• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Rebels defence, especially in the first half, was caught short a lot. The Tahs competed a lot better at the breakdown, slowed down the ball more, and had a better defensive structure, so when they missed a tackle, it wasn't so important that a guy could get a clean break.

Paddy Ryan is only 23, which is still young for a prop.

Interesting that excuses are still made for Props in Oz. This weekend saw a 19 year old debut for the Chiefs and absolutely smash it, add in the Franks brothers and numerous other examples from around the workd. Yes I know some props get better with age but in general I am starting to think that this is by and large another myth. My concern with Ryan is 1. he looks shockingly out of condition (one for Bruce) and 2. a few of the penalties he has conceded in the last two weeks have been for stupid discipline issues like failing to bind after being warned (and the fact that this has been a Ref focus for two years) and entering the ruck from behind the opposition's last feet.

Now on the Rebels defensive issues I saw one glaring area where I think massive improvements will be made. Chamberlain. I wasn't impressed. I think Saffy will make a very big difference here.

I actualy hope to see Lala Lam take over from Alcock at 7 for the Tahs. I do not like a 7 that misses as many tackles at Alcock. He carries very well but there are holes wherever he is defending.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Interesting that excuses are still made for Props in Oz. This weekend saw a 19 year old debut for the Chiefs and absolutely smash it, add in the Franks brothers and numerous other examples from around the workd. Yes I know some props get better with age but in general I am starting to think that this is by and large another myth.
Agreed

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I actualy hope to see Lala Lam take over from Alcock at 7 for the Tahs. I do not like a 7 that misses as many tackles at Alcock. He carries very well but there are holes wherever he is defending.

Agree with this, but it's not just the missed tackles. He's a strong carrier, but doesn't seem a natural linkman or fetcher. It's like having another strong ball carrier who gets around the field a lot (albeit missing a fair share of tackles), but he doesn't provide what is normally expected from a seven.

Reactions: BPC

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Let's hope TPN stays fit or else we're toast. Ulugia had an impressive game for the Tahs A, he led the Tahs in the physicality department and scrummaged very well. He plays a very tight game and should be good off the bench.

I think Ulugia has proved himself capable of playing at the Super level, so we won't be toast if TPN goes down unless its a serious, long term injury. The key issue now is to find someone to bring into the squad so we can bring someone new into the EPS. It would be nice to see some older guy who has played Shute for years but never got the chance to step up rather than a 19 y.o. Waratah front rowers have to be able to scrummage, unlike some other provinces I won't mention.

Agree with this, but it's not just the missed tackles. He's a strong carrier, but doesn't seem a natural linkman or fetcher. It's like having another strong ball carrier who gets around the field a lot (albeit missing a fair share of tackles), but he doesn't provide what is normally expected from a seven.

As we have said before, Alcock has defensive issues. Cutch last year went missing A LOT. IMO we should muddle through with Alcock and Jenkins till Cutch returns. I like Jenkins as a defensive unit, although he didn't play that well this week. Had he been on the field last week I suspect that we might have got the chocolates. Give Jenkins 20 minutes every week to see where he's at and when Cutch gets back and has played a couple of games make a decision then on whether to bypass Alcock or not and whether we need to bring on Seilala Lam. If Alcock improves, he gets the spot. If Cutch performs like he did in the Shute GF then he's obviously our man. And if Jenkins and/or Lam outplay them, bite the bullet and pick them instead. Form is everything in this comp.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm still not sure on how the contractual tiers all work, but if McCutcheon and Alcock are both fit does M. Foley have the luxury of being able to select either Lam or Jenkins ahead of them?

