• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Andrew Fifita looking very much the rugby player at the Tahs game yesterday sitting with Phil Blake

421251-a3856f24-9c58-11e3-8857-926a2cf5fac5.jpg
Can someone explain the comment in the Daily telegraph today about Fifita not really coming to Rugby because he will "become bored playing as a rugby union forward'

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There is an article floating around in which the mungoes are crowing about having a $200 million warchest, to be used to crush the opposition codes.

My guess is that they will move heaven and earth to keep Fifita, and any other stars of their little game.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
There is an article floating around in which the mungoes are crowing about having a $200 million warchest, to be used to crush the opposition codes.

My guess is that they will move heaven and earth to keep Fifita, and any other stars of their little game.

It's all BS, the reality is a player will make more spending 4 years becoming a consistent Wallaby and moving to France/Japan to finish off.

I'm not saying your average player would have his career mapped out like this but his manager sure would.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Andrew Fifita looking very much the rugby player at the Tahs game yesterday sitting with Phil Blake

421251-a3856f24-9c58-11e3-8857-926a2cf5fac5.jpg
Call me a sceptic but what are the chances out of 16k spectators a photographer just happened to spy Fifita in the crowd? Would a clever manager (or accountant in Fifita's case) send Fifita to the game and tip off a friendly sports photographer that he was talking to rugby coaches? That wouldn't get the NRL to find a bit more extra cash to keep him would it?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Phipps needs to adjust his technique to squat over the ball and deliver from the deck while his torso is upright - ALL halfbacks should do this, and its when they start step-stepping or bending down to pick up the ball in front of them that it goes to shit.

I'm a prop and even I know that.
The first 5 words are redundant, when it comes to you, Nick!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I actually wonder, given that the ARU CEO is walking around telling everybody that the finances of the game are in such terrible shape, why a player who could earn a lot in another sport would switch to ours?

If I were a player manager right now I would be advocating a bit of caution.

A journalist from the AFR was on "Offsiders" yesterday, and he claimed that a couple Super Rugby CEOs had complained to him about Pulver talking the game down. Apart from anything else, that makes long-term sponsorships difficult to sign, not to mention established players like Fifita.

The sooner all this doom and gloom financial stuff either disappears or is somehow dealt with, the better.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
T
Written by a mungo journalist. Needs very little explanation. About as much as their knowledge of forward play in Rugby.
Thats what I thought. Bored FFS. Play like Cliffy yesterday or take it up 20 times and get smashed in most of them or have your arm or leg twisted off. Do 30 tackles on other 120kg monsters coming at you from 15 mtrs away and then get criticised if you leave your designated field area. Know which one I would want and enjoy more

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Call me a sceptic but what are the chances out of 16k spectators a photographer just happened to spy Fifita in the crowd? Would a clever manager (or accountant in Fifita's case) send Fifita to the game and tip off a friendly sports photographer that he was talking to rugby coaches? That wouldn't get the NRL to find a bit more extra cash to keep him would it?

Of course his manager set it up. But credit to the manager for going the extra yards - getting his man dressed up for the day, turning up at the match and looking like he's in serious discussions, tipping off the photographer, and doing it all a couple of weeks before the NRL season starts so that he can occupy the whole back page of the Telegraph. Much better work than simply picking up the phone to Danny Weidler and talking rugby.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
The mungoes seem to have this horrible crass view that throwing money at something will fix the problem.
I can see all this TV money being wasted as they throw far too much money are far too many average players - christ Sandor Earl is getting $500k.....
Even with very little money, the mungos keep coming over / back to rugby - its hilarious.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The mungoes seem to have this horrible crass view that throwing money at something will fix the problem.
I can see all this TV money being wasted as they throw far too much money are far too many average players - christ Sandor Earl is getting $500k...
Even with very little money, the mungos keep coming over / back to rugby - its hilarious.

The Mungo game is dying and has been for a very long time. It is internationally irrelevant not to mention morally bankrupt. No matter how much money News Limited and Ch Nein throw about to talk it up, it ain't going anywhere, and they will very soon be like the 1980's big lunch. The more intelligent within their game know it and are very very worried, as they should be.

