• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
yeah, the only tahs home game i'm not seeing live this year is the friday night game, because it is physically impossible for me to get there before half time.

EDIT: This is particular to my situation - i now plenty of guys who love nothing more than an excuse to avoid their families and roll straight from work to the footy, and they must love a friday night at the SFS.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I should be rolling up from work every other Friday, not scratching around my calendar to see when the next match is on.

http://www.icalshare.com/calendars/6162

For those who don't know. There are others too.

As for "fortress Suncorp" - where the fuck else are you going to play rugby around Brisbane? Ballymore is a shit hole and an arse to get to. Its a one-horse town FFS and everyone lives just up the street from each other. Plus Suncorp is an awesome rugby stadium from what I can tell just off TV. Everyone I know who has been to it raves.

Sydney crowds know how to put together an atmosphere - just go to a Swans game where there are only 25,000 fans, and watch them go for nearly three hours supporting their team in a stadium bigger than SFS.

The Tahs' supposed blue blood (in more ways than one) "supporters", when they can be bothered to show up, spend more time networking about fucking shares or discussing tweed - OK so to be honest, I don't know precisely what they're doing. But it isn't fucking watching rugby, the fluffybunnys. And the fact they can't even be bothered to do that any more suggests they weren't rusted on anyway.

Keep in mind that the Tahs aren't responsible for the timing of Mardi Gras or other events in Sydney - they can only ask SANZAR for the best available schedule based on what they know at the time, and try to stick to it, finding alternatives where they can. Because ultimately its about the broadcasters but fuck those guys too.

And while on the topic, I'll put it out there right now:

I'm going to put myself through extreme discomfort, and set aside all my prejudices and past disappointments, to try and get to as many Tahs games as possible. I can target the rest of the home season without knowing precisely what my wife will plan at this point.

I might even buy a membership to help cover that crap. Not donating to Rupert's colonic irrigation fund through Foxtel any more so might as well.

It won't change the fact that the SFS is a fluffybunny to get to, serves shit beer in lines that are too long, and has a percentage of "fans" who look like they got dragged there from a meeting and would rather be circle-jerking each other around a ForEx desk.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the arrival of Phipps and Beale is really have a great impact on combinations within the team.

We've now got Phipps and Foley playing next to each other at 9 and 10 who spent three years playing Colts together at Sydney Uni, some first grade and are also housemates.

We've also reunited Beale and Betham who played 6 years of high school rugby together at Joeys. We saw Betham score a try running off Beale's shoulder on Saturday night and Beale looked absolutely over the moon that he'd gift-wrapped a try for his mate.

I think these combinations are going to have a big impact on the Tahs this season and we're already starting to see it.

Phipps has had a huge impact on the speed of our play so far.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
http://www.icalshare.com/calendars/6162

For those who don't know. There are others too.

As for "fortress Suncorp" - where the fuck else are you going to play rugby around Brisbane? Ballymore is a shit hole and an arse to get to. Its a one-horse town FFS and everyone lives just up the street from each other. Plus Suncorp is an awesome rugby stadium from what I can tell just off TV. Everyone I know who has been to it raves.

Well if we were getting Tah crowds we could play our games at Ballymore. Or Perry Park.

The Gabba has hosted international rugby. ANZ has hosted the Broncos and "origin".

But you're right. When you have the best, don't mess with the rest.

Taking a game to Olympic Park would be like us taking one of ours to the Gold Coast. We played one in Townsville though once. Back in mid-2000s.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Looking forward to the next game, it is essential that we fix the lineout. The Brumbies have great jumpers and long kickers in abundance and the ball will end up in the stands so we can't do a quick throw. We've got two weeks to get it right or Gandalf will conjure up a nightmare.

So I'm a Tahs member now. I'm good for at least four games (Platinum) so the rest of you sorry pricks better be there.

The Parole Board hearing went well and I have been given three weeks leave of absence from my Adelaide prison. That means I get to see the Brumbies game in Canberra and the Rebels game at the SFS. So pumped!

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Having been to both top Tah and Wallabies matches at ANZ in the last 12 months I think there is a big drop off.

The bigger unknown is what would've last night's 16k vs the Reds have turned out to be at the SFS? Could/would it have been more and created more vibe?

The crowds at Homebush in previous seasons have generally been the biggest of the season. When the Tahs were pulling 45K to Homebush, people were whinging about how great the atmosphere would have been at the SFS with that crowd - but the SFS games weren't getting a crowd that size, so it's a moot point.

Having said that, even by the terrible standards of Homebush, Saturday night had nil atmosphere, except when a try was scored. A 16K crowd was a terrible result. I've long supported the concept of taking games there, to get them out of the eastern suburbs, but it's over. Concept failed. Find a ground where we can see what's going on and enjoy some atmosphere.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The crowds at Homebush in previous seasons have generally been the biggest of the season. When the Tahs were pulling 45K to Homebush, people were whinging about how great the atmosphere would have been at the SFS with that crowd - but the SFS games weren't getting a crowd that size, so it's a moot point.

