• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Gagger said:
Set piece and quick go forward ball is more our style I believe.

Yes, strong set pieces, quick forward ball, plus judicious tactical kicking.

On top of that, I am happy to see Deans add the flair to take advantage of turnover ball and broken play (but this should be in addition to solidity in the other areas).

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gagger said:
Have elaborated my points (rambled on) on the front page with a few vids to demonstrate

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/vid-analysis-the-wallabies-point-of-difference/

Gagger, you have saved me the work of writing a serious piece about the mighty pack which Robbie is assembling - and I am not joking. I look forward to a pack with (1) excellent set pieces (2) Robinson, Moore and Alexander trucking it up (2) Horwill, Sharpe/ Kimlin, Palu and Rocky ....ing (we need a new verb here and it must not start with "f") it on with Burgess, Giteau and O'Connor lurking (3) as a result of 1 and 2, the vaunted backs have all the room they need to run rampant.

Simple, isn't it? The big worry is that numbers 9-15 (with two exceptions) have to learn to play rugby first.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Exactamundo Biff.

Is it just me who thinks we're not genetically disposed to counter-attacking?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gagger said:

Et moi (getting ready for Brock James to lead Clermont to the T14 title on Saturday).

I have always liked Bob Dwyer's "let's keep the winning of the game in our own hands".

ooops, that makes me worry more about 9-15 :(

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I recall sitting in a restaurant/ bar in Rome in 1992. An American approached my pro tem lady and me and said "hey, you Australian?" Without waiting for a reply (the lady, BTW, wasn't Australian) he sat down and started talking. Within ten minutes, without a mention of rugby from anyone, he said "hey, I love those Aussie guys who play rugby ... what are they called? Oh yes, Wallabies. I don't know anything about rugby but I love watching them - they just attack, attack, attack". I agreed ... still do.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Gagger said:
Exactamundo Biff.

I disagree. I think its coached out of us. Latham, Hewat, Campo, Roff, Larkham were all brilliant counter attackers. When they first came on the scene, so were players like Gerrard, Mitchell, Turner (still is quite good) and Hynes.

S

Spook

Biffo said:
I recall sitting in a restaurant/ bar in Rome in 1992. An American approached my pro tem lady and me and said "hey, you Australian?" Without waiting for a reply (the lady, BTW, wasn't Australian) he sat down and started talking. Within ten minutes, without a mention of rugby from anyone, he said "hey, I love those Aussie guys who play rugby ... what are they called? Oh yes, Wallabies. I don't know anything about rugby but I love watching them - they just attack, attack, attack". I agreed ... still do.

how many wives have you had?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I disagree. I think its coached out of us. Latham, Hewat, Campo, Roff, Larkham were all brilliant counter attackers. When they first came on the scene, so were players like Gerrard, Mitchell, Turner (still is quite good) and Hynes.

I'm with Cutter on this one. Campo and Latho are two of the best counter attacking players of the last 20 years.

Eddie and Rod preferred controlled play, which reduced 'loose' counter attacking rugby.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Scotty said:
Campo and Latho are two of the best counter attacking players of the last 20 years.

Two in 20 years.

Do we need to list all the backs currently playing in the Kiwi S14?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Scotty said:
Campo and Latho are two of the best counter attacking players of the last 20 years.

Although, by my arguments that would make them genetic rugby freaks. The Wallaby X-Men....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Aus under MacQueen and Jones played very very structured rugby with Gregan & Larkham running the show.

When Johnson became "attack" coach the premise was "play what is front of you"; we started to stumble at that moment.

Deans is a bit of both, very very structured, but prepared to ad lib as well.

One of the best tries we scored last was against France in France was very structured, punching right and left one off the ruck until the numbers were right, then through the hands and try in the corner.

S

Spook

The Fat one makes a good point. The Wobblies need to retain the ability to score off first-phase possession.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
Does a mid-field bomb count as first phase?

Yep, but that will depend on how lazy our backs are this year.

If they get off their arses and work back the 15 may have other options.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Biffo said:
Spook said:
how many wives have you had?
Do you mean of my own or including those of other men?

Gold, rolled gold. Reply of the year. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

One of my oldest mates was one of the last (some of our legal mates think he was the last) men to be cited as a corespondent in a divorce case in Australia. Now THAT'S a badge I'd wear with great pride. He was very sheepish about it as a young bloke, only because he was caught. He's now happily married.

Status
Not open for further replies.