• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

shotball123

Frank Row (1)
Wallabies 30 man squad:

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Pyle
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. genia
10. Cooper
11. McCabe
12. Tamoa
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Cummins
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Ryan
18. Alexander
19. Douglas
20. Gill
21. White
22. Beale
23. Inman

Reserves:
24- S Fainga'a
25- Robinson
26- Simmons
27- Fardy
28- Foley
29- Lealiifano
30- T Kuridrani

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Wallabies 30 man squad:

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Pyle
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. genia
10. Cooper
11. McCabe
12. Tamoa
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Cummins
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Ryan
18. Alexander
19. Douglas
20. Gill
21. White
22. Beale
23. Inman

Reserves:
24- S Fainga'a
25- Robinson
26- Simmons
27- Fardy
28- Foley
29- Lealiifano
30- T Kuridrani

Some way off the mark imo.

Pyle (one of my favourites) won't be in the mix let alone in the starting 15. His form this year is way down and he's going overseas at the end of the season.

Fardy not in the game day 23. Unbelievable. He and Michael Hooper have been the consistently best Wallaby forwards for the last 12 months. Will start either at 4 or 6.

A matter of opinion, but Ben Alexander has been the standout THP in the Aus conference all year. Expect him to start over Kepu.

I might be wrong here, but doesn't Ryan also play THP. If so, you have nominated 3 THs and only one LH. In any case Sio to be in the 23.

Palu/Higgers to share the No 8, ie one starts and one on the bench.

How about To'omua at 12?

Unlikely for a second No7 to be on the bench - in the squad, yes, but Jones on the bench for me.

Despite his improvement this year, I can't see Inman in the 23. Christian Lealiifano or Tevita Kuridrani should be there, depending on which positions are to be covered. Actually, think Tevita might be in the 15 in place of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cummins or McCabe. Whomever he replaces should retain a bench spot.

Robinson will not be in the squad. If another 7 is needed, it will be Hodgeson before Robinson, bit I'd prefer to see Cottrell brought in.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Cummins
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Robinson
18. Kepu
19. Douglas
20. Higgers
21. White
22. Lealiifano
23. McCabe

Reserves:
24- Nathan Charles
25- Sio
26- McCalman
27- Gill
28- Foley
29- Mogg
30- Beale

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Cummins
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Robinson
18. Kepu
19. Douglas
20. Higgers
21. White
22. Lealiifano
23. McCabe

Reserves:
24- Nathan Charles
25- Sio
26- McCalman
27- Gill
28- Foley
29- Mogg
30- Beale

Not many arguments there, but on form I'd have Jones rather than Simmons. I know Rob is the incumbent, but I have not been impressed with his play this year at all, and Luke Jones really looks the goods (and would work fantastically in tandem with Scott Fardy imo).

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Drop Foley and replace him with Jones or Carter and I am happy with that side. Foley has been down on last year's form and with Cooper, To'omua, Lilo & Beale in the squad another 10 is superfluous.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good reading

THE STATS THAT MATTER — WALLABY NO. 8 CONTENDERS
Scott Higginbotham (Rebels): Tries — 2; Linebreaks — 4; Linebreak Assists — 0; Try Assists — 2; Tackle Busts — 10; Runs — 48 (avg 8); Run Metres 305 (Avg 50.8); Offloads — 4; Tackles — 39 (avg 6.5); Missed tackles — 3 (avg 0.5)
Ben McCalman (Force): Tries — 3; Linebreaks — 6; Linbreak Assists — 1; Try Assists — 0; Tackle Busts — 12; Runs — 59 (avg 11.8); Run Metres — 326 (avg 65.2); Offloads — 5; Tackles — 65 (avg 13); Missed tackles — 4 (avg 0.8)
Ben Mowen (Brumbies): Tries — 0; Linebreaks — 1; Linbreak Assists — 0; Try Assists — 1; Tackle Busts — 3; Runs — 42 (avg 6); Run Metres — 152 (avg 21.7); Offloads — 2; Tackles — 58 (avg 8.3); Missed tackles — 12 (avg 1.7)
Wycliff Palu (Waratahs): Tries — 0; Linebreaks — 0; Linbreak Assists — 1; Try Assists — 1; Tackle Busts — 6; Runs — 41 (avg 8.2); Run Metres — 223 (avg 44.6); Offloads — 10; Tackles — 33 (avg 6.6); Missed tackles — 2 (avg 0.4)
Jake Schatz (Reds): Tries — 0; Linebreaks — 0; Linebreak Assists — 0; Tackle busts — 1; Runs — 44 (avg 6.3); Run metres — 180 (avg 25.7); Offloads — 7; Tackles — 66 (avg 9.4); Missed tackles — 16 (avg 2.3)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not many arguments there, but on form I'd have Jones rather than Simmons. I know Rob is the incumbent, but I have not been impressed with his play this year at all, and Luke Jones really looks the goods (and would work fantastically in tandem with Scott Fardy imo).
Simmons was really good by the end of last season, and that is a rap from someone who thought he rubbish prior. He deserves his place and it still really early

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones in wider squad and getting time against France, there are 3 tests

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
On the THP side of things, Unless Link goes with the Kepu because his the incumbent I just can't see a case for him to be infront of Alexander ATM on form.. His been behind Ryan who's been poor albit his lately taken his spot back..

