• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Squad Predictions 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wazimba2K

O0

Dingo has a way of doing things according to my observation. His first Wallaby selection had more Waratahs than any other team since they were the top Aussie S-14 team. Regardless of form of other players, he will probably do the same thing when selection time comes. This led to Mark Gerrard leaving for Japan and other players feeling like shit. If Gasnier is in town then, his selection headache should compound.

If i played in the S-14 and the National coach kept selecting players out of position, it would kill my morale. As a rule, I think there should be a percentage of time played in a certain position to gain a call up in that position. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) lack of gained wisdom at 12 led to our loss vs the Springboks when he couldn't communicate well with Gits in the 2009 Tri-Nations.

Having said that, I foresee the Reds having a better season and possibly Genia in as Vice-Captain.

1.Alexander
2.Moore
3.Robinson
4.Chisolm
5.Sharpe
6.Poccock
7.Elsom
8.Palu
9.Genia
10.QC (Quade Cooper)
11.McCabe
12.Lealifano
13.Ioane
14.Fainifo
15.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16.TPN
17.Weeks/Maafu
18.Mumm/Brown
19.Mowen
20.Giteau
21.Halangahu
22.Tyrone Smith

My only selection drawbacks are cover for 15 and impact players. I would rather take that chance than give JOC (James O'Connor) the flagbearer for young Wallabies. I love him but, he was the golden child and more shall follow e.g Lealiifano and McCabe.
Giteau should cover 9,10,12 in his bench position. The cover for 15 would be moving Ioane to 15, and slotting Giteau in at 12, and Lealiifano at 13.

For impact play, Bring in during second half, Weeks at 3, Mowen at 5,Brown at 8, Giteau at 9,Lealifano at 12, Tyrone Smith at 13, Ioane to Fullback.

I would like to experiment Gits at 9, QC (Quade Cooper) at 10, Lealifano at 12 and keep interchanging their involvement between this positions! Here come the insults.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
thatguy said:
Along with Pocock at blindside and Elsom at openside?

It's opposite day!

Unless it's some interesting tactic to allow the opensider to be the 3rd man to the tackle so he can play at the ball. Doubt it though.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't think Hickeys forward tactics (like the one above) have proved an issue. More his back-line selections.

He'd make a good forward coach.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Hard to see too many changes from last year's touring squad at this stage, but one or two bolters are likely to emerge.

I want to see how Jake Schaatz finishes up his first S14 season. He may well be a huge bolter.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
en_force_er said:
I don't think Hickeys forward tactics (like the one above) have proved an issue. More his back-line selections.

You are talking about a coach who doesn't believe that the No. 8 should push in the scrum.

You are talking about a coach whose pack raided the opposition try line with a two man advantage and turned the ball over.

You are talking about a coach whose forwards haven't yet got around to practising kick reception.

You are talking about a coach whose forwards didn't contest the defensive lineout against the Bulls.

Yes, he'd probably make a good forwards coach - but only in comparison to how good a backs coach he is.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Ash said:
Curious numbering for your bench too, and no halfback replacement.

In case of injury to Genia (the only reason to replace him): Giteau to half back, either Barnes or Cooper to fly half. The only problem with my bench is probably too many backs - I think a 5/2 split is best (let's face it, forwards are generally the ones who need replacing due to exhaustion as they do most of the work)

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
As Juan Cote pointed out on the front page, Quade has missed around 40% of his tackles so far this year (made 17, missed 11).

Can you seriously have this at a modern international level? Until it's fixed, he'll have to be the bit-part player.

I'm liking JOC (James O'Connor) in the 12 channel

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Bruce Ross said:
en_force_er said:

You are talking about a coach who doesn't believe that the No. 8 should push in the scrum.

You are talking about a coach whose pack raided the opposition try line with a two man advantage and turned the ball over.

You are talking about a coach whose forwards haven't yet got around to practising kick reception.

You are talking about a coach whose forwards didn't contest the defensive lineout against the Bulls.

Yes, he'd probably make a good forwards coach - but only in comparison to how good a backs coach he is.

Your points are good for the most part but I certainly see merit in not contesting the Bulls' lineout ball on their own throw.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Gagger said:
As Juan Cote pointed out on the front page, Quade has missed around 40% of his tackles so far this year (made 17, missed 11).

Can you seriously have this at a modern international level? Until it's fixed, he'll have to be the bit-part player.

His defense is awful. Even when he makes the tackle he runs at them completely upright and almost looks surprised when he makes contact and just kind of flails them around until someone comes to help. I mean I know he stops them but sooo ineffectively.

It's like he has been coached to put defensive pressure on the opposition (and he does sprint at them with intensity) but once he gets there he regrets it and doesn't know what to do.

That being said he is exactly what the wobs need from a 10 attack-wise.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Dingo Deans helped with Coopers defence during the spring tour. I think with some more time under deans he'll fix up his defence. Probably not to the consistency that we want, but im sure it will get recognisably better.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Seb V said:
Dingo Deans helped with Coopers defence during the spring tour.

So what you're telling us, Seb, is that his defence used to be even more inadequate. You may well be right, as when I first watched the lad, I was totally preoccupied with trying to work out what useful purpose was served by him jumping in the air, offering himself as a stationary target to be knocked over.

I still haven't worked that one out. Nor have I worked out why his opponents aren't programmed to instantly take him out every time he does it.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Bruce Ross said:
Seb V said:
Dingo Deans helped with Coopers defence during the spring tour.

So what you're telling us, Seb, is that his defence used to be even more inadequate. You may well be right, as when I first watched the lad, I was totally preoccupied with trying to work out what useful purpose was served by him jumping in the air, offering himself as a stationary target to be knocked over.

I still haven't worked that one out. Nor have I worked out why his opponents aren't programmed to instantly take him out every time he does it.
Probably because it is not as easy as it looks.

Why all the hate for 'the hop', or is it just hate for Quade? Kingi uses it a lot but I don't see him get bagged. It is just another form of evasive skill, ala the sidestep, the goosetep, the swerve, the dummy etc... Do you guys not see how often it is used by young players these days, forwards included?

If it is executed badly, or well read, then the player attempting it may well get smashed, just as someone who doesnt sell the dummy, or telegraphs a conventional step might. That's the risk they take.

When it is not overused, and done well it is a real weapon. As I've said on another, ask Drew Mitchell how effective it can be.

I think haters are just being old fashioned.

G

GC

15 Hynes
14 Mitchell
13 Ashley-Cooper
12 Giteau
11 Ioane
10 Cooper
9 Genia
8 Palu
7 Pocock
6 Elsom [c]
5 Sharpe
4 Mumm
3 Alexander
2 Polata-Nau
1 Robinson

16 Moore
17 Weeks
18 Van Humphries (if his form is still good)
19 Hodgson
20 Burgess
21 Barnes
22 O'Connor

Australia A

15 Lealiifano
14 Cummins
13 Horne
12 A Fainga'a
11 Luke Morahan
10 To'omua
9 Kingi