• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaroos

Status
Not open for further replies.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'd like to see even more involvement from our bigger girls.

The above is a statement I made after the Wallaroos played NZ earlier this year. Last night we finally saw what our bigger girls can do. Hopefully the squad will reflect on this and #BRINGIT to the 5th place play-off match against Canada on Sunday morning. They'll need to.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
After last Saturday's debacle, I cannot say loud enough just how good it was to watch an Aussie team destroy another by smothering, fast line speed defence. Forget the last 15 mins, in that middle period, 15 minutes to 65 minutes, every time the Irish played through the pods they got smashed and every time they tossed it out the back they got corralled 15 metres behind the gain line. That was huge!

The attacking physicality was unbelievable. The runners in the pack just monstered the Irish in close and 13 just smashed her way through. Williams in 12 was very, very good.

We finally figured out you need a quality kicker and it made a huge difference to the team in terms of confidence.

On the down side our scrum was in trouble on our feed all match and got monstered from 65 mins on. Comments earlier in the thread about selection appear to have some merit on that display. The lineout was reasonable up to about 50 minutes, but after that it was awful.

As soon as we got to 27 in front the coach should have emptied the bench. We only had to win by one point to progress. What is obviously not well understood in the coaching ranks is that the type of game we play is physically more exhausting for the attacking team than the defensive team. Ireland came back in the last 15 and some of that was just the Aussies running out of petrol. And we've now got another game on a less than ideal turnaround against a team who had a really easy game. The adverse comments on our coaching set-up appear to have real merit.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If you are critiquing selection and coaching incompetence with the Wallaroos, I hope you're an equal opportunity complainer and putting the boot into Cheika, Grey and co.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If you are critiquing selection and coaching incompetence with the Wallaroos, I hope you're an equal opportunity complainer and putting the boot into Cheika, Grey and co.

Last Saturday night was so diabolical that I am trying to obliterate it from my memory. Thank you for bringing it back and setting my rehab back at least a week.

I genuinely enjoyed/ was excited by/ inspired by the Wallaroos game. They are not tier one; NZ, England and France are a long way ahead and I haven't seen the US. They have clear technical deficiencies, some of which I mentioned. But they play with verve and enjoyment and fire in the belly. They physically dominate. I cheered every minute of the game.

Maybe that's a reaction to Saturday, but I needed some kind of antidote!

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Wallaroos take on Canada on Sunday morning, kicking off at 2am AEST LIVE on FOX SPORTS.

An unchanged starting 15.

IN: Louise Burrows
OUT: Violeta Tupuola

Wallaroos:
1. Liz Patu – Queensland, Wests
2. Cheyenne Campbell – Queensland
3. Hilisha Samoa – Queensland, Brothers
4. Rebecca Clough – Western Australia, Cottesloe
5. Alisha Hewett – Australian Defence Force, Queensland
6. Millie Boyle – ACT, Canberra Royals
7. Chloe Butler – South Australia, Parramatta
8. Grace Hamilton – Sydney, Sydney University
9. Katrina Barker – NSW Country, Newcastle University
10. Ashleigh Hewson – Sydney, Sydney University
11. Mahalia Murphy – Australian Sevens, NSW, Campbeltown
12. Sharni Williams (C) – Australian Sevens, ACT, Canberra Royals
13. Sarah Riordan – Australian Defence Force, Victoria, Unicorns
14. Nareta Marsters – Queensland, Sunnybank
15. Samantha Treherne – Queensland, Sunnybank
16. Louise Burrows – ACT, Royals
17. Emily Robinson – Sydney, Warringah
18. Hana Ngaha – Queensland, Sunnybank
19. Mollie Gray – Australian Defence Force, NSW, Maitland
20. Kate Brown – ACT, Tuggeranong Vikings
21. Fenella Hake – Queensland, Redlands
22. Kayla Sauvao – Sydney, Parramatta
23. Trilleen Pomare – Western Australia, Wanneroo

