• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would prefer to see a guy like Scott Sio get that last prop spot than Dunning, we have Two quality props in Robinson & Kepu, two quality props building experience in Ryan & Tilse, stick Sio in as a good looking young prop looks a better balance to me for the future than bringing in a guy who is admittedly a good S15 prop, but didn't play that much this season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would prefer to see a guy like Scott Sio get that last prop spot than Dunning, we have Two quality props in Robinson & Kepu, two quality props building experience in Ryan & Tilse, stick Sio in as a good looking young prop looks a better balance to me for the future than bringing in a guy who is admittedly a good S15 prop, but didn't play that much this season.

Sio is still only 19. He'd be one of the development players still surely. I think he is an excellent prospect, but I don't know that he is ready for a full time Super Rugby contract.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Recent events in Shute (the Manly v Uni game) now have me very concerned that Ryan and Tilse are not up to Super standard. The Uni front row was completely owned in that game by a front row that was not as good as most Super front rows. Based on that, it seems to me that we have more need for a proven front rower who can be first reserve than either of those two. If Sio replaced Tilse I guess you could fit him in but right now Dunning off the bench looks way stronger than anything else we've potentially got.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Considering we had Robinson, Baxter and Kepu in 2011 and very rarely had all three available, I think we need another experienced campaigner.

Slotting in either Tilse or Ryan as our number three would be a significant step backwards.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Was captain too.

Sio is still only 19. He'd be one of the development players still surely. I think he is an excellent prospect, but I don't know that he is ready for a full time Super Rugby contract.

Yeah - turns 20 in October. Too young to get a full contract and arguably too young to get a rookie contract also because rookies are expected to be able to start a game if there are two injuries in their spot. The good thing about having Ulugia is that he can prop at LHP (which Scotty is) if TPN and Fitzy are healthy; so a rookie prop could probably be countenanced.

When I saw Scott for the first time in school rep games he showed the mobility of a backrower, which he had been, as I found out later. He was a big lad and I formed a wish that he be put on a path that TPN followed - school backrow to pro hooker. I still hanker for that metamorphosis even though the last time I saw him scrummage, in the TV game for Norths v. Randwick (IIRR), he looked bloody fine for a teenager.

At 187cms and 116kg he has the right physique to be a pro LHP or hooker. I'd like to see him nurtured under Foley, who of all people would see the possibility of his playing hooker, but no doubt others would have him pencilled in as a player of interest.

PS - I find it difficult to know if journos or coaches are talking about rookie spots or full contract spots half the time without doing a full reconciliation of the whole squad - and when you think you have it nailed you find out they were talking about a pro academy spot.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Recent events in Shute (the Manly v Uni game) now have me very concerned that Ryan and Tilse are not up to Super standard. The Uni front row was completely owned in that game by a front row that was not as good as most Super front rows.

I noticed that too but also noticed that Manly got the hit, sometimes spuriously. Getting the hit right is a pack thing, not an individual thing and full credit to Manly for getting the nod on the matter.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I noticed that too but also noticed that Manly got the hit, sometimes spuriously. Getting the hit right is a pack thing, not an individual thing and full credit to Manly for getting the nod on the matter.

Hit or no hit Lee, the Uni scrum was awful! I couldn't believe what my television was telling me. Haven't heard from Bruce or Topo on the forum for a while, both of them are probably too distraught to post.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Confirmed that Bernard Foley and Greg Peterson have signed 2 year deals with the Tahs.

No doubt the first year of Peterson's deal would be a rookie contract and the second a full contract. B. Foley's would be a full contract for 2 years because he played Super Rugby this year.

Cyril Towers (30)
Don't know where Bruce is but I'm in Italy and there's not much Shute Shield coverage over here. I know Ryan sustained an injury in that game that didn't help and they lost Ben Roberts just before the game which would hve upset their scrum a bit. Wait until the end of the season before you write off the Uni scrum.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Tilse, Ryan, Mumm, Dennis, Waugh, McCutcheon, Vickerman, Jenkins, Davidson should be able to hold their own at any time of the year. This is even more obvious when you consider how long these combinations have worked together. Also wheres' Jerry?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Confirmed that Bernard Foley and Greg Peterson have signed 2 year deals with the Tahs.

No doubt the first year of Peterson's deal would be a rookie contract and the second a full contract. B. Foley's would be a full contract for 2 years because he played Super Rugby this year.

played (just a single game?) but not contracted right? Does playing one game eliminate him from a chance of a rookie contract?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
played (just a single game?) but not contracted right? Does playing one game eliminate him from a chance of a rookie contract?

I thought you had to play three games to get guaranteed access to a full contract. But there's a lot of conflicting opinions out there without much actual information (mine included).

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I would imagine that the Tahs are keen to sign Foley up the right way. He's an exciting prospect, if still raw, and it would be a mistake not to make the investment in a real contract.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agreed. There is surely a bit of a let's not let another team sign him mentality behind the Foley contract.

I've only seen Greg Peterson play one game for Manly but he certainly looks promising. 206cm is fairly imposing!

Status
Not open for further replies.