• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Waratahs have signed U20's player and Australian 7's representative Bradley Wikins, plays blindside flanker typically. He was in the Reds EPS at the start of 2015 but was released to to sign with the Australian 7's squad.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pretty disappointing signing. Bit worried about our squad next year. Missing some big names and players coming back from Japan.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Looks like the Tahs have Naiaravoro next year. Phipps, Foley, Kellaway, Horne, Folau, Taqele, Beale backline. Hopefully Folau will play outside centre in Japan so that he's not starting there from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Looks like the Tahs have Naiaravoro next year. Phipps, Foley, Kellaway, Horne, Folau, Taqele, Beale backline. Hopefully Folau will play outside centre in Japan so that he's not starting there from scratch.

Keeping it simple.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_59539,00.html

Looks like there's some negotiation to be done if he's to stay. Published after the articles suggesting he'll stay.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nah, these days the athlete just hold all the power. Contracts mean nothing.

Do you really want to be paying a player who doesn't want to be there?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Don't get me wrong, if he wants to stay, he'll end up staying. But there will be some sort of small release negotiated, probably just enough to cover the scouting and signing of another player.

Best of luck to him, but I'll be disappointed, especially since he was a preemptive replacement to DTH.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Except that it's available to all franchises. I assume it also means the Tahs cannot sign a foreign player or at least not one with limited to their salary cap indent.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Waratahs have signed U20's player and Australian 7's representative Bradley Wikins, plays blindside flanker typically. He was in the Reds EPS at the start of 2015 but was released to to sign with the Australian 7's squad.

Does that mean he has been released from the Aust 7's squad?

If he is still in the 7's programme, I'd imagine that the commitment requirements to the 7's programme would mean that he wouldn't be available to the Waratahs for much of the Super Rugby season.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Heres my starting 23, assuming Carraro re-signs, which I believe he will:

1. Paddy Ryan
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Benn Robinson
4. Will Skelton
5. Dean Mumm
6. Dave Dennis
7. Michael Hooper
8. Tala Grey
9. Nick Phipps
10. Benard Foley
11. Andrew Kellaway
12. Kurtley Beale
13. Matt Carraro
14. Rob Horne
15. Israel Folau

16. Mike Ala'alatoa
17. Tolu Latu
18. Angus Ta'avo
19. Jed Holloway
20. Stephen Hoiles / Jack Dempsey
21. Auvasa Faleali'i? (Pulver? Short? Merrimen? Sourcing a good halfback from the NRC will be crucial for the Tahs).
22. Jim Stewart

All in all, we have great depth in the squad, but a few weak positions, these being: scrum half, wing and prop (not a lack of numbers but a lack of quality). Also, outside of Beale and Foley, we have no credible flyhalves. Horwitz would be a good stop gap. He's up for it physically, but doesn't set the world on fire.

As such, I would look into bolstering those positions. We should also snap up Henry Hutchison before someone else does.

This is an important transitionary period for the Tahs. We are moving from the Renaissance that was The Supreme Leader Cheika, and we are experiencing a bit of a changing of the guard with some of the older players moving on. I think it'll be important to use the experienced heads as the cornerstone of the team, but to give the younger guys plenty of minutes as we cycle them in.

I would love to see Latu, Holloway, Grey, Dempsey, Kellaway et. al. to all see some good game time.

A couple of good signings and we're well on our way to another good season. All aboard the Gibson train, 2016 looks and it look like it'll be a cracker.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Robinson, Polota-Nau, Hoiles, Carraro, Tilse, McCutcheon and Chapman should be on the outer. I'd take Holloway over Gray everyday.

1. Cameron Orr
2. Tolu Latu
3. Paddy Ryan
4. Dean Mumm
5. Will Skelton
6. Dave Dennis (c)
7. Michael Hooper
8. Jed Holloway
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Rob Horne
12. Jim Stewart
13. Israel Folau
14. Taqele Naiyaravoro
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Hugh Roach
17. Mike Ala'alatoa
18. Angus Ta'avao
19. Sam Lousi
20. Tala Gray
21. Auvasa Falealii
22. David Horwitz
23. Andrew Kellaway

24. Tatafu Polota-Nau
25. Benn Robinson
26. Jeremy Tilse?
27. Ned Hanigan
28. Pat McCutcheon?
29. Jack Dempsey
31. Brad Wilkin
32. Matt Carraro
33. Henry Clunies-Ross

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Huh? He's played like 2 series in 7s how is that any indication of his form in 15s as a backrower? You think he'll do a McMahon?

He was poor at the u20s like most our pack. I would've taken Ned Hanigan over him however.

He was bloody good in the NRC. thought he was better than the likes of Korzcyk and Schatz.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Robinson, Polota-Nau, Hoiles, Carraro, Tilse, McCutcheon and Chapman should be on the outer. I'd take Holloway over Gray everyday.

1. Cameron Orr
2. Tolu Latu
3. Paddy Ryan
4. Dean Mumm
5. Will Skelton
6. Dave Dennis (c)
7. Michael Hooper
8. Jed Holloway
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Rob Horne
12. Jim Stewart
13. Israel Folau
14. Taqele Naiyaravoro
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Hugh Roach
17. Mike Ala'alatoa
18. Angus Ta'avao
19. Sam Lousi
20. Tala Gray
21. Auvasa Falealii
22. David Horwitz
23. Andrew Kellaway

24. Tatafu Polota-Nau
25. Benn Robinson
26. Jeremy Tilse?
27. Mitch Chapman?
28. Pat McCutcheon?
29. Jack Dempsey
30. Stephen Hoiles?
31. Brad Wilkin
32. Matt Carraro
33. Henry Clunies-Ross

I understand the need to promote youth with potential, but this would be a bit of throwing the baby out with the bath water. The Waratahs don't have the finances or the fan base to afford them the luxury of a bad season to rebuild for the future. Not playing guys who have been very good Super Rugby performers this year like Robinson, TPN and Carraro would be crazy, especially dropping them from the bench. The younger players will get their opportunity through injuries or from the bench, but these old heads must be around the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.