• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I doubt we can keep Mitchell, Turner, Betham and Kingston. At least 1 or maybe 2 have to go. Who?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Turner would certainly need to take a significant pay cut if he was to stay.

If he wants to remain in Sydney and finish his career at the Tahs then he could stay if he's paid as someone who is only on the fringe of the matchday 22/23. He is a long way from every being a Wallaby again.

Kingston and Betham should both not require massive contracts to keep them. Betham could be a target for someone like the Rebels again who are short on wingers. Kingston has really improved over the last year and a bit and I'd really like to see him kept. I see him as a high priority to retain.

Mitchell is playing well and is still likely to be a Wallaby squad member in 2013. If his demands aren't too high I'd like to keep him.

The issue is definitely that we have too many outside backs. That is further complicated by Hodge and Crawford already being signed for next season in the 30 man squad with neither of them particularly close to the matchday side.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The tahs probably have a get out clause in hodges contract. It might cost them a bit but if it meant keeping Turner, Betham and Kingston I think it would be worth it.

Beyond Phipps and Beale I can't really think of any players from other franchises worth going after. Maybe McCalman if Cheika wants some backrow cover, or Pyle/Neville/Jones to cover for the loss of Timani. I expect Fitzpatrick, Tilse etc will be replaced with shute shield players as there isn't much uncontracted frontrow talent around.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pretty sure McCalman signed for another 2 with the Force earlier this year.

Ben Whittaker might be interested in heading back east. He was really good for the Force when fit. Apparently the Force have expressed an interest in James Hanson so it sounds like Whittaker isn't on the radar.

Mitchell will definitely leave Australian rugby at the end of the season. He is getting on and there are plenty of good wingers in Australian rugby at the moment. I reckon Turner will probably move on too. Turner would be good for the Rebels or Force.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Mitchell will definitely leave Australian rugby at the end of the season. He is getting on and there are plenty of good wingers in Australian rugby at the moment. I reckon Turner will probably move on too. Turner would be good for the Rebels or Force.

Not so sure about Mitchell. It will depend on the season, I reckon. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) re-signing might encourage him to stay.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I think he will head to the south of France. He wants to link up with giteau at Toulon. He goes there all the time and knows the boys down there.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Toulon have massive pockets but they just signed Habana and JP Pieterson is linked there and there's the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) factor

It is understood the Waratahs' interest in Beale was dependent on whether Wallabies playmaker Berrick Barnes stayed with the team or accepted an offer to play in Japan.
Although it has not been announced, Barnes has signed with Japanese club Panasonic Wild Knights, paving the way for Beale to come back.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Listening to Mitchell in his interview about the KB (Kurtley Beale)-Vuna incident, he talks of how it would be nice to have KB (Kurtley Beale) back & play with him next season. He sounds like he'll be saying & he's said in the past he often gives himself away when he speaks sometimes.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I doubt we can keep Mitchell, Turner, Betham and Kingston. At least 1 or maybe 2 have to go. Who?

I'd keep Mitchell and Betham, letting the other two go given if KB (Kurtley Beale) and Folau both sign they'll be first choice 15 and 14. Also letting Turner and Kingston go would probably give enough $ to keep Izzy.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I doubt Kingston will cost much and might be groomed to play closer. A couple of seasons down the line we might see 10. Foley 12. Horne 13. Kingston as inside backs. IMO, Kingston is a high priority.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I doubt Kingston will cost much and might be groomed to play closer. A couple of seasons down the line we might see 10. Foley 12. Horne 13. Kingston as inside backs. IMO, Kingston is a high priority.

Yeah, Kingston would be priority retention target. He's just has too much potential left to be fulfilled to let go and have it come back to bite you. It's a tough position to find yourself to in but its a good one at that. Which Super Rugby quality back to forego to assist in regaining a world class player.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I agree.

Kingston is in the good place that he started as a 13 (pre Super Rugby) and is now a winger. As he gets more experience he'll be better equipped to be a Super Rugby 13 but has clearly proved to be a solid Super Rugby player on the wing.

He's only 21 so he still has plenty of years before you'd expect him to start losing some pace.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I'm guessing that Barnes' salary should be close to enough to pay Izzy if he wants to stay (assuming that he receives some kind of ARU top-up). I would think that Drew would be taking a pay cut, too, unless he plays the house down and performs well internationally. There may be more money floating around than anticipated, particularly if Cheika refuses to overpay players.

Appropriately valuing players is essential in any salary cap situation, but doubly so in contact sports where injuries necessitate having significant squad depth and balance. The best NFL teams, for instance, will let good players walk rather than overpay them to stay. Often, there are guys 80-90% as good that will play for 25% of the money. From the dribs and drabs the media reports, Cheika seems to grasp this pretty well -- although the trick, of course, is in how well you do that valuing in the first place. I'm not an expert on this subject at all, but evidence from Leinster suggests that he is pretty good at it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Great post.

This is absolutely critical for the Waratahs (and every other team). We need to keep our best players but only if the price is right. As I've said previously, some of the players we don't need to keep become worth keeping if the price drops to a lower level (because the player really wants to stay in Sydney and with the team).

A big part of it is creating the culture that makes people want to play for the team. If you do that, most players will be happier to stay for less money than they'd get elsewhere. With a salary cap it is also critical not to overpay for one player just because you really want to keep them because it could mean missing out on two others you want to keep because you can't offer them a fair contract.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I would choose Mitchell over Kingston.

Mitchell has scored 17 tries in 31 games for the Waratahs. He is a good finisher and is also able to make powerful breaks through the 10/12 channel.

Kingston has only scored 5 tries in 22 games and while he is a brilliant finisher he struggles to power through opponents.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would choose Mitchell over Kingston.

Mitchell has scored 17 tries in 31 games for the Waratahs. He is a good finisher and is also able to make powerful breaks through the 10/12 channel.

Kingston has only scored 5 tries in 22 games and while he is a brilliant finisher he struggles to power through opponents.

These are dramatically different signings in terms of price. I believe the Tahs have room for both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.