agree that not having another taller target places more pressure on it however I see three bigger issues being our jumping (Rodda and Coleman are both static, lethargic jumpers), our calling (Rodda and Coleman are both inexperienced) and our throwing ability. Now if the lineout was functioning properly people wouldn't be as worried so lets work hard on the other three items. I also think Hooper has greatly improved as a jumper.

If it was me, I'd look to put Higgers at 6. Best lineout jumper in Australia (dynamic, aggressive and abrasive). I really like Pocock at 8 from a defensive scrum too. It generally allows him to be the second person to the breakdown.

While lineout is probably the bigger issue I think having a linebending backrower is also important and something we are currently lacking

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
While lineout is probably the bigger issue I think having a linebending backrower is also important and something we are currently lacking

And unfortunately Timu is the only eligible player in that mold. Hopefully Rob Valetini and Isi Naisarani can grow into that space too.

Surprised that Kelly Meafua and Tala Gray didn't get more of a chance at the tahs to be that type of player.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Balance of a backrow is a nice to have. It is certainly not worth benching your second best player to bring in someone rubbish.

Not advocating that and I mentioned there isn't a viable option at the moment. This is why we are stuck with an undersized back row combo that doesn't have enough jumping or line bending ability. I'd be fine with two flyers if we had a bruiser to complement them. We clearly don't at the moment.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Not advocating that and I mentioned there isn't a viable option at the moment. This is why we are stuck with an undersized back row combo that doesn't have enough jumping or line bending ability. I'd be fine with two flyers if we had a bruiser to complement them. We clearly don't at the moment...

...which is neither the fault of Cheika nor the two flyers themselves.

B

Bobby Sands

A travesty that Cottrell did not play ahead of Hanigan.

To'omua is the world cup 10.

Hodge should play 12 not 13.

Petaia will make the WC XV.

Isa to solve a few headaches (ball-running and line-out option).

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
They're all just you're opinion which is what this site is all about. But..
A travesty that Cottrell did not play ahead of Hanigan. He was selected but got injured. I don't know where he was in the pecking order but Cheika was obviously prepared to give him a go. Far from a 'travesty'.

To'omua is the world cup 10. No. He did nothing to show he should be picked above the other options. He's our RWC #12 though.

Hodge should play 12 not 13. Read above

Petaia will make the WC XV. Maybe, if he does, good on him.

Isa to solve a few headaches (ball-running and line-out option). Same answer as above.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
.which is neither the fault of Cheika nor the two flyers themselves.

It isn't, in the sense that there isn't a ready made replacement for Pocock at eight. However, I think Holloway could have developed into that guy with the right coaching (injuries notwithstanding). Problem is that Cheika doesn't rate him, which is his right as head coach. Isi could be the guy, though we don't have a lot of time to find out.

I don't blame the players for being picked -- not their decision after all. I just don't think the pack looks right with that back row combination and it also clearly doesn't work against good opposition in that it's too easily nullified.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A travesty that Cottrell did not play ahead of Hanigan.

To'omua is the world cup 10.

Hodge should play 12 not 13.

Petaia will make the WC XV.

Isa to solve a few headaches (ball-running and line-out option).
So he can kick it dead once a match? I can't tell if Foley's popgun is better or worse.

Fingers crossed Quade or Stewart have a cracking Super season.

B

Bobby Sands

So he can kick it dead once a match? I can't tell if Foley's popgun is better or worse.

Fingers crossed Quade or Stewart have a cracking Super season.

Yes, in a test match recently Matt To'omua struck a ball too cleanly and the ball went dead once. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.