Having said that, even by the terrible standards of Homebush, Saturday night had nil atmosphere, except when a try was scored. A 16K crowd was a terrible result. I've long supported the concept of taking games there, to get them out of the eastern suburbs, but it's over. Concept failed. Find a ground where we can see what's going on and enjoy some atmosphere.

It's difficult to compare the ANZ crowds to the SFS ones in recent years. We've had the Brumbies and Reds games all at ANZ, and bar this last one they've generally been well attended. But I don't if that's because they're at ANZ or because of the opposition. My personally opinion is that you'd get just as many people for those games at the SFS.

Having said all that, I don't mind the ride out to Homebush, even though I'm one of those eastern suburbs c*nts that people around here keep slagging off. My main objection is that it's a shite place to watch rugby. Too far from the action.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Good to see you cough up for a membership, Pfitzy.

It shits me that "fans" who live in Sydney but don't actually go to games slag off the people who are actually there for not creating enough atmosphere. Sure, there are lots of shithouse supporters at the games who don't get into things, but at least they're actually, you know, supporting their team. And at least the members are actually, you know, paying for memberships.

Reminds me of that prick at the ill-fated fan forum a few years ago who ragged out the team and then said "That's why I haven't been to a game in ten years."

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Saturday's crowd was poor because rain was pissing down all afternoon. I surfed down to Granville from the Blue Mountains, it was that bloody wet.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
Excuses aside, I’m deeply concerned about the crowd numbers thus far.
I’m not sure if its apathy, the damage that a few lean years have done or whether Sydney as a whole has lost interest.
Going by all the current and past players ( plus families) of rugby in this city, we really should be selling out each home game.
We’re trying to grab a big crew for the Rebels game as if we want a rugby team in this city we need to be there in numbers.
It just seems the average rugby fan doesn’t seem to care too much for the tahs.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Excuses aside, I’m deeply concerned about the crowd numbers thus far.
I’m not sure if its apathy, the damage that a few lean years have done or whether Sydney as a whole has lost interest.
Going by all the current and past players ( plus families) of rugby in this city, we really should be selling out each home game.
We’re trying to grab a big crew for the Rebels game as if we want a rugby team in this city we need to be there in numbers.
It just seems the average rugby fan doesn’t seem to care too much for the tahs.
People just got used to not going.
Sydney loves winners,if the Tahs continue their form,and their style of play.
A Tahs ticket will be a sought after prize by the end of the year.
I know a lot of people who vowed never again during the Hickey/Foley debacle,it takes a while to convince some people that things have changed,and that it's not just rhetoric.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
People just got used to not going.
Sydney loves winners,if the Tahs continue their form,and their style of play.
A Tahs ticket will be a sought after prize by the end of the year.
I know a lot of people who vowed never again during the Hickey/Foley debacle,it takes a while to convince some people that things have changed,and that it's not just rhetoric.

I am one.
I'm with Bruce.
At least we got to March before everyone started trying on the "coveted green jacket" - I've seen people sizing it up in November.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm making no predictions of guaranteed semi final spots or whatever.
I just love the attitude in the joint.
There is nowhere to hide,either you are doing your job,or he is calling you out.
I know I am going to enjoy a few games this year when they are beaten,more than most of the wins under the previous muppet.
That's the beauty of coming from such a low base,pretty much anything is an improvement.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think it might pay to be wary of the February Premier syndrome. We have had our hopes prematurely raised more than a few times in the past.

For those 'Tahs supporters of the Christian persuasion the Book of Job is appropriate reading.

I agree 100%. While the game against the Reds was exhilarating, a match against a well coached forward pack with good attitude and a good gameplan would just about have brought us undone. Did we win two lineouts all match? Those we won, we won by luck, and if we had played a better set-piece and kick/chase team we would have spent half the match turning on our heels and chasing back forty metres for another lineout.

The season schedule breaks out into three key phases - early local derbies, the SA trip and the post-International games. We are half way through the early derbies and are 2 from 2. We've got the Brumbies away which will be a very difficult encounter, with the Brumbies desparate to pin us back and on their home turf followed by the Rebels at home, which is an absolute banana skin game. If we win one of those two and secure a bonus point in the other we will have successfully completed phase 1.

Then the nightmare begins. We fly over to meet the Sharks and Stormers in successive weeks. The Sharks game will be very tough (finals tough, maybe test quality tough) and we will be jet lagged. Then the Stormers, one of our bogey teams lately with their suffocating defence. Then back to Perth, jet-lagged, to play the Force who will have a point to prove. We could be 0 and 3 from that lot. I hope we aren't silly enough to fly back to Sydney from SA then back to Perth.

Then a few easier games leading up to the Chiefs away that should give us a chance to recover till the stop for the internationals. After the international break the comp resumes with the Brumbies and Highlanders at home and the Reds away. We have to win all three of those and pick up bonus points if we are to make top two.

There is only one way to make this draw work for us: "Yea, though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; because I'm going to be the meanest son-of-a-bitch in the valley. Hezekiah 4:17"

Status
Not open for further replies.