• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah, unless BOD values playing a harder level of rugby (in his opinion) more often with an older and regularly injured body for less money I can't see him making this decision.

Save the marquee spot for Todd Clever or something, that dude simply should be playing Super rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I thought this seemed a bit tough on Pretorious:
The recruitment of South African halfback Sarel Pretorius as a marquee player was one of many black marks in the Waratahs' past season. But Cheika said the bad experience with Pretorius would not influence the Waratahs' thinking and that O'Driscoll's signing remained a possibility.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/cheika-will-not-rule-out-recruiting-odriscoll-20121017-27qqw.html#ixzz29XW03ZN9

Isnt June a bit late for O'Driscoll to be coming down?
O'Driscoll's contract ends next June and he enticingly suggested he could join NSW after the Lions tour, saying "'Cheiks' has my number, so if he wants to get me he can give me a call".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/cheika-will-not-rule-out-recruiting-odriscoll-20121017-27qqw.html#ixzz29XWYxuc3

I'd love to see him here - he seems like a thoroughly good bloke and he's got a certain style about him. i would think he would be great for the Tahs in many ways - not just on the pitch.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
I thought this seemed a bit tough on Pretorious:

Isnt June a bit late for O'Driscoll to be coming down?

I'd love to see him here - he seems like a thoroughly good bloke and he's got a certain style about him. i would think he would be great for the Tahs in many ways - not just on the pitch.

Quick make him off field captain like Rocky E

Antony

Alex Ross (28)

It would be an incredible signing. He doesn't do those ridiculously awesome self-passes and stuff any more, but he's still one of those players who make everyone around them look better.

And, as one of the most popular rugby players in the world, the crowd might even stop booing their own team.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Looks like they got off to a good start on the stairs today.

Is that current? One of them looks like Barnes, and surely he can't do stair runs with a punctured lung? Particularly since he was really smashing it out.

T

tranquility

I dont like this one bit. A coach who is willing to lead by example and earn the respect of the team. The Waratahs may actually become a cohesive unit. Shudder at the thought.

art-B13-20Lockie-20Turner-20ld-620x349.jpg

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just on the BOD thing it would be great to see my favourite player at the Tahs if he doesn't renew his Leinster contract. May not be the player he once was but still pretty talented and very committed. Would be a good signing for the benefit of the squad too in terms of the level of ambition he brings to everything. He's pretty honest in his assessment of his and his teams performances so at least he wouldn't think coming close but still losing was good enough.

Not sure how much actual game time he would see although reports are that he's in better condition this year now that his shoulder has been sorted out. One problem with him is the amount that he smokes but this being Lions season maybe he'll be pulling out all the stops to make sure he's in peak condition.

One major stumbling block is will Chieka keep the marquee spot open for someone who won't be available for the entire season.

If he did sign for that Tahs it would be extra motivation to get my ass down to Aus to catch a Tahs game. Still remember being in the 2nd or 3rd row for that game against Ulster when he passed the ball to himself and broke up the wing. Had to watch the replay on TV as myself, my brother and my dad were all looking at each other asking did he really just do what I think he did.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Tahs need the publicity that a signing like BOD would generate. The guy is a legend, a wonderful footballer, and has a spotless public image.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Tahs need the publicity that a signing like BOD would generate. The guy is a legend, a wonderful footballer, and has a spotless public image.

Imagine the flood of drunken Irish stumbling down Oxford st/Moore Park Rd from the Cock n Bull in the Junction...

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yeah, unless BOD values playing a harder level of rugby (in his opinion) more often with an older and regularly injured body for less money I can't see him making this decision.

Save the marquee spot for Todd Clever or something, that dude simply should be playing Super rugby.

Frankly, with the state that the Waratahs are in, in terms of public support, it wouldn't matter much if he only came on for the last ten minutes or so. The fact that he is in the 22 would generate a heap of interest.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Frankly, with the state that the Waratahs are in, in terms of public support, it wouldn't matter much if he only came on for the last ten minutes or so. The fact that he is in the 22 would generate a heap of interest.

I think his signing would offer more value in Melbourne, our rugby scene is much more based around British ex-pats then Sydney's.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

BOD would be a circus that they don't need, personally, I would prefer the Tahs underplay their hand next season, so less massive promises in January and more, much more stuff done on the pitch.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree fatprop.

If, after the Lions tour we were struggling with injuries in the centres then offering BOD a contract for a few matches would be great.

We've left the marquee position open in case there are holes to fill later in the season and I think that is a good idea. I think signing up BOD as a marquee player now for only a small part of the season would be a huge mistake. If, when the time comes, we have the need and he is available then go for it, but at this stage I don't think the speculation will help the Waratahs.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
there's only one match after the Lions isn't there? v the Reds and then the finals. Surely he wouldn't be eligible for the finals?

Status
Not open for further replies.