• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think they'll look at starting with:

Phipps
Foley
Guildford
Carraro
Folau
Horne
Beale

Or

Phipps
Foley
Guildford
Horne
Folau
Robinson/Kellaway
Beale

With Beale playing that 2nd playmaker role from 15 having both wings with the 15 "gene" may be of value, especially with Horne usually defending at 12 anyway

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
According to the Australian Horne wants to play centre.
"Wallabies winger Rob Horne has put his hand up for the vacant outside-centre position in the NSW Waratahs’ backline for next year’s Super Rugby competition, and coach Daryl Gibson is set to oblige him."

But Gibson doesn't actually say "outside" centre :"“When I arrived at the Waratahs (as an assistant coach) in 2013 we played Rob at 12 (inside-centre). He played the whole season there and did that very well. He is keen to get into the midfield. I’m keen to have a go with him there." And, "Rob has decided he is going to rehab his shoulder,” Gibson said. “That’s really positive because he is really keen to move into that centre position.”
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...n/news-story/f42246555e4ebd6869ccf7c97e339779

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
In that quote he refers to the position as "12" not second five. He also uses the term midfield which usually refers to both centre positions. More recent articles like the one about Beale that I posted on the previous page seem to assume Folau is getting the 13 jersey which is where Deans, McKenzie, Chieka and Gibson (and Folau himself) have all hinted that's where he'd end up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I dont mind Beale at 15 in a roving second playmaker role. Could be awesome. But Horne at 12 just seems to be a brick wall to distribution. What am I missing? What does he think he brings to the role?

Folau to 13 seems ordained.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Maybe Gibson wants a brick wall at 12, Horne is a great defender.

As for attack, the option would be crash ball or crash ball.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Pretty sure Horne played 12 with 2dads at 13 for at least half the rounds under Chieka in 2013, with Barnes at 10 and Foley at 15 or something like that. It's not a new strategy, and as long as Foley doesn't come back with a series of injuries, 2016 Foley and 2016 Beale should be better than 2013 Barnes and 2013 Foley.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
i don't think it matters.
Foley is still there to scoot when it's on,and Beale is still there to slip into first receiver when it's on.
Horne & IF are still there to run lines.
Numbers on their backs don't mean much if they are not playing the traditional roles.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think part of it will come down to who forces their way into the starting XV out of Carraro, Guildford, Kellaway, Robinson, Stewart etc.

You know that Foley, Beale, Folau, and Horne are all starting XV players with some versatility and will all feature somewhere in the 6 backline spots other than halfback.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So, five of the seven backline spots at the 2016 Tahs are taken: Phipps/Foley/Horne/Folau/Beale. Carraro, Guildford, Robinson et al are fighting for one centre spot and/or a winger's pozzy. Good competition to have.

Who's our second scrummie?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The commentators of the Shute Shield on channel 7 said (on TV) that Matt Lucas was rumoured to return for the Tahs in 2016 from his Italian club.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I wonder who will play 3rd grade after the S15 season..
(Yes - i know Phipps is unlikely to play for Uni)

I know that your post is tongue in cheek but you also need to remember that the Grade GF and the Super Rugby GF are on the same day, so Super Rugby players are highly unlikely to return to Club Rugby at all as they will be playing Super Rugby finals or resting.
Under the current arrangements, the World Cup years are the only ones where we will potentially see the players return post Super season.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They seem to have all 3 half backs from Uni - Phipps, Jake Gordon and Merriman.

In recent times the Wix had George Gregan, Anthems Whittaker, and Pat Phibbs on their books (2 Wallabies, 2 Ponies and the Waratahs halfbacks). The Clubs 4th best halfback was playing Shute Shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.