• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
We're not talking about the Waratahs' squad Richo, but the NSW Colts (Under 20) squad.

But his ability to kick long with both feet (and not at the same time smart-arse Bruce) plus his ability to slot long kicks at goal (right foot only) would have him penciled in for the future as a promising player with something different.

It was disappointing how his season ended last year but I hope he has picked himself up and focussed on getting higher honours. He was a pretty amazing footballer to watch at schoolboy level; his acceleration and ability to break the tackle was incredible. Good luck to him, I would love to see him in sky blue in the next couple of years.

Edit to say, he could kick from 50 out wide and was pretty damn accurate!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Good to see someone coming through the ranks who looks like they take place kicking as seriously as all other facets of the game. Australian rugby has been crying out for a dead eye kicker from anywhere within 50 metres. I'll be watching with interest.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for that tc—it brings back memories: they were all from the Oz Schools Championships last year at Riverview—I was in a few of the sequences (in the crowd, Bruce).

All lads look good in highlights packages but he had a great week. By preference a fullback he played well on the wing and the interplay between 15. Kellaway and himself in all the games was superb.

Mind you, they were in the the best NSW Schools backline I can remember; so they had every chance to look good.

He missed a few shots at goal in the week to be honest, but he's a good bloke to have in your team at least for the long kicks at goal: they travel.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
We're not talking about the Waratahs' squad Richo, but the NSW Colts (Under 20) squad.

But his ability to kick long with both feet (and not at the same time smart-arse Bruce) plus his ability to slot long kicks at goal (right foot only) would have him penciled in for the future as a promising player with something different.

Ah, right, missed that. Thought you were talking about players invited to Tahs training. Seems like a good lad to watch closely.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Found on youtube...could be a great asset in years to come, as long as the Rebels don't pinch him!

You put together the same sort of package from the 2013 CAS Henry Plume Shield games. His finishing was superb and a certain game against Waverley comes to mind where he finished off a match winning try at/after the bell after some masterful stepping and sheer pace from around the halfway line. I wonder if that sequence is on Youtube somewhere.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
As mentioned in the Tahs v Force match thread there will be a curtain-raiser match between the reserve sides of the Tahs and Brumbies.

The Tahs outfit are calling themselves the "Gen Blue" team which is supposed to stand for "[Next] Generation [Waratah] Blue".

The team is:

1. Mike Ala'alatoa *
2. Hugh Roach *
3. Tim Metcher *
4. Steve Cummins *
5. Greg Peterson
6. Loma Kaveinga *
7. Pat McCutcheon (c)
8. Jed Holloway
9. Matt Lucas
10. David Horwitz ***
11. Joel Brooks *
12. Usaia O'Sullivan ****
13. Mali Hingano ****
14. Cam Crawford
15. Ben Volovola

16. Ryan Dalziel *
17. Johnson Falefa **
18. Sam Talakai *
19. Seilala Lam *
20. Ryan Hodson *
21. James Cunningham *
22. Auvasa Faleali'i **
23. Johnny Vaux ***

* Invited Players who have been training unpaid since October.
** Invited players who have been missing for a while and are back
*** NSW Colts Under 20 players (Horwitz is also in the Tahs EPS).
**** Players just brought in for curtain raiser.

Other players have full contracts or are in the Tahs' EPS.

Not available:

Out for season: Mitch Chapman, Michael Hodge (probably)
Injured: Tala Gray, Jonno Lance (no, I don't know when they will be available again.)

Watch out for Joel Brooks, the Brothers' subbies player who scored 34 tries last season. He'd be the fastest in the Tahs' stable over 20 metres, and maybe 40 as well.

Also: scrummie Auvasa Faleali'i, who folks may remember as the guy who provided some spark in the NSW tour games in Argentina.

Also: Johnson Falefa to see how long he can play in a game. I reckon he could match it with Ben Tameifuna in arse size; as impossible as that sounds.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So, obviously Hoiles and Carraro are on the bench for the main match. Let's hope Cutch and Crawford get their chances as the season progresses, quality depth in the squad is the winning of this tournament. BTW, I rate Crawford, good finisher and a big boot to boot.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
So, obviously Hoiles and Carraro are on the bench for the main match. Let's hope Cutch and Crawford get their chances as the season progresses, quality depth in the squad is the winning of this tournament. BTW, I rate Crawford, good finisher and big boot to boot.

Carraro is a good player and maybe more highly rated by the coaches than we think.

I don't think he's coming back to Oz at 29 to sit outside a match day 23 for less money, he's chasing a dream I think.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Let us all take a moment to reflect that this week is often the best moment of Tahs supporters year.

A new season, new hope, lots of hope, no disappointment, no despair

And just a little bit a apprehension

THIS IS THE FUCKING YEAR!!!!!!!!!!

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
So, obviously Hoiles and Carraro are on the bench for the main match. Let's hope Cutch and Crawford get their chances as the season progresses, quality depth in the squad is the winning of this tournament. BTW, I rate Crawford, good finisher and big boot to boot.
Crawf gets fit he'll be back in very quick....was quality end of last season and would have played Wobs ...is he still carrying any hinderances?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
To be the devil's advocate, a real weakness for the Tahs last year were their offensive rucks. It improved, but still wasn't rectified by the end. This leads to my criticism of Cheika - he instead chose to bitch and whine at the refs rather than fix the source of the problem - either going wide but not having guys making the effort to get to those wide rucks and be effective, or just not committing enough to the offensive rucks in general.

The Tahs needs to both fix their offensive ruck work, and Cheika needs to react and fix the short comings in his game plan rather than blame the refs. Link was good at this - Link made a lot of questionable decisions, but he generally learnt quickly from them when they failed. If the Tahs can fix those two issues early on then I think they are a real chance of taking the Australian conference.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Crawf gets fit he'll be back in very quick..was quality end of last season and would have played Wobs .is he still carrying any hinderances?

He's played half a trial game since coming back from a shoulder reco. He'll be eased back in. I'd be guessing he'd be playing if Alofa hadn't had a couple of storming games in the trials.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Tahs have signed Magners as a their sleeve sponsor. So in the last 3 weeks, they've signed 2 back of jersey sponsors, a sleeve sponsor and the ARU have bagged a SupeRugby sponsor. And not a moment too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.