• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I agree.

Where would you go after Betham though?

Morahan for sure. Does anyone remember his performance against the Bristish and Irish Lions? 2 or 3 try saving tackles, always threatening with ball in hand, and an amazing solo try. That game showed he can handle the physicality of Test match rugby.

I think he's the dark horse that might make his way into the team in the near future (next 2 or 3 years).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Morahan for sure. Does anyone remember his performance against the Bristish and Irish Lions? 2 or 3 try saving tackles, always threatening with ball in hand, and an amazing solo try. That game showed he can handle the physicality of Test match rugby.

I think he's the dark horse that might make his way into the team in the near future (next 2 or 3 years).

Is he even healthy?

I heard he's returning part way through the NRC.

I agree with you but I excluded him on the basis that he possibly isn't available for selection right now.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think our winger stocks are actually fine.

Currently Tomane, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, McCabe and now Betham. I think they will all do a fine job. Maybe not X-factor players but I wouldn't say weak links either.

So it would take a good 3 or 4 injuries in the next couple of weeks before I'm too concerned.

Fringe wingers Morahan, Shipperly could do well once they recover from injury or regain form. Spreight coming into the fold soon. JOC (James O'Connor) returning next year will boost options.

If worse comes to worse we could always chuck Beale on the wing, i actually think given his skill-set it would be his best position.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If worse comes to worse we could always chuck Beale on the wing, i actually think given his skill-set it would be his best position.

Be careful, I got shot down last week for suggesting such a thing! I agree, and I think it will happen..

T

Train Without a Station

Seb. Fuck X-Factor players. X-Factor players are for tactically inept coaches and teams that can't develop patterns of play which will break down defences, create overlaps and line breaks.

Give us some blokes with pace, can tackle, can take a high ball, can draw and pass, and can run a decent line.

Who's this SpReight fellow? If he's half as good as that Henry Speight we should have some decent wing depth.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
while we are back on the topic, the main concern here with playing Beale on the wing seemed to be that his defence is suspect..I watched last week's game closely and one that I recorded from earlier in the season and I think the reason he defends on the wing is that he is a good defender deep and wide and in cover defence..so, yes his head on defence is suspect in the channel, Horne is good at that so why not swap them around in defence..makes perfect sense.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Beale having a bit of a roving commission is certainly a benefit.

He's a player who you want touching the ball a lot of times. He is one of the better playmakers in the country and his attacking stats in Super Rugby this year are pretty much unparalleled.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Seb. Fuck X-Factor players. X-Factor players are for tactically inept coaches and teams that can't develop patterns of play which will break down defences, create overlaps and line breaks.

Give us some blokes with pace, can tackle, can take a high ball, can draw and pass, and can run a decent line.

Who's this SpReight fellow? If he's half as good as that Henry Speight we should have some decent wing depth.

I agree with your X-Factor comments which is why I'm not concerned.

Although I should note I think SPEIGHT (not Spreight) can tackle, take a high ball, can draw and pass, run a decent line AND has X-factor.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ah. That's difficult. For the Wallabies, and in the absence of Henry, Alofa, Morahan and Shipperley etc, I'd look at RHP or Moggy on the wing in front of Robbie.

Fuck. Might as well put Pfitzy there. If Mogg didn't put a massive double-line through his name on the weekend, there is no sense.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Beale certainly does have good 'attacking stats' and is really the perfect example of an X-factor player that can either win OR lose you a game.
I'd take Horne, McCabe over him any day.

A prime example, only last game against the Brumbies Beale makes a basic error and gets charged down by Lilo. Now instead of doing his best to recover from a basic mistake he makes a brain-dead decision to hold back Lilo by his shorts - now if he got picked up by the ref or touch judge it would be an automatic yellow.

KB (Kurtley Beale) has a habit of making basic errors and then compounding them into even bigger ones. I don't want a player like that starting against the AB's.

Like I said, A last resort on the wing, or an impact player from the bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm glad you're not a selector Seb.

I'll await your outrage when Link decides to select him as the starting 10 at some point this year.

Your prime example cost the Tahs nothing. Meanwhile, he scored the decisive try of the game out of nothing which kept the Brumbies turning down penalties and kicking for the corner and ultimately cost them the game.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm glad you're not a selector Seb.

