• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Two in 20 years.

Do we need to list all the backs currently playing in the Kiwi S14?

I think you missed the point Gagger.

I would rate those two in the top 10 counter attacking players of the past 20 years.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Scotty said:
Two in 20 years.

Do we need to list all the backs currently playing in the Kiwi S14?

I think you missed the point Gagger.

I would rate those two in the top 10 counter attacking players of the past 20 years.

...in the world. ie 20 % of the world's best counter attacking players in the last 20 years.

Timmy Horan was a very handy counter attacker as well. He was rarely back to field kicks, but when he did he was dangerous. Does anyone remember the last try he scored for Saracens (?) when he was playing in the UK? He was at fullback and carved.

Ioane is good. Andrew Walker was another one who was good on counter attack. Matt Burke when he first came on the scene. Jorgensen and Junee before they left. We have had our fair share but they dont prosper because...its coached out of us I say, coached out of us. If we could retain the counterattacking flair and threat but couple it with our structure and ability to score from set pieces then we would be very dangerous. This assumes, of course, that we are still winning our set pieces which is more important than anything else.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I'll give you 2 X-Men over the history of time.

What do you reckon our share of the current S14 is? (ignoring rest of world, including Wales and France, for now)

All of our coaches coach it out of them?

The other coaches are better?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The influence of Macqueen's golden era and EJ (Eddie Jones)'s less golden era can't be underestimated. Most of the schoolboy, junior and club coaches have been heavily infected. I know that the teams I played in were all trying to play like the Brumbies in the late nineties and early 2000s. The young guys coming through do well to maintain any spontaneity by the time they get to S14 level and, in the case of Cooper in particular, everyone is crying for him to be more structured.

At the same time, across the ditch, the Kiwi youngsters were being inspired by the masterful, enigmatic Carlos Spencer, Christian Cullen, Jeff Wilson, Jonah Lomu, Umaga, Muliaina, Rococoko, Caucau, Sivivatu etc. The ABs and Blues circa 2003 were the best counterattacking, flair teams I have seen.

As you say in your article, our structure is one of our strengths but that means that the flair players have to fit in. It took Latham a long time to realise this and take his Super form to the test arena.

Deans is the first coach in a long while to encourage flair. Think Burgess who languished at the Brumbies for 2 seasons before being encouraged to chance his arm, O'Connor and Cooper in particular.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the real mystery to me. He can counterattack but, seemingly, was told to hoist bombs last season. Hopefully, this season, his wingers will work hard to get back to support him and Deans will tell him to run it if he has the support. Maybe its his judgement that is wanting? He seems to go well on the wing and at 12 (I cant recall him being dominant at 13) when he doesnt need to think too much.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yep, I reckon AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is one of, if not the most balance runner of the ball in Oz rugby. It is very difficult for him to get knocked off his feet, even if he is travelling at full pace. I too hope we see him take on the line more against the Baabaas, and hopefully Deans has given him the opportunity to do so.

I would prescribe to Cutters view of counter attacking ability rather than Gaggers regarding aus rugby. A genetic disposition against counter attacking would presume all our players come from the same type of genes!

We certainly fall down compared to NZ regarding the number of counter attacking players, but who doesn't? The Welsh are the only ones you could put on a similar level.

Status
Not open for further replies.