• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

something

Jim Clark (26)
I thought that somewhere in this thread that it was noted that Lucas also can take place kicks.
Yeah mate you would assume so. Have a look at this video from rugby 7's where he converted the winning kick for the aussies first tournament win.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I thought that somewhere in this thread that it was noted that Lucas also can take place kicks.
He can and is quite good at it.

The only thing that I can think of in relation to the half back issue is that Cheika doesn't want to start Lucas against the Chiefs as his first run on match. If he gets plenty of game time, one would assume that he would start next match. Only a thought.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
After last night's excellent performances by both Crawford and Folau, and Horne's looking good in the 12 jumper, where does Barnes slot back in when he reports fit for duty? There's no doubt the Tahs need another playmaker/kicker in their backs, and it should be Barnes, but where do you put him? cyclo reckons it's gotta be fullback, so what to do with Israel? What about trying this:

9. Lucas
10. Foley
11. Folau
12. Horne
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Crawford
15. Barnes

20. McKibbin/Hart
21. Kingston/Betham/Hodge/Carter
22. Volavola

Barnes/Foley/Lucas to take the kicks and Barnes to have a roving role to fill in at first receiver, a la JOC (James O'Connor).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
After last night's excellent performances by both Crawford and Folau, and Horne's looking good in the 12 jumper, where does Barnes slot back in when he reports fit for duty? There's no doubt the Tahs need another playmaker/kicker in their backs, and it should be Barnes, but where do you put him? cyclo reckons it's gotta be fullback, so what to do with Israel? What about trying this:

9. Lucas
10. Foley
11. Folau
12. Horne
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Crawford
15. Barnes

20. McKibbin/Hart
21. Kingston/Betham/Hodge/Carter
22. Volavola

Barnes/Foley/Lucas to take the kicks and Barnes to have a roving role to fill in at first receiver, a la JOC (James O'Connor).

I don't know if Chekia will slot him straight back in. The continued selection of McKibben and other backline selections indicate to me that he is keeping the same people in ths same positions for as long as possible. The fact that McKibben played the full 80 last night and the fact that Betham only came on for an injured Mitchell and Volavola stayed on the bench with Lucas reinforces this. He seems to be gradually settling on his best 7 backs in their positions - in the last few weeks 9, 10, 12, 13 & 15 have remained unchanged while he's tried different players on the wings.

Even though I disagree with the McKibben/Lucas selection, I agree 100% with the thought process, it's what has been missing from the Waratahs for years (also Wallabies). It's no coincidence that this familiarisation with players in the same postions, with the same team mates either side has seen the Waratahs backs playing better.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'd leave Barnes out of the 15 personally.

As far as I can see, the choice is either Barnes or McKibbin. No team can win anything without a goal-kicker.

I would be quite happy with Barnes at 10. At least he can kick out of hand, unlike Foley. Neither of them can make a break, either.

Frankly, unless and until the Tahs can get a pair of halves who can occasionally make a break, they won't win anything serious.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Foley can't make a break!?

Lucas has to start but yes you're absolutely right about goal kicking, I rate the goal kicker as the most important player in the team, Foley needs to work on it.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
As far as I can see, the choice is either Barnes or McKibbin. No team can win anything without a goal-kicker.

I would be quite happy with Barnes at 10. At least he can kick out of hand, unlike Foley. Neither of them can make a break, either.

Frankly, unless and until the Tahs can get a pair of halves who can occasionally make a break, they won't win anything serious.

Wamberal: Normally your posts are quite thoughtful and knowledgeable, but I can't believe you wrote that Foley can't make a break. He's made some absolute crackers this year and his try two weeks ago would be in the running for break of the year.

I do agree on McKibben, I kept a close watch on his passing last night and I thought it was slow and badly directed. And I don't recall one snipe over the whole game either, which allows the opposing halfback to drift much earlier in cover. The whole purpose of a halfback running is to hold the backrowers and halfback for a fraction of a second to give the outer backs more room to move.

Barnes at 10 has not ever shown that he can be the playmaker who implements the type of gameplan the Tahs are playing right now. Barnes' position has become totally problematical. He cannot replace Foley without disrupting the way we are playing through his innate conservatism. After last night I want Folau to stay at 15, I think we would waste his talent on the wing. That leaves 12, where Horne is playing superbly, and doesn't deserve to be dropped. His passing game has improved immensely (it had to), his defense and running have been rock solid.

I hope Cheika brings Barnes back slowly via the bench for a couple of weeks so he can get used to playing the Tah system before giving him a start. The one thing a start would allow us to do is to bench McKibben for Lucas and still have a very reliable kicker. Come to think about it, after last night McKibben is not all that reliable. Some of his misses were really poor and could have cost us the game, they certainly gifted the Chiefs a bonus point. But if Barnes is to start, the only possibility I see is 12, where his passing game and his kicking could be valuable.

As Fantasy coach for the Tahs, assuming Barnes is fit, I'd like McKibben to start next week against the Bulls but be replaced early and then have Lucas start against the Kings. My backline for the next two weeks would be (assuming Mitchell has a couple of weeks out with his hamstring):

Bulls Kings

9: McKibben Lucas
10: Foley Foley (if the game is going well I would sub him for Volavola at oranges)
11: Betham Kingston
12: Horne Barnes
13: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Horne (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will need a break and this game is the best chance)
14: Crawford Crawford
15: Folau Folau (subbed early for Betham with Crawford to switch to 15.)

20: Lucas McKibben
21: Barnes Volavola
22: Volavola Betham

Richo

John Thornett (49)
We've lost games this season due to handling errors, defense and weak work at the breakdown. We saw huge improvements in all 3 last night, although defense dropped off in the second.

What need does Barnes address in those areas? Or backs have, by and large, been very good. He should have to work his way back in. Foley, Horne and Folau are all playing great. I don't see a place for Barnes except by moving Folau and I really, really like it that he is starting the counter attack.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Barnes does offer stability to the Tahs, but I do see the problem of where to fit him. If nothing else, a fit Barnes will provide depth.

I must say that I was quite impressed with the Folau try last night. It was a good kick from Foley, and really utilises Folau's aerial skills. Considering how good Folau is in the air, it is wise to use those skills as a genuine attacking option.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I can't see Barnes playing in the midfield with the style of game they are playing and I can't see Cheika moving Folau from fullback.

I should also remind everyone that Lucas is a goal-kicker, but if Cheika hasn't dropped McKibben by now, I can't see him doing so in the short term. He has said publicly that he wants his 9 & 10 to build up a combination.

I really can't see what Barnes offers the backline in its current form. Would he be better at 10, 12, 13 or 15 than the players already there? Not in my view. Backline combinations should not be shuffled around unless the new player is clearly better than those already there. This is not the case with Barnes at the moment. Things are just coming together, why would you change all that by bringing a player in, who on the available evidence wouldn't suit the style of game that the team area playing?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Been crying out all year for the cross kick to Folau and what do you know they pull it out and it works perfectly! Hopefully we'll see it used a bit more in coming weeks.

I think at the moment its hard to justify a place for Barnes in the team, can't see where he would fit in at the moment and in his brief spell against the Cheetahs he seemed out of tune with the gameplan. In fairness it is hard to judge on 15 minutes of rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.