• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The other two were picked ahead of him for U/20s but he was the youngest—and, not quite to the point, but the ones that went to France did not shine.

Rough call if Burton is included in that. He mostly played off the bench and filled in where he was needed. Scored quite a few tries too.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have been impressed with the little that I have seen of Horwitz, he seems to have plenty of poise, I was surprised to learn how young he is.
<snip>
He would be worthy of a Tahs EPS slot.

He has some areas of his defence that I think need some work but for a 18/19 year old there is plenty of time for him to work on those areas.

The Tahs need top lock him in because I have heard of his name mentioned in conjunction with interest from the Rebels, up to a full contract.

When is the final Tahs EPS being announced?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He would be worthy of a Tahs EPS slot.

He has some areas of his defence that I think need some work but for a 18/19 year old there is plenty of time for him to work on those areas.

The Tahs need top lock him in because I have heard of his name mentioned in conjunction with interest from the Rebels, up to a full contract.

When is the final Tahs EPS being announced?

He seems OK, but so does Saifolo, Debreczeni and Stefano Hunt

The key question for me is what is the role of the EPS, is it to develop a player how can start a role in the S15 in two to three years? or is it to polish units who can pinch hit this season?

The challenge with the former is that you invest and they are poached too often.

I doubt that the Tahs need a 10 in the EPs, we have Foley (24), Beale (24), Lance (23) & Volavola (22) in the squad

So there will be not many starting 10 spots for the next 5 years.

Looking at the squad we need a 13 and a hooker, we have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and a stop gap in Carraro, I disagree with Folau being the answer at 13, he is an outside back Fullstop. We need a big muscular, fast 13 who can catch and pass - who will "blossom" in 2 years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looking at the squad we need a 13 and a hooker, we have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and a stop gap in Carraro, I disagree with Folau being the answer at 13, he is an outside back Fullstop. We need a big muscular, fast 13 who can catch and pass - who will "blossom" in 2 years.

I think the hope is that becomes Michael Hodge this season.

I agree with you that we probably don't need 10 cover in the EPS. I do think you can carry one or two 'bolters' in the EPS that you have no plans to use that season though. I think that was Skelton last year (it just happened that he developed really quickly and became useful last season).

We definitely need a hooker, prop and lock who are all ready to go in 2014 as they are likely to get Super Rugby game time.

We need a 12/13 to support AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, and Hodge.

That last spot could go to a player like Horwitz. I think it is fairly certain that he will play Super Rugby within the next couple of years. The question for the Waratahs is to try and predict how good he is going to be and how soon that is likely to be.

If the answer is that they think that he will become a regular matchday 23 contender in 2015 (and thus have a full contract from the Tahs in 2015) then giving him an EPS spot next year would make sense.

If they don't think that is likely to be the case then they shouldn't offer him an EPS spot and let him go elsewhere.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Saifolo seems to be rather underrated by the Soup Franchise scouts.

I do like the cut of Debreczeni's jib as well. I think I have heard whispers of his name being bandied around with Ponies or Force (low level of confidence in the accuracy of those names).

Horwitz seems to be a favoured son of the Tahs. He went on the Tahs Argentina development trip and by all accounts acquitted himself rather well. He has played some games at 12 for the Wicks. Maybe Chieka is seeing him as a bit of a Lilo type player who is comfortable at 10 or 12.

How many slots are there in EPS? Is it 5?

What do we need in the EPS?
1. a #1 or #3
2. a #2 who can also cover #7 or #6
3. a # 4 or #5 who can also cover #6 or #8 (or vice versa)
4. a #10 who can cover #12 (or vice versa)
5. a wing/fullback/centre

IMHO #2 and #13 are areas where not only Tahs are lacking depth, but right across the board in all Aust Soup franchises.

I think the revised "position description" for an ideal #2 still hasn't been locked down following the introduction of the new scrum laws/procedures, particularly as it relates to body shape and skills for the Scrummage, and it may take a year or two to sort this out. This isn't helping sort wheat out from chaff. No change though to the #2 "position description" with respect to pinpoint lineout throws, and breakdown work.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I agree with you that we probably don't need 10 cover in the EPS. I do think you can carry one or two 'bolters' in the EPS that you have no plans to use that season though. I think that was Skelton last year (it just happened that he developed really quickly and became useful last season).

Skelton was originally in the "Train On" squad in 2013 rather than the EPS. Although I think he may have got Sam Lane's EPS spot once he pulled out.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Skelton was originally in the "Train On" squad in 2013 rather than the EPS. Although I think he may have got Sam Lane's EPS spot once he pulled out.

Yeah, that is correct.

