• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Harry Jones has already picked up 7 meat pies in First Grade in his first year out of school for the Rats.

Harry is doing OK: I've seen a bit of him in first grade this year.

I've said of Andrew Kellaway in other posts that he plays "old" - as though he has the experience of an older player.

Harry is not at that stage yet but I'll back him to get there.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Getting more juniors coming through is certainly a priority.
With the "locking in" of promising school players and colts, surely the NSW Junior Waratahs is the mechanism for doing so? The NSW website says NSW Rugby Union has over fifty players currently undertaking elite programs as part of the HSBC Waratahs and the HSBC Junior Waratahs.
I guess Kellaway would be part of that group.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'm not sure about the terminology but the Tahs had a heap of youngsters with them from about October - all candidates for the NSW Under 20 squad that competed in the National Under 20 Championships before the national side was picked for the IRB JWC which is currently underway.

They had sessions every Mon, Wed and Fri starting at 4pm.

Cheika told me they had about 75 of these lads to start with and the numbers were whittled down over time. In the New Year they had a series of trial games mostly against senior players, by the time of nationals the squad had been boiled down to 28.

Maybe that is what the website means.

Or maybe it is something that is the remains of the National Academy which is now taken over by the Tahs in NSW and it's not just Under 20s, but it also includes them.

Can anybody give more definite information?

I think it's something I knew but have forgotten.

This happens to me a lot lately - if I remember right.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry Brumbies fans but the news of Moore and Carter really helps the Tahs here.. Should be aiming for a bonus point win.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
re Kellaway I think you will find when he comes back from the 21's he will be a regular in first grade for wicks. He is a country mile better then anyone else they have down there

Crazy Grey

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm not sure about the terminology but the Tahs had a heap of youngsters with them from about October - all candidates for the NSW Under 20 squad that competed in the National Under 20 Championships before the national side was picked for the IRB JWC which is currently underway.

Lee, is there any possibility of Naiyaravoro being an 8 based on physical ability, what you've seen of him or chat to coaches?

I'm a big fan of Palu but he won't be around forever and it would be nice to see those 120kgs going to better use.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lee, is there any possibility of Naiyaravoro being an 8 based on physical ability, what you've seen of him or chat to coaches?

I'm a big fan of Palu but he won't be around forever and it would be nice to see those 120kgs going to better use.

I think there is zero chance of a winger being converted to a number 8.

Tala Gray was brought in to provide cover for Palu.

Crazy Grey

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think there is zero chance of a winger being converted to a number 8.

Tala Gray was brought in to provide cover for Palu.

So far he has played Inside Centre, Outside Centre and Wing for Parramatta. When Sonny Bill came across to Union there was talk of him playing in the backrow, not that it was all sensible. Also he played union when he was at school and should understand rucks and mauls.

...and finally (and forgive me for quoting wikipedia) "He played rugby union all through his school days in Fiji and made the national Under 16s team playing both as a winger and flanker."
Any more one sentence dismissals of what I thought was a reasonable question?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree qwerty: I wouldn't let him anywhere near the piggies despite his size.

I hope he doesn't frustrate us as much as Nadolo did when he was so good in Sydney club rugby but couldn't nail down a Super spot because of his poor handling and a seeming lack of diligence off the ball.

Nadolo is doing well now and good for him, but you couldn't blame the Aussie Super coaches at the time for "letting him go" as some pundits have said.

Let's hope that Nariyaravoro succeeds for the Tahs and for himself, early, so he can be kept here and not go overseas like the other big fellow.

It is good to have game breakers in your team: not only to help them win, but also to enjoy the exciting manner of their contribution.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So far he has played Inside Centre, Outside Centre and Wing for Parramatta. When Sonny Bill came across to Union there was talk of him playing in the backrow, not that it was all sensible. Also he played union when he was at school and should understand rucks and mauls.

.and finally (and forgive me for quoting wikipedia) "He played rugby union all through his school days in Fiji and made the national Under 16s team playing both as a winger and flanker."
Any more one sentence dismissals of what I thought was a reasonable question?
Actually it was two sentences. He used twice as.much effort to dismiss your proposal.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did you see Nadalo played inside centre fo Fiji in their win last weekend over Italy? Scored a try but also kicked a few goals! He's in a purple patch aint he?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Alofa Alofa is listed at 10 for Wests tomorrow.

Hoping to make it down to Woollahra to watch Gray, McKibbin and Lance go round.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
If anyone needs a drinking option before the Wallabies game at the SFS Sydney Irish are running a pre game function featuring ex Wallaby Warwick Waugh and current Waratah/all round lunatic Jaques Potgeiter in the Entertainment Quarter. Food, booze and match ticket (only if required) included. PM for more details if you’re interested.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)

I spent a lot of time in South Africa between 2004-06, and there was this young gun winger at the Bulls who ran like the wind though couldn't get a look-in behind Habana and Ndangane. They told him to try 8, and challenge Wannenberg and Cronje instead - the rest is history as Pierre Spies went on to become an International in that position (albeit racked by injury and heart problems).

Naiyaravoro has the hands to be an effective 8, and certainly the size, speed and strength - stamina and smarts are the question marks for mine, and I think he'd make a devastating 8 given the right development.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Seem to recall that Jim Williams played as a winger when he first came to the Brumbies before shifting to the back row. Not sure if he'd always played on the wing prior to coming to the Brums or was just shifted there in the hope that he'd become a Lomu-esque giant winger that could run over the top of people

Status
Not open for further replies.