• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Slim/Tomokin/BR/Brumbies fans,

What are your thoughts on the lock situation. You would be far more qualified to comment on Fardy and Carter. Do you consider either capable of playing TH Lock adequately at test level?

Carter plays it will and think his bigger then Fardy.. I really think Fardy is a better 6. Not sure his up to lock internationally. But he does step up.

I don't think either would let you down.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

I'm sure Fardy is up to lock internationally but I think he really is our best 6.

To play him at lock comes down to is the 6 we play better at 6 than the other lock option is at lock.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
1/ Slipper
2/ Moore
3/ Alexander
4/ Simmons
5/ Horwill
6/ Fardy
7/ Hooper
8/ Higgers/Palu
9/ Genia
10/ Cooper
11/ Cummins
12/ To'omua
13/ Kuindrani
14/ Tomane
15/ Falou

That will be what the side for the first French test will look like.
Zero chance AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) misses out

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm sure Fardy is up to lock internationally but I think he really is our best 6.

To play him at lock comes down to is the 6 we play better at 6 than the other lock option is at lock.

I'm pretty much on board with this. My view was Higgers, Mowen and Fardy had to be there somewhere and there is a way to play all 3. The lock alternatives didn't appeal to me as much with Simmons and Horwill out of form in my eyes and the guys playing the best in that position currently untried internationally. So to be able to play Fardy in one of those positions is handy.

But it really comes down to whether or not Mowen is considered, which I don't think has much to do with form at all and more to do with whether they pick the best team for now or start building for the Cup.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Is Mowen a better 8 than Palu or Higgers and is he a better 6 than Fardy?

Mowen is a very solid player and a good leader but with all fit it's unlikely he would be first choice anywhere...............not even taking into consideration that he is departing.

6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Higgers

or

6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Palu

I like the first option personally and think Higgers is ready to unload at test level as an 8.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be fair, Mowen's performances against the Lions were better than anything Higgers has dished up at test level..........

But I don't think he should be selected unless we've got an injury crisis between now and then.........

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think the incumbants that are playing very well and will be picked straight up and without question in the run-on side are;

Slipper
Moore
Alexander
Simmons
Fardy
Hooper
To'omua
Kuindrani
The Badger
Folau

The other 5 to be started are debatable

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think the incumbants that are playing very well and will be picked straight up and without question in the run-on side are;

Slipper
Moore
Alexander
Simmons
Fardy
Hooper
To'omua
Kuindrani
The Badger
Folau

Agree with this, however key questions are where is To'omua going to play, 10 or 12. Likewise with Fardy at 4 or 6. Howver agree, they are a shoe-in to start

Would also question the Badger, don't think he has played better then Tomane, plus with options of Spreight or shifting ACC to the wing he has a bit of work to do to be a straight-up selection.

Some might questions Simmons form, but really there is no-one else. Some-one needs to call the line-out. Mowen is not an option IMO - unless injury happens.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Whilst To'omua is currently the best 10, the combination of Cooper 10 and To'omua 12 is certainly the best option.

To'omua has all the attributes as an inside centre, and Cooper thrives with a ball player outside him.

No brainer for mine

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

Slipper
Moore
Alexander
Simmons
Fardy
Hooper
To'omua
Kuindrani
The Badger
Folau

Can't agree with that. I'm with you on Slipper, Moore, Fardy, Hooper, To'omua and Folau but there's plenty of questions about the others.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
also, if To'omua does play 10 who would be our 12? whilst mccabe, lilo, inman, beale & godwin have all been good no one has really broken away from the pack in the 12 department. its cooper 12 To'omua 12 for me as well

Currently agree with this.

But there is still quite some time left of the super xv season. The 10. To'omua 12. Lealifano partnership would flourish for the rest of the reason, likewise a drop in form from Cooper could see things change quickly.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Currently agree with this.

But there is still quite some time left of the super xv season. The 10. To'omua 12. Lealifano partnership would flourish for the rest of the reason, likewise a drop in form from Cooper could see things change quickly.

We play France in 5 weeks, though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I doubt we'll see many surprises for the France series. I think most of the incumbents from the EOYT will remain and most of the new faces will be players returning from injury such as Higginbotham and Palu.

I'd be amazed if Cooper and To'omua weren't the 10 and 12. You can make all the arguments you like about To'omua being a better 10 this season than Cooper, but I think Link will have seen more than enough to think that this combination from last year should persist.

I reckon lock Slipper, Moore, Alexander, Fardy, Hooper, Cooper, To'omua, Folau into the starting XV.

Lock Horwill, Simmons, TPN, Kuridrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Genia, White, Cummins into the 23 (with all except TPN and one of White and Genia probably in the XV).

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I'd agree with pretty much all of those names for the 23. Kuridrani and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) might be an either/or situation at outside though. And I suspect it would be borderline impossible to justify starting 5 players from the Reds at this stage, barring a massive form reversal in the next few weeks. Horwill and Genia in particular look long odds.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd agree with pretty much all of those names for the 23. Kuridrani and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) might be an either/or situation at outside though. And I suspect it would be borderline impossible to justify starting 5 players from the Reds at this stage, barring a massive form reversal in the next few weeks. Horwill and Genia in particular look long odds.

I think Genia is in danger of losing his starting spot to White, but I don't think too much thought goes into how teams are performing. Good teams will generally get more players selected because teams that are winning have lots of players playing well. The Reds are struggling but are largely being carried by their Wallabies.

Unless Fardy is moved to lock, I think Horwill and Simmons will get the nod at lock against France.

If Kuridrani is picked at 13, I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will start on the wing. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is picked at 13, I think Kuridrani will be on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.