I thought EPS players could only be utilised in cases of injury, and not in cases of underperformance. Although I would be quite happy to learn otherwise.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Putting this here rather than the game thread because it seems like a macro question to me. I don't understand why 10. Barnes 12. Carter and Halangahu onto the bench isn't the obvious choice. Surely -- surely -- this is just typical crap reporting from SMH or foxing by Foley. After all, Grumbles writes today that Cooper isn't a certainty take the flyhalf spot from Harris.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...barnes-nears-full-fitness-20120304-1ub62.html

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Ian Payten said in the Tele that Berrick was in lone to play 15, but B Foley's form has scuttled the idea. I agree that hangers should go back to the bench - the highlanders will play a tighter defensive game than either the reds or rebels, and I think Berrick/Carter at 10/12 will suit it better.

in other bad news, it looks like cutch may be back this week, and will surely get parachuted into the starting team. Call me crazy, but agaist the highlanders I'd start Jenkins (subject to Grover's comments above).

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would start Barnes at 10 if he is fit. If MoFo is struggling at 15, then he and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can always just swap around mid game.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Look on the bright side, Foley 15 Barnes 12 Hangers 10. There will be two good playmakers on the park for the Tahs and a tradesman to provide the depth. This would provide the most attacking Tahs backline available (perhaps this for all year after looking at the preceeding posts) given the current injury status.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Ian Payten said in the Tele that Berrick was in lone to play 15, but B Foley's form has scuttled the idea.

Not a fan of this idea at all so thank God that B-Fo is playing well enough to prevent such a blunder. Hangers is a serviceable backup and -- except for on his best days -- that's about it. Surely the last seven years have taught us that much.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Info from the Tahs media unit

Pat McCutcheon (calf) and Berrick Barnes (groin) took part in running sessions on Sunday. Both will see Waratahs Rugby doctor Sharron Flahive Monday when a decision will be made on their fitness and availability for selection this week.

Sitaleki Timani will rejoin the program later this week.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'll be interested to see if Sitaleki comes on at all this year. Lot of potential, I hope some of it is realised. Good to see Cutch back in the mix.

P

Paradox

fatprop said:
And some wonder why he is moving .................................

Wallabies star Adam Ashley-Cooper has been shunted to the wing as the Brumbies get set for the Highlanders​
AAP​
March 31, 2011 10:04AM​
Wallabies star Adam Ashley-Cooper has been shunted to the wing as the Brumbies attempt to get their Super Rugby season back on track.​
Versatile Ashley-Cooper, who has announced he's joining the NSW Waratahs next year, will be filling his third position this season in the Invercargill match.​
He played fullback last week in the narrow loss the Waratahs and outside centre for earlier matches, where he struggled to make his usual impact.​
The Brumbies have struggled to a 1-4 record, their worst start to a season.​
To'omua, normally a five-eighth, comes from the bench for his first start of the season and gets a chance to prove himself at No.15.​
Winger Francis Fainifo is the man to make way for Ashley-Cooper, and goes to the bench against the Highlanders, who are placed third in the New Zealand conference.​
In other changes, Salesi Ma'afu gets his first start at tighthead prop with Dan Palmer moving back to the bench.​
Peter Kimlin moves into the starting team as blindside flanker in place of rookie Colby Fainga'a, who has re-signed with the Brumbies for another two years.​
Brumbies team: Matt To'omua, Henry Speight, Andrew Smith, Christian Lealiifano, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Matt Giteau, Josh Valentine, Ita Vaea, Julian Salvi, Peter Kimlin, Mark Chisholm, Ben Hand, Salesi Maafu, Huia Edmonds, Ben Alexander. Reserves: Anthony Hegarty, Dan Palmer, Colby Fainga'a, Michael Hooper, Patrick Phibbs, Tyrone Smith, Franky Fainifo.​

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Now on the Rebels defensive issues I saw one glaring area where I think massive improvements will be made. Chamberlain. I wasn't impressed. I think Saffy will make a very big difference here.

Chamberlain led the tackle count with 18, he put in.
Alcock only missed on tackle, in his 7 with another one ineffective
http://www.rugbystats.com.au/matches/rugby/match14696.html

Biggest concern is Horne so far, missing tackles and his attack involvement has been average

Status
Not open for further replies.