• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Hoping that Beale does not come home for next year. At least not to play at 10. Foley showed an out of hand kicking game vs. the Stormers that I don't think many people knew he had in him. It was his biggest flaw by a mile and if he can prove that he's capable of kicking like that regularly and slightly improve on it he will be a very solid option heading into 2014. On top of that he knows Cheika's system and continuity is going to be pretty huge for them going into next year, the franchise can't afford more early-season hiccups while other players learn the attack pattern.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Phipps actually looking like a less than retarded pickup now. Matt Lucas is clearly unable to handle the new attacking pattern under Cheika. Watch the difference after McKibbon went off during the Kings match. The Waratahs did get less possession in the second half but what sticks out to me is what happened when they were in possession. Namely the forwards and backs were still getting over the line but Lucas could not keep up to the pace they wanted to play and as a result was meerkatting constantly and single handedly eviscerated their attacking momentum multiple times. He is not ready to play Super Rugby under such a fast paced, high intensity system which leaves little room for second-thoughts and slow ball.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Phipps actually looking like a less than retarded pickup now. Matt Lucas is clearly unable to handle the new attacking pattern under Cheika. Watch the difference after McKibbon went off during the Kings match. The Waratahs did get less possession in the second half but what sticks out to me is what happened when they were in possession. Namely the forwards and backs were still getting over the line but Lucas could not keep up to the pace they wanted to play and as a result was meerkatting constantly and single handedly eviscerated their attacking momentum multiple times. He is not ready to play Super Rugby under such a fast paced, high intensity system which leaves little room for second-thoughts and slow ball.
Everyone has been saying how things improve when he comes on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
He was very poor when he came on during the Kings match.

Actually not even sure if it's Lucas being poor anymore. The structures and pattern of the 'Tahs changes dramatically when he comes on. They play like a bit like the Reds, actually. Forwards around the corner, direct attacking lines through the backs and a mixture of trying to punch through the middle and sending it out wide. Interesting stuff but wildly different from the structures and pattern when McKibbin is on.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
HSBC dropping the Tahs apparently. Can't say I blame them, in one sense, they have stuck by them through some very challenging times and probably do not feel that they have helped their brand all that much.

So, the Tahs and the Force will both be looking for a new main sponsor next season.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I believe it's due to a major shift in HSBC marketing strategy globally.

Hopefully Volvo signs up. Free cars for members!

Seems like a similar thing to the reds and QR! First resurgent season and QR dropped out after... Apparently St. George picked up a steal only to have them win the 2011 title.

Volvo are already on the right arm of the reds jersey, would they go for a full blown sign up? Wouldn't be a bad idea, Waratahs are going to go places with Cheika I reckon!

Not quite free cars but Dad scored a day out at Queensland Raceway in the new Volvos they're bringing out because of Reds membership. Not bad!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Volvo becomes the Tahs major sponsor, the hats in the membership packs will be Tahs Flap Caps so no one gets sunburnt whilst driving their Volvo to the game.

sunmaster_hat.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
McKibbin had about four weeks in the sunshine after a bloody awful start to the season, then shit in his own nest against the Stormers and didn't recover against the Brumbies. Tahs look much better when Lucas and Barnes are on together.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
McKibbin had about four weeks in the sunshine after a bloody awful start to the season, then shit in his own nest against the Stormers and didn't recover against the Brumbies. Tahs look much better when Lucas and Barnes are on together.
Lucas worries me - big tendency to run across field.
I am also yet to be convinced about Foley: i dont think he gets the big decisions correct.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lucas worries me - big tendency to run across field.
I am also yet to be convinced about Foley: i dont think he gets the big decisions correct.

Disagree on Foley, I like his approach

He has a crack, attacks the line and now is getting plenty of units looking to run onto his ball either before the line and in contact

big decisions correct? no player ever does get them all right, but as long he is getting them wrong attacking the line he will do me

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It would be good if Foley can learn to kick accurately, particularly at the restarts.

No Club fourth grade five-eighth should kick the bloody thing out on the full.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It would be good if Foley can learn to kick accurately, particularly at the restarts.

No Club fourth grade five-eighth should kick the bloody thing out on the full.

I expect Barnes to be doing restarts this week, on Foley's restarts, one error is acceptable, two? It wasn't great

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Disagree on Foley, I like his approach

He has a crack, attacks the line and now is getting plenty of units looking to run onto his ball either before the line and in contact

big decisions correct? no player ever does get them all right, but as long he is getting them wrong attacking the line he will do me
FP its just a hunch - I agree he's an improvement but there's something that is gnawing away at my comfort level when I think about him.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Talk in the paper today is that JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) are going to NSW.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...sydney-next-year/story-fn8t7efs-1226649494819

How on earth do the tahs stay under the salary cap? Or is it now accepted policy that tax dodging field rental fees are legitimate means by which to circumvent the salary cap?

Whatever did happen to that "investigation"?

*edit* just read after I posted that this is also in the rebels thread - sorry

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You'd have to believe it may be true when Grumbles starts quoting his sources Radio, the wizard and WIFI in his ESPN gossip column.

Reactions: BPC

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Talk in the paper today is that JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) are going to NSW.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...sydney-next-year/story-fn8t7efs-1226649494819

How on earth do the tahs stay under the salary cap? Or is it now accepted policy that tax dodging field rental fees are legitimate means by which to circumvent the salary cap?

Whatever did happen to that "investigation"?

*edit* just read after I posted that this is also in the rebels thread - sorry

At this rate if true we might as well rename them the All-(S)Tahs. Cheika appears fairly confident of retaining Folau and according to the article Beale is all but a done deal. Where are we going to fit them all?

Status
Not open for further replies.