• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Squad Predictions 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Probably because it is not as easy as it looks.

Why all the hate for 'the hop', or is it just hate for Quade? Kingi uses it a lot but I don't see him get bagged. It is just another form of evasive skill, ala the sidestep, the goosetep, the swerve, the dummy etc... Do you guys not see how often it is used by young players these days, forwards included?

If it is executed badly, or well read, then the player attempting it may well get smashed, just as someone who doesnt sell the dummy, or telegraphs a conventional step might. That's the risk they take.

When it is not overused, and done well it is a real weapon. As I've said on another, ask Drew Mitchell how effective it can be.

I think haters are just being old fashioned.

I agree completely with spectator on this. Just because you don't understand the technique, doesn't mean it doesn't have merit.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm not sure about Kingi and Morahan in your A team GC
Not saying they won't be there but a big call at this time considering their game time to date

Also unsure about To'omua at 10 since he's not playing that position atm. Might be better off with Hangers

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Harmichael Kunt also uses it to good effect. I think if you did it too late you would definitely get smashed, but if you did it at a distance where the oppositing has to make a decision on which direction you will spring forward in when you land then it could be effective.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The hop has been used in the past, and it will be used again.

It is effective when the defensive and attacking lines are fairly stationary. Jumping in the air allows you to spring off either side when hitting the ground and gain a metre or so on the intended tackler as it is difficult to know which way the attacker is going to spring.

I have used it playing reasonably high level touch football. It is more useful in that game though, as you have more times when defensive and attacking lines are stationary.

Apart from the obvious example of Benji Marshall, there have been others such as Adrian Lam (league and touch football international) that have also used it to great effect (not always mind you).

T

tranquility

Yeah Benji Marshall brought it to the attention of rugby league about 5 or 6 years ago, and it was a skill he picked up from playing touch football at a very high standard. Quade used to talk about watching all of Benji's touch football footage for skills tips, and will unashamedly tell you he has based alot of his playing base on Benji. Karmichael came through at almost the exact same time as Benji so there would be debate on who copied who, however his variation was slightly different to Quade and Benji. However Wayne Bennett asked him to stop doing it, so he took it out of his game.

G

GC

rsea said:
I'm not sure about Kingi and Morahan in your A team GC
Not saying they won't be there but a big call at this time considering their game time to date

Also unsure about To'omua at 10 since he's not playing that position atm. Might be better off with Hangers

Both were reserves for the mid-week team last year, which is at least A level. They're ready to step up this year. To'omua was 10 for Brumbies when Gits was injured, I think. Also 10 for the mid-week game last year though injured after a few minutes?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Bruce Ross said:
Seb V said:
Dingo Deans helped with Coopers defence during the spring tour.

So what you're telling us, Seb, is that his defence used to be even more inadequate. You may well be right, as when I first watched the lad, I was totally preoccupied with trying to work out what useful purpose was served by him jumping in the air, offering himself as a stationary target to be knocked over.

I still haven't worked that one out. Nor have I worked out why his opponents aren't programmed to instantly take him out every time he does it.

Yes his defence was even worse. I think its worse now in the super 14 then it was on the spring tour. He wasnt too bad in the spring tour while under deans. He even had a few dominant tackles. Now he's back to falling off everything. For me this just shows its something that he can work on. The reds should just get forwards to continuously run at him until he improves. I think its mostly a mental thing. Like some-one mentioned b4, while at the wallabies get palu to run at him over and over again until his fear of contact diminishes.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I have a different theory on his defence. I don't think its an aversion borne of fear. It's more that the tackling style he has, was effective as a Junior, and allowed him to either pilfer ball at random or position himself well for the next play. It obviously doesn't work for him at this level and exposes a frailty, so he should work on changing it, as hard as he looks to have worked on other parts of his game, and his image.

Kurtley Beale is another who was dominant in the tackle as a schoolboy, but has found the style has shortcomings in elite Senior rugby.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I agree that his defence just isn't acceptable. He's been directly responsible for at least two tries through really poor attempts at rush tackles. Almost he wanted to have the appearance of having made an effort in the tackle rather than actually having made an effort.

Cyril Towers (30)
spectator said:
I have a different theory on his defence. I don't think its an aversion borne of fear. It's more that the tackling style he has, was effective as a Junior, and allowed him to either pilfer ball at random or position himself well for the next play. It obviously doesn't work for him at this level and exposes a frailty, so he should work on changing it, as hard as he looks to have worked on other parts of his game, and his image.

Kurtley Beale is another who was dominant in the tackle as a schoolboy, but has found the style has shortcomings in elite Senior rugby.

Watched a lot of both of them as schoolboys, especially Kurtley. Agree 100% with Spectator. They both used to attack the ball and get it a lot of the time, and they were always looking to stay on their feet so that they could capitalise on any opportunity that presented. It just doesn't work at this level.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
topo said:
Leroy Houston Number 8 in the "A" side. Wow I didn't think our stocks were that depleted. Is Hoiles that much on the nose? I'd rather go with him or McAlman as a smokey.
To be fair to Leroy he's not long back from a short injury layoff and looks fitter than he ever has before. Has been solid so far in the little game time he has had, and looked quite committed and involved when he captained the Qld A side a few weeks ago. As with a lot of his teammates, I think he too may benefit from the 'Link effect'.

