• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaroos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
What a Great game of rugby this was. Unfortunately that our scrum didn't get more penalties or tighthesds that it deserved. I wish our mens forwards could get over the advantage line with their carries like these girls do. I think there was a good home advantage for the Irish girls as well. It was definately a difference.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
With better kicking we win the game. Probably the better side. got robbed at the end when he called a knock on from us when it was clearly knocked backwards by Ireland and into touch.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Surely that wasn't our best kicker in the squad. Her technique was all over the place. Once again Australian coaches have been taught you must have a reliable kicker as a starter and a finisher. When will we learn?
Yes this is why I commented that I'd be surprised if Ash Hewson doesn't return to the starting lineup. Not only is she the most-capped player in this squad, she is the best goal kicker. Not denigrating Treherne as she brings a bit of extra pace but surely no international team can go into an important match without their best goal kicker.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Probably the better side.
Ireland were off their game a bit (some of that can be put down to the relentless Wallaroo defence) but the Wallaroos played quite well, other than a couple of scrums and the half dozen or so atrocious lineouts. The Aussie defence was very good (with the exception of the soft try gifted to the Irish half back). Plenty for the team to build on.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Ireland were off their game a bit (some of that can be put down to the relentless Wallaroo defence) but the Wallaroos played quite well, other than a couple of scrums and the half dozen or so atrocious lineouts. The Aussie defence was very good (with the exception of the soft try gifted to the Irish half back). Plenty for the team to build on.
I thought Australia looked very good in the scrum for most the game. Ireland were pushing early in most scrums and got away with it. The line outs were so bad. It was the Aussies game to win that's for sure

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The hands in the Murphy try was better than most we have seen from the men! I wonder if Williams cold solve our 12 issues???

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I enjoyed the game, skill level wasn't too high, but not too bad. I was pretty impressed with the Irish openside, she seemed to play over the ball well, but liked what I saw from the Wallaroos in general. Was definitely worth the watch, have to say it helped having Mel Robinson as one of the commentary team, I find her a knowledgeable and interesting commentor. All in all will have no probs watching more of the tournament, and for a grizzly bastard like me that isn't a fan of women's rugby it saying something!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Very impressed by our number 8. As I have said elsewhere, I do hope the Wobbs watch this game. Apart from anything else, the Irish get a lot more competitive rugby than our players.

Bad boy

Frank Nicholson (4)
OK they just announced the team to play France...guess what.... ONLY 1 SYDNEY GIRL in run on side after Sydney has won the past 3 National Champs by 30+. They lost to Ireland because they didn't have a goal kicker and Ash Hewson who was on the bench and has Captained the Sydney side for last three years and is easily the best goal kicker in the team would have easily slotted those goals. NOW AGAINST FRANCE THEY PICK ONE SYDNEY PLAYER...DESPITE HOW WELL THEY MIGHT HAVE PLAYED AGAINST IRELAND THE TEAM SELECTED IS NOWHERE NEAR OUR BEST TEAM...SELECTORS AND COACHING STAFF WAKE UP!!. Scott Allen (assistant coach) we know you are a Queenslander and we know your always on Twitter BUT those Queensland girls are not the best they have failed to make National finals three years running, their scrum went backwards at Nationals (not just this year but for the past three with the same people you have picked for our National team) so why the hell is the whole front row Queenslanders?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know this is a Wallaroo's thread, and I enjoyed watching them play, but finally caught up with the NZ/Wales game and by geez I bit impressed with tyhe skills of the Kiwi girls too, love it when I see players that can pass so well from left to right at pace etc. Seems women's rugby is not too bad!

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I know this is a Wallaroo's thread, and I enjoyed watching them play, but finally caught up with the NZ/Wales game and by geez I bit impressed with tyhe skills of the Kiwi girls too, love it when I see players that can pass so well from left to right at pace etc. Seems women's rugby is not too bad!
The top women's teams are generally fun to watch. There is very little cynical play and nearly always a lot of smiles.

England, NZ, Canada, France and Ireland could all be considered genuine chances to win this tournament but I still think England are the most likely team to lift the trophy.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
OK they just announced the team to play France.guess what.. ONLY 1 SYDNEY GIRL in run on side after Sydney has won the past 3 National Champs by 30+. They lost to Ireland because they didn't have a goal kicker and Ash Hewson who was on the bench and has Captained the Sydney side for last three years and is easily the best goal kicker in the team would have easily slotted those goals. NOW AGAINST FRANCE THEY PICK ONE SYDNEY PLAYER.DESPITE HOW WELL THEY MIGHT HAVE PLAYED AGAINST IRELAND THE TEAM SELECTED IS NOWHERE NEAR OUR BEST TEAM.SELECTORS AND COACHING STAFF WAKE UP!!. Scott Allen (assistant coach) we know you are a Queenslander and we know your always on Twitter BUT those Queensland girls are not the best they have failed to make National finals three years running, their scrum went backwards at Nationals (not just this year but for the past three with the same people you have picked for our National team) so why the hell is the whole front row Queenslanders?
I can understand where you're coming from with these comments but to some extent the coaches have been dealt some difficult cards with unlucky injuries to key players e.g. Hewson means they lose experience and a goalkicker and Victoria Latu being injured before the tour means they lost a dynamic hard-running and hard-hitting number 8 (but I thought Grace Hamilton played well at 8). Both Hewson and Latu are from Sydney, not that this should concern the coaches. Oh, by the way, Chloe Butler is actually a Parramatta girl who due to personal circumstances this year played for South Australia in the nationals but I can assure you Chloe is definitely from Sydney. Tough game v France coming up.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes this is why I commented that I'd be surprised if Ash Hewson doesn't return to the starting lineup. Not only is she the most-capped player in this squad, she is the best goal kicker. Not denigrating Treherne as she brings a bit of extra pace but surely no international team can go into an important match without their best goal kicker.

Yes two areas that lost wallaroos the game...the scrum and the kicking for goal. As just how costly was missing that goal pretty much in front of the sticks..

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes two areas that lost wallaroos the game.the scrum and the kicking for goal. As just how costly was missing that goal pretty much in front of the sticks..
Add the appalling stat that the tall Irish lock stole 5 of the Wallaroo throws - totalling up 59%-41% territorial and possession advantages.

Other interesting stats:
  • Number 8 Grace Hamilton carried over the gain line 11 times
  • captain and flanker Shannon Parry completed 24 tackles and lock Chloe Butler completed 23

Bad boy

Frank Nicholson (4)
I can understand where you're coming from with these comments but to some extent the coaches have been dealt some difficult cards with unlucky injuries to key players e.g. Hewson means they lose experience and a goalkicker and Victoria Latu being injured before the tour means they lost a dynamic hard-running and hard-hitting number 8 (but I thought Grace Hamilton played well at 8). Both Hewson and Latu are from Sydney, not that this should concern the coaches. Oh, by the way, Chloe Butler is actually a Parramatta girl who due to personal circumstances this year played for South Australia in the nationals but I can assure you Chloe is definitely from Sydney. Tough game v France coming up.

Understand about Latu (big loss) but Hewson wasn't injured against Ireland and would have kicked those goals. The domination of Sydney in the Nationals mean't they should have had some of their "spine" 2,8,9,10 considered. In the Nationals one of the reasons why Sydney keep winning is the decision making by these players. WA had Sydney under the pump half way through the second half at Nationals but their 9 and 10 made some very poor decisions. Queensland had ACT under the pump also yet their decision makers were appalling in the last three pool games against ACT which gave ACT entry into the final. YOU HAVE TO BE PICKED ON FORM. Chloe Butler is great and a real work horse. The Sydney team that toured NZ last year was much stronger (I believe but even if you don't they were close yet only one from that team selected) and worked more as a team than these girls. The Sydney grand final in 2016 had some very strong Parramatta girls and one of the toughest girls games I have ever seen yet little or no representation.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Unsurprisingly, France monstered the Wallaroos in today's match winning 48-0 (8 tries) in an emphatic statement that they are at the WRWC with an undeniable chance. The upcoming match IRE v FRA will be enthralling.

The French pack didn't seem to have any weakness (although there may be some opportunites to attack their throw at the lineout). Their mauling was impressive and I liked the look of their 12 who showed good hands, good vision and decent pace.

Significant stats:

Clean breaks 13-1
Offloads 16-2

A gulf between the teams today.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
How embarrassing. Sack the coach. They played so slow. they had quick ball but just let it sit there and do nothing. The tip tackle yellow was a joke. Didn't even go beyond the horizontal but like it would of matterd. So shit

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
How embarrassing. Sack the coach. They played so slow. they had quick ball but just let it sit there and do nothing. The tip tackle yellow was a joke. Didn't even go beyond the horizontal but like it would of matterd. So shit

Their lack of meaningful prep can't help. Trying to compete against teams part of a six nation comp and NZ with a fully fledged domestic comp.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.