• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratah Shield/Cup 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Waratah Shield.jpg

Shrouded in more secrecy than the whereabouts of Richie McCaw's Cloak of Invisibility, things are apparently well underway for Waratah Shield 2015 version with a Gaggerlander posting that "Oakhill have a Waratah Shield game on Tuesday at 1pm against a school from Canberra".

Nothing on the NSW Schools RU or NSW RU website and my trusted advisor, Mr Google Search-Engine, is likewise revealing nothing.

While there was a bit of a departure from the traditional knockout format for the 2014 Waratah Shield competition, these posts from the 2014 Waratah Shield Thread probably remain relevant to kick off the 2015 wang.

The pre season trials have been a source of some cross-conference debate. Though these matches mayprovide some indicator of team performance, there is always the fact that these are trials, early season and unsettled. The Waratah Shield should be a forum to help decide some of the debates carried on in this place. Unfortunately it appears to be ignored by some of the bigger rugby playing schools in NSW
The Waratah Shield is open to all schools in NSW. The schools with a less established rugby culture or that are not a part of the three (or four counting the ACT ) rugby playing associations, can gain entry to the shield through reaching the Waratah cup final. a great way of quarantining teams from significant blow-outs
I am sure there has been games organised for these competitions, but the information for those outside the circle is, as usual scant.
Hopefully there won't be as many forfeits or buys this year

Hopefully some of you that know what is going on will be able to share their information here

Looking into my crystal ball, I'll suggest the following:

1. State sports high schools (except Narrabeen) will enter

2. Most ISA div 1 schools will enter

3. The equivalent Canberra private rugby schools will enter

4. Very few state comprehensive high schools will enter

5. Very few (if any) systemic catholic schools will enter

6. As soon as a school in categories 4 or 5 run into a school in categories 1, 2 or 3 they will forfeit

7. A good spread of state comprehensives will enter the Waratah Cup

8. Waratah Cup qualifiers will lose as soon as they go into the main Shield draw

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
I noticed another poster backing St Edies as shield aspirants .......when and who are they playing?
Has the St Pats v High match happened?
Are Knox playing this year?........ All of it?
Where are the other usual suspects
Are they continuing with the pool format used last year?
Beasts Gryllid are deafening

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)

don't tell anyone
waratah shield match on today westfield Sports v Augies
westfield have a lot of league rep players I would assume Parramatta
Augies have inherited a reputation and this cohort have a lot to do to prove they deserve it

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
The secrete is out
"St.Pats played High during the week for a Waratahs Shield match and won by 30-40,"
from the ISA Thread
sTILL not sure of the format this year

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The secrete is out
"St.Pats played High during the week for a Waratahs Shield match and won by 30-40,"
from the ISA Thread
sTILL not sure of the format this year

It's a round robin of some description. Don't know how many pools or how many in each pool.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Perhaps the lack of a draw or information suggests the value placed on the competition by the ARU. Is the shield not organized by a group of dedicated guys without much support?

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
Hunter Valley Grammar School won the Hunter leg of the Waratah Cup yesterday and I think will now progress to play off with North Coast sides for a spot in Sydney.

Deerhunter007

Frank Nicholson (4)
Farrer are hosting Stannies at Tamworth Wednesday 3/6/15 rd 2 of Waratah Shield. Big road trip for the boys from Bathurst. Stannies made it to the semi final last year and lost after the hooter against Oakhill in a game for the ages. With the majority of that team still intact from last season they will be keen for an impressive start to their campaigne this year.

torps77

Stan Wickham (3)
WARATAH SHIELD DRAW POOLS
Pool A
St Augustine’s College
Westfields Sports HS
Marist College ACT

Pool B
St Stanislaus
Hunter Sports HS
Farrer Ag HS

Pool C
St Edmunds
St Patricks Strathfield
Sydney Boys HS

Pool D
Oakhill College
Hills Sports HS
Daramarlan College

Top 2 each pool QF and so on

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
St Edmunds have been winning their matches in the ACT comp quite well, I wonder if they will be able to spoil the ISA party

Are the quarter finals A v B
and C v D

pilot

Allen Oxlade (6)
1/4 Finals before 23 JulyQF1. Winner Pool A vs Runner Up Pool BQF2. Winner Pool B vs Runner Up Pool A QF3. Winner Pool C vs Runner Up Pool DQF4. Winner Pool D vs Runner Up Pool C
If things go to plan appears Stannies will get another crack at Augies in the SF.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Wow - the day I see Marist forfeiting 2 let alone 1 rugby matches (and the waratah shield to boot) , man whats happening in ACT rugby - Ihad read about the perils but didnt realise it was this bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.