If he can play to his true potential he would definitely have to be a chance for higher selection.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Some curious selections here.

Giteau is not a 9. Giteau is not a 10. I'm not sure what Barnes is. JOC (James O'Connor) isn't sure what he is. No one is sure what AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is.

Next year is RWC time. Deans will blood a few players in the June tests and the EOYT. I reckon Weekes, Douglas, Mowen, Higgenbottom, Lealifano, Horne and Cummins will probably get a look in at some stage. We are short of genuine locks so Douglas, providing he continues to improve, is a real chance.

P

PhucNgo

Cutter said:

Giteau is not a 9. Giteau is not a 10. I'm not sure what Barnes is. JOC (James O'Connor) isn't sure what he is. No one is sure what AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is.

Next year is RWC time. Deans will blood a few players in the June tests and the EOYT. I reckon Weekes, Douglas, Mowen, Higgenbottom, Lealifano, Horne and Cummins will probably get a look in at some stage. We are short of genuine locks so Douglas, providing he continues to improve, is a real chance.

Yep. V.impressed with what I've seen so far. If he continues to improve Horwill will find it tough to get back in. Douglas appears to have greater athleticism and mobility around the park cf Horwill who is a bit ponderous and struggles to get to rucks before they've completed (and doesn't appear to do too much even when he does catch one).

S

Spook

Big call....Luke Morahan for one wing spot. Diggers on the other.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
PhucNgo said:
Douglas appears to have greater athleticism and mobility around the park cf Horwill who is a bit ponderous and struggles to get to rucks before they've completed (and doesn't appear to do too much even when he does catch one).

Douglas has been the bolter of the year for me on the strength of 4 rounds to date. It's quite in contrast with him as a 19 y.o. struggling with the pace of a trial game at Newcastle just over a year ago. It's amazing what a year in the pro academy has done for him. He was supposed to be in the pro academy again this year but he's racked up too many games and must be fully contracted by now.

Don't agree with your comments about Horwill not doing much at rucks. He had a very physical game in the last test - against Wales, for example. That's an area that young Douglas will have to work on but you could say that about any 20 y.o. professional lock.

The thing is: we haven't even seen him with ball in hand much this year yet, nor any of the big hits he can do. And, bonus, he packs down for the Tahs on the TH side of the scrum.

I think Oz rugby has a keeper. If 2009 schoolboys Luke Jones and Greg Peterson progress as I think they will, there will be a couple more young gun locks in a couple of years time though, like 3M, who knows where Jones will end up playing during his pro career. Talk about mobility.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yep, the comment about Horwill at ruck times is very misguided Phuc. He was one of the hardest working forwards for the Reds and Wallabies, even when coming back from injury. I've lost count the amount of times he has been at wider rucks first or second competing for the ball.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Cutter said:

I just want to put it in writing that I believe that the Brumbies are undermining the performance of the wallabies by consistently picking players out of the position we would like to see.

Alexander at LH. Giteau at 10. Mortlock at 12 or wing on occasion. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at FB.

It is even impacting poorly on their own performance.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
Big call....Luke Morahan for one wing spot. Diggers on the other.

Morahan looked very average for most of last weeks game, he showed no urgency when working back to cover kicks the whole game.

One ball chase is not enough.

P

PhucNgo

Lee Grant said:
PhucNgo said:
Douglas appears to have greater athleticism and mobility around the park cf Horwill who is a bit ponderous and struggles to get to rucks before they've completed (and doesn't appear to do too much even when he does catch one).

Douglas has been the bolter of the year for me on the strength of 4 rounds to date. It's quite in contrast with him as a 19 y.o. struggling with the pace of a trial game at Newcastle just over a year ago. It's amazing what a year in the pro academy has done for him. He was supposed to be in the pro academy again this year but he's racked up too many games and must be fully contracted by now.

Don't agree with your comments about Horwill not doing much at rucks. He had a very physical game in the last test - against Wales, for example. That's an area that young Douglas will have to work on but you could say that about any 20 y.o. professional lock.

The thing is: we haven't even seen him with ball in hand much this year yet, nor any of the big hits he can do. And, bonus, he packs down for the Tahs on the TH side of the scrum.

I think Oz rugby has a keeper. If 2009 schoolboys Luke Jones and Greg Peterson progress as I think they will, there will be a couple more young gun locks in a couple of years time though, like 3M, who knows where Jones will end up playing during his pro career. Talk about mobility.

Lee, you must have been dozing when he stormed away for a 40m carry in either the Stormers or Bull's matches (can't recall which). Reminiscent of Chisholm's carry a few years back.

Regarding Horwill, well we'll just have to agree to disagree and I'll (be more than happy to) stand corrected when proven so. For mine, Big Kev was fortunate enough to be around to fill the void created by Vickerman's departure and has done a reasonable but not outstanding job. Note that the Reds don't seem to be significantly disadvantaged by his current absence with both Byrnes (who is quietly improving) and Humphries doing the business. I'm also thinking that given the prospect of a lengthy rehab, that Genia will cement his place as Reds captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom