• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
The problem with marketing rugby to rugby fans is that we already watch rugby. New punters need a reason to pay attention, and like it or not a well known former league player generates interest. Were sailor, tuquiri and rogers worth throwing money at? Yes, they boosted the profile of the sport leading into a home RWC. so is Izzy worth the money? It's not the teams performance, but the gate numbers that will determine the answer

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The problem with marketing rugby to rugby fans is that we already watch rugby. New punters need a reason to pay attention, and like it or not a well known former league player generates interest. Were sailor, tuquiri and rogers worth throwing money at? Yes, they boosted the profile of the sport leading into a home RWC. so is Izzy worth the money? It's not the teams performance, but the gate numbers that will determine the answer
Disagree, we want the 6,7,8,9,10 year old taking an interest and playing (wrong, enjoying rugby) rugby and their dads following. Yes it rose the profile and punters debated it in the pubs, but, there is no firm measuring tool to gauge the impact it had on the grass roots. Gate numbers will increase by the kids wanting to drag dad along, dad more often than not now will sit on the couch and watch a game.

It is great Izzy getting picked for the trials, we get to see how he goes before the comp, you dont get a cap for a trial what is all the stress and devaluing all about. If we wait until the Shute Sheild to test him we will be 4 - 8 games in. It's also good using him for marketing, and raising the profile because there is an interest - just hope he is used with the juniors as well.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'd have thought that one component of being a dominant team is through recruiting talented players. In the professional era, this includes not just guys who have been playing rugby since they were 6, or guys who went to one of the 14 GPS/CAS schools in Sydney. They're part of it and you don't ignore them, but all successful professional sporting teams around the worldlook for talented athletes from other sports who might fit the bill. For rugby to close its eyes to anyone from outside means that we are ignoring a huge pool of talent.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I want to see him play in the flesh, and how he works off the ball (dong that chasing & support stuff)

The challenge is that my first opportunity will be Thu 14 Feb 2013 - Waratahs v Crusaders (Valentines Day o_O )

That will take some careful negotiations

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Surely you're due a few leave passes after taking yer spare-rib to Italy? AND you're giving up the Brisbane expedition to shout her a feed in Melbourne.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Surely you're due a few leave passes after taking yer spare-rib to Italy? AND you're giving up the Brisbane expedition to shout her a feed in Melbourne.

You would think so, but "apparently" the weeks skiing component made that holiday a break even position.

As to getting there on Valentines day, well, we will see.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You would think so, but "apparently" the weeks skiing component made that holiday a break even position.

As to getting there on Valentines day, well, we will see.

I went with the "this year it's your turn to take me out for Valentine's Day."

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Disagree, we want the 6,7,8,9,10 year old taking an interest and playing (wrong, enjoying rugby) rugby and their dads following. Yes it rose the profile and punters debated it in the pubs, but, there is no firm measuring tool to gauge the impact it had on the grass roots. Gate numbers will increase by the kids wanting to drag dad along, dad more often than not now will sit on the couch and watch a game.

It is great Izzy getting picked for the trials, we get to see how he goes before the comp, you dont get a cap for a trial what is all the stress and devaluing all about. If we wait until the Shute Sheild to test him we will be 4 - 8 games in. It's also good using him for marketing, and raising the profile because there is an interest - just hope he is used with the juniors as well.
if those 6-10 year olds are still like the 6-10 year olds i knew (and at one stage was) they will be introduced to the sport that their father watches either live or on TV. I didn't actually play rugby until I was 9, but I knew the game before then and that was why I wanted to play it. Similarly my kids (3 and 5) know rugby, and watch it at home and have been to games live, but they've never seen AFL. Consequently they talk about playing rugby when they're older, not about playing AFL, no matter how well the AFL engage juniors at a grass roots level.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Geez FP,what is valentine's day?? I never thought Josh Valentine was good enough to have a day named after him.

11520130558180.jpg

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
if those 6-10 year olds are still like the 6-10 year olds i knew (and at one stage was) they will be introduced to the sport that their father watches either live or on TV. I didn't actually play rugby until I was 9, but I knew the game before then and that was why I wanted to play it. Similarly my kids (3 and 5) know rugby, and watch it at home and have been to games live, but they've never seen AFL. Consequently they talk about playing rugby when they're older, not about playing AFL, no matter how well the AFL engage juniors at a grass roots level.
Agree with what you have said, yes.
I dont have access to the statsitacal data, but I'm sure it suggest the 6 - 10 year olds should get attention,
I'd be interest to see the growth in respective codes over a 20 year period.
1990 - registered 6 - 10 year olds playing Rugby, Rugby league, AFL (same for the 10 - 15, and then 15 - 20).
2000 - registered 6 - 10 year olds playing Rugby, Rugby League, AFL (ditto).
2010 - ditto.

You make reference to your kids, my kids also know rugby. My boy 5 just registered for his first year, and my daughter 7 is a cheerleader (but got a real kick out of Auskick when it went through the school.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
My 6 year old will be playing rugby this year for my old club. Didn't register him last Saturday as it was too wet but rang through and put his name down. Will register him this weekend. Looking forward to helping out at training and hoping he loves the game as much as I do.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does anyone know if there are any NSW/Waratahs 'A' games planned this year and where/when?

Pacific Rugby Cup I think it was last year

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
So with the Wallabies reportedly returning to the Tahs squad for the next trial how many will go straight back into the starting line up? Or will it be the Crusaders game when we see a full strength Tahs line up?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
So with the Wallabies reportedly returning to the Tahs squad for the next trial how many will go straight back into the starting line up? Or will it be the Crusaders game when we see a full strength Tahs line up?

For the answers to these, and other exciting questions, stay tuned!

My guess would be that Cheika will do a fair bit of experimenting and/or motivating and team-building in the remaining trials. No doubt he would like to win the Crusaders trial, but he has been around long enough to know that he will be judged at the end of the season, not on the result of trial matches.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd say Cheika will play half of them against the Blues and then the other half against the Crusaders. Crusaders he'd want an almost full strength side to work on combinations however

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
I'd say Cheika will play half of them against the Blues and then the other half against the Crusaders. Crusaders he'd want an almost full strength side to work on combinations however
Yeah I reckon you're spot on qwerty - it will be interesting to see which half, though, and which EPS members hold their spots this week. Gilbert is certainly two good trials from a bench spot come round 1, can't wait to see if anyone else puts their name up there.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd like to think the first choice XV could get at least 50 minutes together against the Crusaders to iron out as many kinks in their combinations so we can hit the ground running against the Reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.