• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
yeah, the only tahs home game i'm not seeing live this year is the friday night game, because it is physically impossible for me to get there before half time.

EDIT: This is particular to my situation - i now plenty of guys who love nothing more than an excuse to avoid their families and roll straight from work to the footy, and they must love a friday night at the SFS.

It's great. Your life sucks.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Excuses aside, I’m deeply concerned about the crowd numbers thus far.
I’m not sure if its apathy, the damage that a few lean years have done or whether Sydney as a whole has lost interest.
Going by all the current and past players ( plus families) of rugby in this city, we really should be selling out each home game.
We’re trying to grab a big crew for the Rebels game as if we want a rugby team in this city we need to be there in numbers.
It just seems the average rugby fan doesn’t seem to care too much for the tahs.

I think you're right to be. We've got a side full of stars who didn't have a shit season last year and are taking names, yet the numbers are abysmal.

With my market research of 1 though, I'm having those pricks who fucked off to AFL start to stop me and talk about how good the Tahs are looking - plenty of raised eye-brows. I reckon it'll take the Tahs looking a shot at the finals for them to turn up, then they'll buy some sort of season ticket next year.

If we're lucky

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Remind them what a pack of fluffybunnys (edit: that doesn't always work for some reason) they'll look if they don't get on the train now, and that big crowds are going to help the boys shit all over these foreign pricks especially.

Back in the old days before I had kids, and when I lived over that way, we'd go with friends. Shit, even once we'd moved out here we would catch up at games, bit of dinner at Cine before the game.

So I've proposed we start that up again, and take the kids on Sunday afternoons. I'm going to lock her in on that so she doesn't fuck it up with family bullshit either.

So you may see me at games with my gorgeous wife and kids, be fucking polite you peasants.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Let's hope the rain stays away and Sydneysiders start jumping on the bandwagon quick smart.

If we can get a win in Canberra then hopefully we will be well placed to draw a good crowd to the Rebels game.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Alright guys, there's a Gen Blue game against Pampas XV on 3pm this Friday at UNSW's David Phillips Field at Kingsford. One of the players (or may have been Nathan Grey) mentioned that there is going to be a whole day rugby gala event on.

Unfortunately, this hasn't been promoted at all. Does anyone know any further details about this?

On a Friday? Uuummmmmmm not sure about a lot of people but I sure as shit need to work to fund my rugby......

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just with regards to the SFS v ANZ debate. From an out of towner....

I have been to heaps of games out at ANZ because that is where the Reds games and most of the test have been played for the last few years. This year was my first excursion to the SFS for the Force game.

From my point of view...... I HATE ANZ. It anoys the fuck out of me. It is a bastard to get to (for an out of towner), there is bugger all to do out there on non-game days so staying out there is not really an option, the atmosphere is shite and it is terrible to watch rugby in. Even from the posh seats.

My first experience of the SFS was good. Thought that the atmosphere there was much better, even with the small crowd. We sat in GA and didn't have much of a problem getting a drink. Even at Suncorp you have to line up at times so I figure this just goes with the terrority. I would love to go to a Reds game at the SFS as I am sure thre would be more Reds fans travel as it is a better ground to actually watch the game.

As to the Tah's......... God I hope they can continue this form. It is a pleasure to watch. When they are not playing the Reds. :)

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
With the extensive media coverage the Swans received from Modern Family’s Sofia Vegara turning up to training recently, the Tahs should consider inviting actor Gerard Butler, who is in Sydney to film Gods of Egypt next door at Fox Studios, to Tahs training and home matches.

Copy of art-353-svSOFIA-300x0.jpg

However, unlike Vegara who probably had little idea about the AFL, Butler (a Scotsman and a sports fan), would at least have an awareness of rugby (pic is from a L'Oreal ad shoot).

Copy of GB rugby.jpg

It could be a good PR exercise if they could get him seen at Tahs home games or at training (with a Tahs jersey, pics with Izzy or big Will?). The movie studio making Gods of Egypt might go for it too as it would give the film some brand awareness in advance of its release.

It shouldn’t cost much (a few phone calls, some tickets and kit?), but the payoff could result in some much need media coverage for the team. Sydney loves a celebrity so having the Butler associated with the Tahs could be good publicity for the team profile.

So anyone from the Tahs reading this? This is "outside the box”, but it could be worth an attempt. Otherwise, it wouldn’t surprise to see him in Russell Crowe’s box at some Rabbitohs home games during his stay..

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It could be a good PR exercise if they could get him seen at Tahs home games or at training (with a Tahs jersey, pics with Izzy or big Will?). The movie studio making Gods of Egypt might go for it too as it would give the film some brand awareness in advance of its release.

It shouldn’t cost much (a few phone calls, some tickets and kit?), but the payoff could result in some much need media coverage for the team. Sydney loves a celebrity so having the Butler associated with the Tahs could be good publicity for the team profile.

So anyone from the Tahs reading this? This is "outside the box”, but it could be worth an attempt. Otherwise, it wouldn’t surprise to see him in Russell Crowe’s box at some Rabbitohs home games during his stay..

As much as I like the idea, getting an A-list actor to do a photo opp takes WAY more than 'a few phone calls and some kit'.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't try, though.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
As much as I like the idea, getting an A-list actor to do a photo opp takes WAY more than 'a few phone calls and some kit'.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't try, though.

You're right. I was being too simplistic in saying a few calls and tickets would do it.

EDIT (5/03/2014): From Izzy Folau’s Twitter account…doesn’t look like any tickets or kit were involved.

Copy of BhSK0FCCYAEWzw8.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You're right. I was being too simplistic in saying a few calls and tickets would do it.

Forget about the phone calls. The unpaid interns are too busy to do something like that.

Just get one of the 15 year olds to photoshop a Tahs Jumper on to Butler. Job done.

Better still @Dismal Pillock may even do it for nothing.

Who needs actual celebrity endorsement? Tahs just need coverage in the media. Fake celebrity endorsement will get you that in spades if it catches on, or the celebrity complains about it.

Great Idea. JFDI.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Assuming it is the SFS, The Local Taphouse would be the go.

@Lindommer or others with "connections" could organise a Vic vs NSW craft beer taste off.

Easy distance to the SFS on Shanks Pony.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Rebels match is on a Friday night, I'd be more in favour of a post-match pissup. BUT, if others want a pre-match meeting I'll go with the flow.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
BREAKING NEWS

"NSW Waratahs superstar Israel Folau has undergone ankle scans and is being rested from training this week but is in no doubt to return after the club’s weekend's Super Rugby bye. Folau rolled his ankle in Saturday night’s record win over the Queensland Reds at ANZ Stadium, where he scored two tries and was also sin-binned in an eventful match."

Izzy's not getting a run this weekend against the Bye, what do we do? 'Spose we have to rejig the backline and put Beale back at 15. Chance for Rob Horne to shine in the 12 jumper, what's his form like against the Bye? I've done extensive research and match reports featuring the Bye are bloody hard to find, can someone help me out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.