It will survive for a little longer in the Eastern States of Australia, but the shark was jumped when Rugby went professional.
Nein and News Limited are desperate to protect their investment in the equivalent of the 8 track cassette music system. It wasn't much good back in 1976 and is spears vs cruise missiles now.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
If Super Rugby could get channel 9 the better ratings I don't think they would care about there investment. Making money is more important than investing in anything.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Mungo game is dying and has been for a very long time. It is internationally irrelevant not to mention morally bankrupt. No matter how much money News Limited and Ch Nein throw about to talk it up, it ain't going anywhere, and they will very soon be like the 1980's big lunch. The more intelligent within their game know it and are very very worried, as they should be.

Unfortunately I don't rugby fans are in the position anymore to throw stones at other sports. Our administration has been diabolical for some time. League have committed to spending $200,000 on grass routes development over the next four years on the back of their new tv deal. In the mean time our national body is asking for $800,000 from their grass roots to help stay viable.

At the same time the NRL has upped their salary cap whilst we are playing our elite players less, again to help keep the books get back in balance.

Make no mistake - they are targeting our kids and will be targeting our elite. 2015 will be a turning point for Australian Rugby. I've said it before and I will say it again, once the RWC is over we will see a massive exodus of elite players from Australian Rugby.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

It will survive for a little longer in the Eastern States of Australia, but the shark was jumped when Rugby went professional.
Nein and News Limited are desperate to protect their investment in the equivalent of the 8 track cassette music system. It wasn't much good back in 1976 and is spears vs cruise missiles now.
That is fantasy HJ.
Read the papers,they made a $49.6 M profit last year.
Our game is mugging 6yo's for their tuck shop money.
Unfortunately the baddies have the cruise missiles,and Rugby is down to its last batch of spears.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Grim reading indeed.
Whilst the ARU/Sanzar can focus on extracting precious $ from the next TV deal, its clear that the Australian rugby public need to do their bit for the good of the game. Aussie rugby supporters can be a pretty complacent bunch but if we want the game to actually exist in this country, we all need to get involved.

Become a member of a city or country Premier rugby / grade club. They are pretty cheap at less than $100 for entry to 9 / 10 home games.

Ditto – super rugby franchise. Heck, get a General admission or supporter membership – its worth it. Encourage family and friends to get one as well. The seats are far better than through Ticketek and an excuse to get out with your mates.

Go to the Wallabies game held in your city.

Talk up the game to all and sundry.
Click on rugby website advertisements.

Use sponsor’s product and let it be known that its due to the rugby sponsorship.
Ex players help out at club home games by rounding up finals / tour reunion groups. Buy grog – give back to the club by spending precious $.

Go to the NRC games en masse

Coach a kids team

Get Foxtel and watch / record the games

It doesn’t matter what it is, but like many of the posters on GAGR, everyone needs to DO SOMETHING rather than sit back or watch the filthy mungos or aerial ping pongers eat into our turf.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for posting that Badger.

I was unaware about the bad blood between Gibson and Blackadder, but isn't it interesting?

Blackadder must have been over the moon therefore with the win against the Tahs last year, when they had no clue how to get out of their 22 with their attacking play.

It's a pity that the two teams aren't playing against each other this year: maybe Gibson could have started a crusade against the Kiwi team. They didn't look so hot in Rd. 2; mind you, they hardly ever do at this stage of the season.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Good post Crashy, bar one thing: fuck Foxtel.

I gave them a strategic plan for a sports-only iQHD package, and they spat in my face.

But I will be doing my level best to support rugby in and around my wife's social planning

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Good post Crashy, bar one thing: fuck Foxtel.

I gave them a strategic plan for a sports-only iQHD package, and they spat in my face.

But I will be doing my level best to support rugby in and around my wife's social planning

I don't like donating to Rupert's retirement fund, but I need my live footy, now I have it. Down here in Mexico you really have no other option.

I do it on the cheap with foxtel play through my samsung smart tv. 50 bucks a month for the sport pack (minus setanta) and you aren't locked into any contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.