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Ok, the locking pecking order is:

Tighthead:
Horwill
Douglas
Carter
Skelton

Loosehead:
Simmons
Fardy
Pyle
Jones

shotball123

Frank Row (1)
Some way off the mark imo.

Pyle (one of my favourites) won't be in the mix let alone in the starting 15. His form this year is way down and he's going overseas at the end of the season.

Fardy not in the game day 23. Unbelievable. He and Michael Hooper have been the consistently best Wallaby forwards for the last 12 months. Will start either at 4 or 6.

A matter of opinion, but Ben Alexander has been the standout THP in the Aus conference all year. Expect him to start over Kepu.

I might be wrong here, but doesn't Ryan also play THP. If so, you have nominated 3 THs and only one LH. In any case Sio to be in the 23.

Palu/Higgers to share the No 8, ie one starts and one on the bench.

How about To'omua at 12?

Unlikely for a second No7 to be on the bench - in the squad, yes, but Jones on the bench for me.

Despite his improvement this year, I can't see Inman in the 23. Christian Lealiifano or Tevita Kuridrani should be there, depending on which positions are to be covered. Actually, think Tevita might be in the 15 in place of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cummins or McCabe. Whomever he replaces should retain a bench spot.

Robinson will not be in the squad. If another 7 is needed, it will be Hodgeson before Robinson, bit I'd prefer to see Cottrell brought in.

Wallabies 30 man squad:

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu (best scrummager at 3) main role of a prop is the scrum 2nd breakdown 3rd defence
4. Horwill
5. Fardy (instead of pyle) my mistake
6. Higgers (not natural 6 but needs to be starting)
7. Hooper
8. Palu (looking like the old palu and needs to be starting)
9. genia
10. Cooper
11. McCabe
12. Tamoa (played excellent outside quade at 12 in europe)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (best 13 in the country by a long shot)
14. Cummins
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Ryan (plays both 1 and 3)
18. Alexander (always struggles to scrum at international level eg last 5 yrs)
19. Douglas
20. Dennis??? unsure
21. White
22. Beale
23. Inman (Best defensive 12,13 in Aus and hes the biggest 12,13 in Aus Very good for crash ball and driving defence behind the advantage line)

Reserves:
24- S Fainga'a
25- (Ben) Robinson
26- Simmons
27- Gill
28- Foley
29- Lealiifano
30- T Kuridrani (cannot place a ball and has poor ball security, not as defensively sound as inman)

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Patty Ryan should not be in the test frame. From what I've observed he's a weak scrummager. He hasn't even been able to take advantage of the heavy pack behind him. As much as a loath Alexander, he is stronger in the scrum than Ryan. I'm hoping we see Palmer return next year as Tighthead is shaping as a weakness for us at the world cup. Kepu is a solid option, but behind him things get scary. Alexander gets dominated about every 3rd test.

Is there any other decent young Tightheads that are putting their hands up?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Cummins
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Robinson
18. Kepu
19. Douglas
20. Higgers
21. White
22. Lealiifano
23. McCabe

Reserves:
24- Nathan Charles
25- Sio
26- McCalman
27- Gill
28- Foley
29- Mogg
30- Beale

I pretty much agree with your selections, save for tighthead. I think Kepu has established himself as Links go to Tighthead

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

No way Jones should displace Simmons. Simmons is one of the hardest working forwards for the reds and he was one of the better forwards on the end of year tour. Also he's very strong in the line-out, especially defensively.

Reactions: TSR

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Link should be looking to manage Palu's work load over in test rugby this year. Perhaps play every 2nd game. I'd really like to see him around for the world cup.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Patty Ryan should not be in the test frame. From what I've observed he's a weak scrummager. He hasn't even been able to take advantage of the heavy pack behind him. As much as a loath Alexander, he is stronger in the scrum than Ryan. I'm hoping we see Palmer return next year as Tighthead is shaping as a weakness for us at the world cup. Kepu is a solid option, but behind him things get scary. Alexander gets dominated about every 3rd test.

Is there any other decent young Tightheads that are putting their hands up?

Due to a cronic foot injury he's hung up the books and going back to university.

Status
Not open for further replies.