• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
TPN announcement here:
http://www.waratahs.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/157/ArticleID/9270/Default.aspx

Cliffy announcement here:
http://www.waratahs.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/157/ArticleID/9269/Default.aspx

Bally Boys High, and Granville High (CHS) alumni.

Planets seem to be aligning for the IF re-signing. Could almost accept that he will remain aligned to the Camperdown Rugby Club, as long as the ink gets on paper soon.

Camperdown Rugby Club? You mean Petersham, right? Camperdown doesn't have a rugby club, the Shammies play at Camperdown oval though (I used to live right nearby).

Unless you mean Sydney Uni, of course. Pffft. The Shammies are the real grassroots rugby club in Camperdown.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ash it was a cheap shot at Uni.

My dreams of IF registering with a club west of Concord are well known.

I am not that naive to deny that there strategic reasons for IF to align with Uni that will benefit IF in the long term if he decides to stay in Heavensgame, and the powers that be in Uni are probably very well placed to "assist" IF with his decision to stay with Rugby.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
He was a brilliant player, but he was not consistent and his defense was pathetic.
doesn't sound like he was a brilliant player then.......
he was potentially one, but he's steadily fallen from his highs. he's been on and off the bench for sale. he's a wasted talent.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If Tala Grey has finished the season in Frogland, and has agreed to terms with Tahs Ltd, when can he play his first game for the Tahs?

Are we likely to see him this Soup season - like Burgess and the Wobs.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Next year, it's not like we're short of backrowers either. Dennis doesn't get injured nor does Hooper. Lopeti has had barely any game time. We do need a hooker.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Purely from a team fit perspective, I'd take JOC (James O'Connor), play him at 12 and let Horne go.

WHAT!? Well, you can bugger off right now, Richo. Horne's adapted to his new role and position at 12 with masterful aplomb this year. I'd go so far as to say Cheika made a mistake on Friday of not putting Barnes at 10 and leaving the two excellent centres to get on with what they've been doing well all year.

JOC (James O'Connor)? Someone else can have him.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I'd be willing to wager that Cheika uses Horne just as, if not more often than Timani/Palu when he wants to punch over the gain line from the 1st phase off of set pieces. This is a testament to how well he has been playing this year for the 'Tahs.

He's not a second play maker but has been doing a pretty damn good job at the crash-n-bash center job he was expected to do.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Camperdown Rugby Club? You mean Petersham, right? Camperdown doesn't have a rugby club, the Shammies play at Camperdown oval though (I used to live right nearby). Unless you mean Sydney Uni, of course. Pffft. The Shammies are the real grassroots rugby club in Camperdown.

Yer right, Ash, he MEANT Darlington Tech Football Club.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
WHAT!? Well, you can bugger off right now, Richo. Horne's adapted to his new role and position at 12 with masterful aplomb this year. I'd go so far as to say Cheika made a mistake on Friday of not putting Barnes at 10 and leaving the two excellent centres to get on with what they've been doing well all year.

Got to agree with you on this and further more I reckon it was Deans who interfered and "urged" the Tahs and Cheika to play BB where he did.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Got to agree with you on this and further more I reckon it was Deans who interfered and "urged" the Tahs and Cheika to play BB where he did.

Of course all problems in Australian rugby at all levels are Robbie's fault. Alternatively, perhaps Cheika liked the fact that the two playmaker option beat the Brumbies the week before, and that Barnes has played very well in every opportunity he's had, and thought that should continue.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Nothing wrong with putting Berrick on the paddock, R42, but the issue with the Tahs at the moment is where and when. Barnes took (the injured) Horne's place at half time against the Ponies, and it seemed to work well. Starting him instead of Horne against the Rebels didn't.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Yes, I don't disagree with how well Horne has played, and how well the whole backline has functioned with him there. It might very well be the best plan to use Barnes as a "closer", able to exploit tired defences if necessary or kick strategically as required, leaving Horne to start. Certainly worked well against the Brumbies. It also leaves open the option of bringing on Berrick at 15 and reshuffling the back 3 as required, perhaps moving Folau to replace a winger. Or use BB to replace Foley if indicated. My point was just that I can also see why Cheika would have thought Barnes as the starting 12 could have been useful. So nice to have so few injuries in the backline this season, the options are plentiful.

Richo

John Thornett (49)

SETTLE, PETAL.

Horne has been great, I'm a huge fan of his play this year. But JOC (James O'Connor) is one of the most talented rugby players in Australia. I don't think he's a 10, but I do think he could be a 12 and -- as much as I like Horne -- I reckon he would be better.

JOC (James O'Connor) would be great on the wing too, of course, if he would accept such a role. My reading of the situation, however, is that cap space only goes so far and I don't know that the team could afford Beale (seems likely to be signed at this point), Folau, JOC (James O'Connor), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne and Foley in the same back line.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
In the current game it seems to me you need a heavyhitter outside your flyhalf, and JOC (James O'Connor) has amazing talents, but heavyhitter isn't one of them. He is just too light. Really strong and explosive but not enough mass. In that awful wallabies roulette game we all indulge in, not least the coaches(!), I'd try him at 13 as a playmaker centre to create width of attack.

Or we could, you know, just leave him where he belongs, wing ;)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
In the current game it seems to me you need a heavyhitter outside your flyhalf, and JOC (James O'Connor) has amazing talents, but heavyhitter isn't one of them. He is just too light. Really strong and explosive but not enough mass. In that awful wallabies roulette game we all indulge in, not least the coaches(!), I'd try him at 13 as a playmaker centre to create width of attack.

Or we could, you know, just leave him where he belongs, wing ;)

Agree with 13. He could add a complete new dimension to our game.
Allow attack both sides of the ruck with any phases down he centre.
Create space and angles out wide.
He can run, his passing game has all the required variations of a 5/8, the back three would be given more space as JOC (James O'Connor) would / could more often than not attrack 2 defenders.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
How much longer can AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) survive in the top league? He is a phenominally stable player - and a true "big occassion" player - but I wonder what the Tahs will have ready when time steps in, as it must begin to, at 29...

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
It's being reported on Twitter that TPN (3 years) and Palu (2 years) have re-signed.

Sent from my Nexus 7

that is good news, but what I REALLY LIKE was the reasons they gave for re-signing...

'UN-FINISHED BUSINESS'... bloody inspirtational these blokes!

There ought to be a statue of TPN outside the Sydney Football Stadium if he and the Tahs can pull off a title!...

Status
Not open for further replies.