Canada:
1. Carolyn McEwen, Burnaby Lake RFC (Vancouver, BC)
2. Laura Russell, Toronto Nomads/Cowichan RFC (Bolton, ON)
3. DaLeaka Menin, Calgary Hornets (Vulcan, AB)
4. Cindy Nelles, Belleville Bulldogs (Belleville, ON)
5. Latoya Blackwood, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue RFC/Westshore RFC (Montreal, QC (Quade Cooper))
6. Jacey Grusnick, Barrhaven Scottish (Alliston, ON)
7. Karen Paquin, Club de Rugby de Quebec/Castaway Wanderers (Quebec City, QC (Quade Cooper))
8. Kelly Russell, Captain, Toronto Nomads/Cowichan RFC (Bolton, ON)
9. Brianna Miller, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue RFC/Westshore RFC (Pointe-Claire, QC (Quade Cooper))
10. Alex Tessier, Montreal Barbarians (Sainte-Clotilde-de-Horton, QC (Quade Cooper))
11. Elissa Alarie, Vice Captain, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue RFC/Westshore RFC (Trois Rivieres, QC (Quade Cooper))
12. Emily Belchos, Westshore RFC (Innisfil, ON)
13. Amanda Thornborough, Westshore RFC (Brandon, MB)
14. Magali Harvey, Club de Rugby de Quebec (Quebec City, QC (Quade Cooper))
15. Julianne Zussman, Castaway Wanderers (Montreal, QC (Quade Cooper))
16. Jane Kirby, Highland Fergus Rugby Club (Brampton, ON)
17. Brittany Kassil, Guelph Redcoats (Guelph, ON)
18. Olivia DeMerchant, Woodstock Wildmen/Castaway Wanderers (Mapledale, NB)
19. Kayla Mack, Saskatoon Wild Oats (Saskatoon, SK)
20. Barbara Mervin, Westshore RFC (Peterborough, ON)
21. Chelsea Guthrie, Strathcona Druids (Edmonton, AB)
22. Andrea Burk, Capilano RFC (North Vancouver, BC)
23. Brittany Waters, Meraloma Athletic Club/Castaway Wanderers (Vancouver, BC)

Wallaroos will need to play the game of their lives against this very good Canada team. The Canadian captain is a very strong runner and their wingers pose flashing warning lights to the Wallaroos. A win in this match would be a massive upset but perhaps the girls can find something to give a great send off to retiring head coach Paul Verrell.

ARU article here

Rugby Canada article here.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Wallaroos will need to play the game of their lives against this very good Canada team. The Canadian captain is a very strong runner and their wingers pose flashing warning lights to the Wallaroos. A win in this match would be a massive upset but perhaps the girls can find something to give a great send off to retiring head coach Paul Verrell.

Indeed.

In the last match between these sides, the Aussies lost by 40. Reckon it will be closer this time.

And it could be the last match too for the Wallaroos for probably a year, or even more, going on the history of this team - which has only rarely been more than a part-time afterthought.

So, all in.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
HT Wallaroos 12 Canada 24
Two yellow cards against the Wallaroos have not helped the Australian cause as the Canadian women regrouped after being over-run by a rampant Wallaroos side in the early minutes. Sarah Riordan opened the scoring with a nice try adjacent to the sticks from the 14th phase.

The Wallaroos had resumed their direct physical style displayed in the previous match and were playing mistake free. But Canada struck back with a nicely taken try to their speedy fullback Zussman and it was 7-7 at the 12 minute mark.

A good smash over from close range to Wallaroo prop Liz Patu on 20 minutes saw the score go to 12-7.

Canada started to build pressure and scored in the 27th minute before lock Rebecca Clough was carded for a high tackle in the 30th minute, Canada scoring in the next minute. A card to Patu in the 37th minute compounded Australias woes and Canada took advantage to push the score to 24-12.

Aussies desparately needing to regroup at HT.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
FT Wallaroos 12 Canada 43
Discipline and ball control were key factors in the Wallaroos' loss today but full credit to the very good Canada team who were able to lift their tempo when the pressure was on in the first half and went on to display a good brand of Rugby to score 7 tries today.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ Apparently they're not "curtain raisers" but the first match of a double header. I think that's a tad disingenuous, a proper double header would be two matches capable of drawing roughly the same crowd & let's face it 'Roos v Ferns on its own would draw maybe 5-10K, it's the Wobs v AB who (we hope :)) drag the other 40K in through the gate.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
DbqvTBrVMAAmrS2.jpg:large

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^^^^^ Apparently they're not "curtain raisers" but the first match of a double header. I think that's a tad disingenuous, a proper double header would be two matches capable of drawing roughly the same crowd & let's face it 'Roos v Ferns on its own would draw maybe 5-10K, it's the Wobs v AB who (we hope :)) drag the other 40K in through the gate.

40k kiwis.

Status
Not open for further replies.