• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think one has to seriously question the players the Tahs are inviting to their training group. Like Intruder outlined, they are not the top crop in the Shute Shield.

I suspect that Cheika is finding out for himself whether or not the players have what he wants or not, rather than relying on what the previous coaching staff thought. I have no inside information, but I think that he is going to pick players who fit in with the style of rugby he wants to play and who have the attitude that he wants.

From my recollection of his playing days, he was tough, mobile and skilful and played in a Randwick team that had a dominant forward pack coupled with fast, skilful backs who could and would run the ball from anywhere. If that's the type of player he's bringing in to the Waratahs, then I love it.

He's the one who'll be judged on the success of the team, so I think we need to have faith.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
From my recollection of his playing days, he was tough, mobile and skilful and played in a Randwick team that had a dominant forward pack coupled with fast, skilful backs who could and would run the ball from anywhere. If that's the type of player he's bringing in to the Waratahs, then I love it.

He was a thug. And he played for Randwick at a time when, by fair means, and foul, they dominated New South Wales rugby, and by some measure, Australian rugby as well. If you played for Randwick, it was well known that you had a stand-up start for higher honours. The reverse applied, of course.

In other words, some might say that he was a flat track bully who played for a club which took unfair advantage of their position of strength, to get even stronger.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I suspect that Cheika is finding out for himself whether or not the players have what he wants or not, rather than relying on what the previous coaching staff thought. I have no inside information, but I think that he is going to pick players who fit in with the style of rugby he wants to play and who have the attitude that he wants.

He's the one who'll be judged on the success of the team, so I think we need to have faith.
Agree QH.
The Waratahs will play his style of footy, he won't compromise.
Be a little patient in the 1st year.
He has inferior 9's and an inexperienced 10 (at this level) in Foley for 2013.
In 2014 he'll be coaching his team, not the one he inherited.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
He was a thug. And he played for Randwick at a time when, by fair means, and foul, they dominated New South Wales rugby, and by some measure, Australian rugby as well. If you played for Randwick, it was well known that you had a stand-up start for higher honours. The reverse applied, of course.

In other words, some might say that he was a flat track bully who played for a club which took unfair advantage of their position of strength, to get even stronger.
So I take it that he's off your Xmas card list.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Does anyone still send Xmas Cards anymore?

Even the old "form letter" email to everyone in the address book seems to be falling out of favour.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I googled the incident Wamberal and it threw up some old names for the game the following week (apologies for the digression). Here are the teams for the 1996 grand final. M Chieka is bracketed given he was appealing his suspension for the hit on Hall in the semi.

This looks like a mismatch when you see the two rosters. I have bolded all of the players from both teams that I can remember playing super rugby in 1996 or the following year.

GRAND FINAL TEAMS

WARRINGAH: Andrew Apps; Jon Carroll, Matt Skene, Julian Bignold, Jim Williams; Rob Walton, Mark Catchpole (capt); Brendan Giles, Cameron Pither, Jon Hart, Rob Blyth, John Hearn, George Websdale, Mark James, Steve Crawford.

RANDWICK: Chris Latham; Gareth Smith, Adam Magro, James Holbeck or Craig McMullen, David Campese; David Knox, George Gregan; Michael Cheika or Bill Wyllie, Stuart Pinkerton, Owen Finegan, Mark Giacheri, Warwick Waugh, Ewen McKenzie, Paul Cheika (capt), Joe Picone.

Referee: Peter Marshall.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Blast from the past there mark_s. Thanks. Mind you there are some of us who do not view 1996 as all that long ago either.

The Wicks sure had some firepower, and not too much of it was "homegrown". Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
Would that have been the last club game for George Gregan?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Blast from the past there mark_s. Thanks. Mind you there are some of us who do not view 1996 as all that long ago either.

The Wicks sure had some firepower, and not too much of it was "homegrown". Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
Would that have been the last club game for George Gregan?

At least when Randwick dominated they played an expansive and entertaining brand of rugby. The dominant club at the moment have most of the best players, but play a dour brand of rugby with an emphasis on rolling mauls, pick and drive etc. I know which one I'd prefer to watch.

And no, I have never had any involvement with Randwick or Sydney Uni, but I do still send Christmas cards.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Another added in the last few days has been Jack Littlejohn who has been in the Roosters rugby league stable. He's a goal kicking five-eighth who can play fullback or in the centres.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Another added in the last few days has been Jack Littlejohn who has been in the Roosters rugby league stable. He's a goal kicking five-eighth who can play fullback or in the centres.
Surprised, but very interested to see how Littlejohn progresses. Showed a lot of promise but was dropped to the Newtown Jets after u20s because the Roosters had a plethora of Centres. I think he will and I hope he does well.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Well I live in Sydney these days so it makes sense. Il probably have some sort of ritual burning of the membership to repent my sins once its served its purpose.

OMG a turncoat!!!
Don't do it TOCC

Emuarse ( aka a Red under the bed)

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
At least when Randwick dominated they played an expansive and entertaining brand of rugby. The dominant club at the moment have most of the best players, but play a dour brand of rugby with an emphasis on rolling mauls, pick and drive etc. I know which one I'd prefer to watch.

You mean the Wallabies?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You mean the Wallabies?

If all your best players are coached that way in clubland, that's the way they play for the Waratahs and Wallabies. It works in clubland because you have the best players in the competition. When you get to super rugby and tests, the opposition have players who are just as good.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Oh dear.. you've got to be kidding me.

So "rolling mauls, pick and drives, strong set pieces" is dour rugby? Yet people wonder why our forward pack has a poor reputation.

It is dour when that's just about all you do and it certainly hasn't translated into forward dominance at Waratah/Wallaby level, where a significant number of the players have been through the Sydney Uni system.

The Randwick pack listed above for the 1996 grand final were just as dominant as the current Sydney Uni packs. They had strong set pieces and employed the rolling maul and pick and drive from time to time when the situation demanded. If those Randwick players had played like Sydney Uni, they still would have won, because they had the best players. (See the highlighted rep players.) However, their coach decided to use their forward dominance to play an expansive game, which even when they were beating you was entertaining to watch and when those players moved up to Waratah/Wallaby level they had a multi-faceted game.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

I have nothing against this guy personally, or League players in general,but WTF?
Why is some failed Mungo getting an inside run?
There are over 30 centres/fullbacks who have played SS who deserve an invite before this guy.
And please don't anyone tell me the NYC is a strong standard of league.

Status
Not open for further replies.