• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Mitchell out for the rest of the Super Rugby season, and will also miss the June tests...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/blow-for-waratahs-as-mitchell-out-for-four-months-20120315-1v7ri.html[/quote]

Given the nature of his injury and the fact that it does not appear to be healing properly, it might be wise to assume he will be out till 2013.

Devastating news for Mitchell, but also for Tah fans. To lose both your gun wingers to injury for the whole season is absolutely devastating. I regard Mitchell as more of a strike force for the Tahs than Ioane is for the Reds.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Given the nature of his injury and the fact that it does not appear to be healing properly, it might be wise to assume he will be out till 2013.

Devastating news for Mitchell, but also for Tah fans. To lose both your gun wingers to injury for the whole season is absolutely devastating. I regard Mitchell as more of a strike force for the Tahs than Ioane is for the Reds.

I agree. Ioane's ball handling/security, passing, and sensing when to pass and when to hold, and general kicking from hand are IMO inferior to Mitchell's (comparing both over a period of games). Ioane is a wonderful line and tackle breaker, and angle-of-running-attack winger, but he's far from a 'complete' masterclass winger in all aspects of the ideal winger's tool box. His particular brilliance and great attacking courage masks finer problems he's more or less always had.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I will not re-post my post from last year - The Tragedy of the Tahs.

No I will restate the key issues from that post which remain relevant:-
1. Skills execution is woefull. How many times do the basic skills like catch and pass, support running and kicking from hand fail to be executed with a level of skill appropriate to a Super level player? I can accept that every player will have a shitty game of a bad kick but this pattern has been going on at the Tahs for years.
2. Decision making. How many times do we have to see the Tahs aimlessly kick the ball away. If the Tahs coaches think that fans are really calling for an end to all kicking ala the Brumbies last year, they really are f...wits. A well executed kick is a pleasure to watch, seeing your team kick the ball to the opposition wings and fullback 20 times a match and then in positions which can result in no pressure on them is just plain stupid and doesn't even cut it at 3rd grade level.
3. Selection/recruitment - some very poor decision have been made. Vickerman and Elsom tied up funds that could have been used to bring in youth and enthusiasm and I will add the loss of Mowen again. Continued selection of Halangahu as starting 10 even after 4 years of seeing that he rarely plays at a high enough level to warrant the starting position and the fact that he is in all areas limitted. Valid arguments can be made to start Hangers in thefirst games when Barnes was injured and Foley so new. Now that Barnes is back Foley should have been selected at 10 and Hangers dropped from the 15.
4. Attitude - again this year we have seen that the Tahs do not play to win. They play not to lose. Nothing epitomises this attitude more than Halangahu's decisions to kick for the posts whilst leading with 20 to go. Against the Force they should have been looking for the 4 try bonus points, but the attitude appeared to be to ensure the win only. The thing is with the Tahs this attitude does not translate into wins because they invariably get beaten in the last 15 minutes as they go into their shell in the apparent belief that they have done enough to win the game. If anybody dounts this just add up the losses the Tahs have created in the last 15 minutes of games over the last 3 years.

Well IMO this season is over for the Tahs. They will not make the semis I am predicting and I believe that the Rebels may well beat them next week as they have a forward pack that can match the the Tahs and a backline line that is IMO better than that fielded by the Tahs.

C

chriss555

I will not re-post my post from last year - The Tragedy of the Tahs.

No I will restate the key issues from that post which remain relevant:-
1. Skills execution is woefull. How many times do the basic skills like catch and pass, support running and kicking from hand fail to be executed with a level of skill appropriate to a Super level player? I can accept that every player will have a shitty game of a bad kick but this pattern has been going on at the Tahs for years.
2. Decision making. How many times do we have to see the Tahs aimlessly kick the ball away. If the Tahs coaches think that fans are really calling for an end to all kicking ala the Brumbies last year, they really are f...wits. A well executed kick is a pleasure to watch, seeing your team kick the ball to the opposition wings and fullback 20 times a match and then in positions which can result in no pressure on them is just plain stupid and doesn't even cut it at 3rd grade level.
3. Selection/recruitment - some very poor decision have been made. Vickerman and Elsom tied up funds that could have been used to bring in youth and enthusiasm and I will add the loss of Mowen again. Continued selection of Halangahu as starting 10 even after 4 years of seeing that he rarely plays at a high enough level to warrant the starting position and the fact that he is in all areas limitted. Valid arguments can be made to start Hangers in thefirst games when Barnes was injured and Foley so new. Now that Barnes is back Foley should have been selected at 10 and Hangers dropped from the 15.
4. Attitude - again this year we have seen that the Tahs do not play to win. They play not to lose. Nothing epitomises this attitude more than Halangahu's decisions to kick for the posts whilst leading with 20 to go. Against the Force they should have been looking for the 4 try bonus points, but the attitude appeared to be to ensure the win only. The thing is with the Tahs this attitude does not translate into wins because they invariably get beaten in the last 15 minutes as they go into their shell in the apparent belief that they have done enough to win the game. If anybody dounts this just add up the losses the Tahs have created in the last 15 minutes of games over the last 3 years.

Well IMO this season is over for the Tahs. They will not make the semis I am predicting and I believe that the Rebels may well beat them next week as they have a forward pack that can match the the Tahs and a backline line that is IMO better than that fielded by the Tahs.

On the money

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We will smash the Sharks, it's a one off thing. That's pretty clear (Cheetahs last year). That's not to say everything's ok, we need to find out why this keeps happening, round 4 once again... I'm being serious, maybe match fixing should be looked at.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It will probably be the one game they put together all season, flatter to deceive for a few weeks grace, then return to the status quo.

Reactions: BPC

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry Qwerty, the standard of play in the Oz conference so far this year in comparision to that exhibited by the NZ and SA sides is poor. Not in effort just in basic skills and intelligence. The Stormers and Sharks have played very well, winning or losing as have all the NZ sides (except the poorly disciplined Hurricanes on tour).

I despair about the direction of Australian Rugby. At one time we were the pace setters and were widely admired for the smart Rugby we played at all levels. Now just look at the kicking as perhaps the most obvious example, all our sides except the Reds do it, they kick aimlessly. Very few if any kicks find touch in a manner to pressure the opposition, the kick returns invariably get fielded by opposition players on the full and either returned by a well executed kick or effective counter. This occurs simply because the placement of the first kick was woeful so that little or no effective pressure could be brought to bare on the player fielding the kick.

I don't subscribe to the lack of intensity argument of Plumtree, but if he argued that the basic standard of play was less, well it would be very hard to argue. I would say that the Reds have a problem in playing to the level of their opposition and I think you will see that tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.