At the time though, most Tahs fans certainly thought that it was a bit of a joke because Skelton hadn't played grade and was just a massive but quite flabby kid. Obviously that perception has been completely blown out of the water and few Tahs fans would select the likely matchday 23 for 2014 without naming Skelton.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
IMO, the most impressive aspect of Cheika's coaching so far has been his willingness and ability to see potential in young guys and give them a go. Crawford and Skelton, to name the brightest finds, have big futures with the Waratahs.

Reactions: BPC

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
New poster here.

I think some of the last 6 spots at the Tahs are going to go to Hugh Roach because he got rookie of the year and when he got it he said he hoped to play for the Waratahs. At least that is what I made out of what he said on the final Rugby Wrap on ABC.

Then in the beginning of the second half of the shute GF Chieka was asked a list of names that stood out on the Arg tour. He mentioned Latu but also Sam Talakai, Michael McDougal and Alofa Alofa. I would guess he wants to keep Lucas and also recruit Jack Dempsey. So that's my guess at the final 6 spots.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)

The tahs need a centre and the way I see it, is there is really only one option who I believe can make the step up next year. And that is Michael McDougall. He can play 12 and 13, is a solid defender and a hard-worker. Most people on this forum want Hugh Roach as the back-up hooker and I completely agree he is a hard-worker around the ground, and for people that say he is too small, just have a look at him, he is built like an absolute brick.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
New poster here.

I think some of the last 6 spots at the Tahs are going to go to Hugh Roach because he got rookie of the year and when he got it he said he hoped to play for the Waratahs. At least that is what I made out of what he said on the final Rugby Wrap on ABC.

Yes, I really liked what he said in that interview. I'd love to see the Tahs recruit a guy who comes straight out and says that he's always wanted to play for the Tahs. Refreshing.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah, Roach is comparatively small and won't ever be a 110kg mobile hooker like you see for the Saffers, but have you ever tried to move somebody with his shape off a ruck? It's nigh impossible.

He just needs to play the right game. Think Brussow or Waugh, except he throws lineouts and packs scrums.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
He seems OK, but so does Saifolo, Debreczeni and Stefano Hunt

The key question for me is what is the role of the EPS, is it to develop a player how can start a role in the S15 in two to three years? or is it to polish units who can pinch hit this season?

The challenge with the former is that you invest and they are poached too often.

I doubt that the Tahs need a 10 in the EPs, we have Foley (24), Beale (24), Lance (23) & Volavola (22) in the squad

So there will be not many starting 10 spots for the next 5 years.

scuse my ignorance but can Cam Crawford play 13?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
New poster here.

Then in the beginning of the second half of the shute GF Chieka was asked a list of names that stood out on the Arg tour. He mentioned Latu but also Sam Talakai, Michael McDougal and Alofa Alofa. I would guess he wants to keep Lucas and also recruit Jack Dempsey. So that's my guess at the final 6 spots.
Hi Jagman,
I agree with most of your above predictions. I am not so sure about Jack Dempsey. I suspect he might need a bit more time although I am not overly familiar with his progress. Any feedback on him?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My thoughts on the make-up of the squad:

Loosehead: Robinson + Tilse
Hooker: Polota-Nau + Latu
Tighthead: Kepu + Ryan
TH lock: Douglas + Chapman
LH lock: Skelton + Potgieter
Blindside: Dennis + Holloway
Openside: Hooper + McCutcheon
Number #8: Palu + Gray

Halfback: Phipps + McKibbin
Flyhalf: Foley + Volavola
Left wing: Betham + Carraro
Inside: Horne + Lance
Outside: Ashley-Cooper
Right wing: Crawford + Hodge
Fullback: Folau + Beale

Obviously a lot of our backs can play multiple positions. Sam Talakai to fill the last spot.

EPS: Roach, Coleman/Dempsey, Lucas, McDougall/Horwitz, Alofa Alofa

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Hi Jagman,
I agree with most of your above predictions. I am not so sure about Jack Dempsey. I suspect he might need a bit more time although I am not overly familiar with his progress. Any feedback on him?

I thought Dempsey did all right in Argentina. Playing against a Test team was never going to be easy but he had some great carries. There weren't many Gordon games on the ABC so I didn't see him much. But a few months ago Matt Burke dropped his name in an article claiming him to be a future Wallaby. The Tahs might not need him but they also probably don't want to lose him. That's why I reckon he'll get a spot.

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
I think we need to find a big backup to Cliffy. The one thing Australian rugby is missing is the big F@#! Off enforcer type. Is there anyone in the SS at the moment who has that wrecking ball feel to them? Or could we look at developing Willie S running game and turning him into the human battering ram?

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
Also someone please tell me that Roach has landed an EPS Spot. It will be seriously disappointing to see him miss out after such a stelar SS season.

Status
Not open for further replies.