• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think they've ceded and a sports only package is coming, from what I've seen. Not sure if they have an iQHD one.

Foxtel are still locked in an old world TV mentality. The only thing that works with that is sport. They are slowly being dragged towards the 21st century with their catchup service, but it is still very limited and frustrating to use.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't like donating to Rupert's retirement fund, but I need my live footy, now I have it. Down here in Mexico you really have no other option.

I do it on the cheap with foxtel play through my samsung smart tv. 50 bucks a month for the sport pack (minus setanta) and you aren't locked into any contracts

I do the same.

Also allows you to watch online - I also use my iPad and Foxtel Go.

For the record, Foxtel Go is a shit, shit app.

T

TOCC

I do the same.

Also allows you to watch online - I also use my iPad and Foxtel Go.

For the record, Foxtel Go is a shit, shit app.

I disagree, Foxtel Go rarely gives me problems. I had it on my iPad but have since installed it on my laptop which is linked to my tv and it works fantastic, no lag, good quality picture, doesn't drop out..

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Apologies for the digression:

My following issues with Foxtel Go and the Samsung Foxtel Play app are:
- channel drops out every now and again - I have to change channels to another then back to get it back
- slow to pick up channels when you change, particularly on the Samsung Foxtel Play app
- lag / lower quality during peak times (fine other times), which normally happens to coincide with rugby games
- I've had the entire sport channels be down several times, when I've gone to FaceBook to complain there's already plenty of people there complaining. The attidude from Foxtel is to delete or ignore complaints until it hits a critical mass - it's always your fault, not theirs until they can't ignore it (multiple WhirlPool threads on similar)
- Catch Up system is horrible:
o it doesn't remember what you have and haven't watched apart from the last show
o it is laggy (stops and waits for ages for each menu of the multi-layered menu system to load), this is paricularly horrible on the Samsung Foxtel Play app with its horrible interface
o if you watch two or more shows, you have to navigate through the horrible, laggy menu system to get between each one
o only numbers episodes of shows (e.g. Daily Show and Colbert Report are shown as episode 151 without dates or other identifiers), meaning that if you infrequently watch them you have no idea what you have and haven't watched before
o is inconsistent with when it uploads shows, particularly those on Friday in the US
o ads before catch up programs sometimes simply fail to play and it sits there with a black screen (Foxtel Go app on iPad)

I have also have NetFlix on my Samsung surround sound system, which has waaaaay less processing power than my Samsun Smart TV - and it craps over the Foxtel Play app in every way possible.

Nothing like Foxtel Play being horribly laggy and low quality, then going to Netflix and having it perfectly smooth with good quality.

If Foxtel were serious about their online options, they'd have looked at tihngs like Netflix and Hulu and done better. As this stage, Catch Up is a horrible after thought so they can market a feature, instead of providing a really convenient option.

Disclosure: I work in the same building as Foxtel HQ (well, one of Foxtel's HQs - they have two buildings side by side, the second of which they use about 50%), and they seem have interesting hiring policies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I fail to see what all this has to do with Waratahs 2014. Surely there are better threads to have this discussion in.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Apologies for obviously derailing the vigorous Tahs discussions gentlemen.

As you were.

Excuse the crickets.

Wasn't just you, Ash. Before the Foxtel comments we had mungoes vs rah-rahs and Fifita talking up his next league contract.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Scare tactics used by Paul Gallen on Andrew Fifita.

Fifita warned: rugby no fun

Despite peaking the interest of both NSW coach Michael Cheika and the ARU, potential code-hopper Andrew Fifita has been warned by his Cronulla Sharks skipper Paul Gallen that he won’t be able to have any fun in rugby union. ‘He's all about having fun - he's the life of the party, the loudest bloke in the group,’ Gallen said. ‘I don't think he's going to be able to express himself in rugby union.’

The ultra-athletic Fifita is an interesting union prospect, also having played backrow in the Brumbies academy as a youngster. The play of Sam Burgess this year could indicate the potential of a mobile league prop to fit into the 13-man game.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wonderfully insightful commentary from the grub

Cheeky imbibing of the good stuff, questionable early childhood potty training, bruisingly philosophical debates with the fairer sex and a general rouseabouting with members of the public.

Colour me beige I really must be an introverted bore at all the parties.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
That would require a shoe.
Ah yes. Great moments in League. Who could forget Julian O'Neill's tongue twister: "I just shat in Schlossy's shoe."

As Paul Gallen sagely pointed out, you don't get the chance to express yourself like that in rugby union.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fifita has been a semi-pro rugby player, he gets it.

It's amazing how people gloss over easily available info when convenient.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ok ok....

How long is Dave Dennis likely to be out & what do the Tahs supporter think of Hooper as the replacement captain?

I think Hoiles will have to play well to be an able replacement for Dennis. Although not an overly popular player, I think Dennis has been good so far this year and is a strong Super Rugby player.

Hooper will also be looking to step up his game from last week. The strong play by the majority of the forward pack meant that Hooper didn't need to at his usual awesome self, but we'll need more from him this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.