I'll await your outrage when Link decides to select him as the starting 10 at some point this year.

Your prime example cost the Tahs nothing. Meanwhile, he scored the decisive try of the game out of nothing which kept the Brumbies turning down penalties and kicking for the corner and ultimately cost them the game.

I would be outraged at him starting at 10.

It was nothing but luck that meant it cost the Tahs nothing. It could have easily changed the whole game.

His try was hardly the decisive try? Firstly it was the result of Mogg being a weakling, and secondly the decision to kick in for the corner was surely due to Lilo's lack of form in the kicking department also.

The Tahs grinded out that win with pressure and defence.I feel they would have still won if Beale wasn't on the field. BUT the result could have been different if Beale's cynical play was picked up by the Ref.

T

Train Without a Station

Beale is a great attacking player. My problems with him is he has an erratic playing style. I don't mean in form, I mean in structure. I think as a 10 he would be far too detrimental to the attack as a whole because he struggles to stick to the set list (If you will allow me to use a music metaphor).

The reason why he can win or lose you a game, is not because of his own errors, but because when he does that at 14 blokes are going the other way so to speak.

He also lacks the passing game you'd want in a 10. He has a good short passing game and good instincts for passing but he has always struggled with long passing both ways.

Due to this I think he is a great attacking 12 in Super Rugby, but lacks the robustness in contact to go really well in test rugby in this position. I think it's required as you need to be able to crash it in attack when there's less opportunity and also less opportunity to hide in defence. Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure he could towel up the Irish or Italian there, but in a big game against a top 5 nation.

He's also a very good test 15 at his best. He is not great, because he is weak under the high ball. Izzy offers all Kurtley's strengths and none of his weaknesses, so at best Kurtley is the 2nd best fullback in Australia.

But I don't see him as a very good 10. He is at his best when he is able to rove and chime into attack when opportunities present themselves. I don't think he is better than average at managing a game and his erratic attacking behaviour makes it difficult to build attacks over phases.

That's my general thoughts anyway as to why he isn't a test starter for us.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Don't see Beale as a Wallaby 10. You cant ignore his current form though and I dont think its unreasonable to consider him for the wing. Ultimately for mine he is the man to come on for the last 20 to 30 to break a game. He has shown this ability time and time again. Call it x factor or whatever the fuck u want but he has it.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
This is wallaby watch. there should be no mention of mogg.

I agree that if Morahan was/is fit, I would hope he would be someone in the pecking order ahead of the likes of Betham, Shipperley, etc

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Beale is a great attacking player. My problems with him is he has an erratic playing style. I don't mean in form, I mean in structure. I think as a 10 he would be far too detrimental to the attack as a whole because he struggles to stick to the set list (If you will allow me to use a music metaphor).

The reason why he can win or lose you a game, is not because of his own errors, but because when he does that at 14 blokes are going the other way so to speak.

He also lacks the passing game you'd want in a 10. He has a good short passing game and good instincts for passing but he has always struggled with long passing both ways.

Due to this I think he is a great attacking 12 in Super Rugby, but lacks the robustness in contact to go really well in test rugby in this position. I think it's required as you need to be able to crash it in attack when there's less opportunity and also less opportunity to hide in defence. Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure he could towel up the Irish or Italian there, but in a big game against a top 5 nation.

He's also a very good test 15 at his best. He is not great, because he is weak under the high ball. Izzy offers all Kurtley's strengths and none of his weaknesses, so at best Kurtley is the 2nd best fullback in Australia.

But I don't see him as a very good 10. He is at his best when he is able to rove and chime into attack when opportunities present themselves. I don't think he is better than average at managing a game and his erratic attacking behaviour makes it difficult to build attacks over phases.

That's my general thoughts anyway as to why he isn't a test starter for us.

Quality post.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This is wallaby watch. there should be no mention of mogg.

I agree that if Morahan was/is fit, I would hope he would be someone in the pecking order ahead of the likes of Betham, Shipperley, etc

my apologies, I do agree overall but was looking at worst case scenario options..

Status
Not open for further replies.