• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
A few observations obviously a largely developmental squad with all Wallabies being given some extra rest time.

- Is Lousi still injured?

- Jim Stewart not required is interesting unless injured?

Correction

Jim Stewart and Cliff Palu were training a bit today but also spent some time with the rehab gurus.

Fairly recent Team Rehab guys Angus T, Toleafoa and Benn R have come good. TPN is running around now and doing a bit of contact work.

Lousi is still injured as is Tomas Robertson, Clunies-Ross and Folau.

Rowan Perry has rejoined the group but I believe he doesn't have a contract of any kind.

The Tahs will play their best players more in the second and third trials in NZ and will go into camp "in the Southern Alps" between them.

Somebody told me earlier that the Wagga trial was being streamed and I posted to that effect, but one of the Tahs people today told me it wasn't - nor will the NZ trials be streamed.

That's the info I have as of today.

PS - Someone asked about Dean Mumm - he was training today as he was every day since he got back (when I was there).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I hope you're right - I asked specifically today if the Brumbies were streaming it to confirm what I posted earlier, and was advised they weren't.

Sometimes it's best not to say anything, I suppose; in case your informant is wrong.

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
My match day squad, barring injury looks like:

1. Robinson / 2. Polota-Nau / 3. Ta'avao / 4. Skelton / 5. Mumm / 6. Dennis / 7. Hooper / 8. Palu / 9. Phipps / 10. Foley / 11. Horne / 12. Beale / 13. Folau / 14. Robinson / 15. Guildford

16. Latu / 17. Tilse / 18. Ryan / 19. Lousi / 20. Dempsey / 21. Lucas / 22. Hegarty / 23. Carraro

I see the 4 players with the greatest potential of edging their way in as Roach, Hanigan, Holloway and Kellaway. Roach could come in for Tilse, with Latu playing loose-head, Hanigan in if either Skelton or Lousi are injured, Holloway for an injured Palu, and Kellaway to the bench if Carraro has to replace Folau. Injuries to other players would obviously require players lower on the pecking order to step-up, the four I selected seem the stronger contenders to me.

Back to the starting XV and bench, and controversies therein... trial form will dictate the starting tight-head, so it's a guess for now. Dennis and Palu at 6 and 8 might not win everyone over, but the option is Holloway who I don't yet rate - based on inconsistent workrate from the games I've seen for Southos and the Rams.

I've also chosen Beale at 12 and Guilford at 15 despite early talk of Beale at the back. I really like the dual ball-players in attack, though Beale may end up at 15 in defence anyway in a 2- or 3-way rotation including Horne. By including Robinson with the extremely reliable Carraro as back-up I've excluded Kellaway, though his time will come and it will be this year.

It looks like experience over youth, though I feel Gibson will want to get results ASAP and develop youth later rather than sooner. I've heard Hanigan compared with Al Kanaar, the unlucky wild man who could've been anything if not crippled by injuries so early in his career - if that's accurate I'm excited to see him rip it up. I'd also like to see both Latu and Roach in the same match-day squad over time, the former is class while he's not pulling penalties and the latter seems so bloody enthusiastic - reminds me of a young Taf and Freier combo.

Go Tahs!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
1 Fat Cat
2 TPN
3 Ryan
4 Mumm
5 Skelton
6 Dennis
7 Hooper (c)
8 Palu (why? Great servant, but time to move on)
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 Robinson
12 Beale
13 Horne
14 Guildford
15 Folau

Latu, Tilse, Ta'avao, Lousi/Holloway, Holloway/Dempsey
Lucas, Carraro/Hegarty, Kellaway

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wait so that's your best team but you just said time to move on from Palu

I'd start Latu and Holloway with TPN and Palu off the bench. Will get a better return off them that way. Folau @ 13 with Kellaway, Robinson or Zac at 15. Keep Beale at 12 with Horne defending there from the wing. That's worked well.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

I'd start Latu and Holloway with TPN and Palu off the bench. Will get a better return off them that way. Folau @ 13 with Kellaway, Robinson or Zac at 15. Keep Beale at 12 with Horne defending there from the wing. That's worked well.

I agree re: Holloway. He's been in the system for a while and is ready to take the next step.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I see Jack Dempsey is running out in 7, does that mean he is Hooper's back up?

I thought he was a 6

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

No, that isn't my best team. That's what I think they'll pick.

It will depend on Palu's fitness, but I don't doubt they'll see what the old bloke has lost/recovered with an off-season in rehab, then judge.

And Holloway is only 23

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I hope you're right - I asked specifically today if the Brumbies were streaming it to confirm what I posted earlier, and was advised they weren't.

Sometimes it's best not to say anything, I suppose; in case your informant is wrong.

Definitely streaming it via the guys at waggawagga.tv the Brumbies website has the link. waggawagga.tv is a great local service and they do a good job with this sort of stuff.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Does anyone know what time this match kicks off?

An hour and a half ago....

I think I understand Alex's question. I just got home from a birthday party (I really am going to have to get a smaller group of friends) to find that the Brumbies livestream starts in 56 minutes time. If the game started an hour and a half ago, where is all the banter/analysis/gloating? Why is the LIVEstream starting in about an hours time? Have I dropped into a parallel universe or did I consume too much red at the party?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I think I understand Alex's question. I just got home from a birthday party (I really am going to have to get a smaller group of friends) to find that the Brumbies livestream starts in 56 minutes time. If the game started an hour and a half ago, where is all the banter/analysis/gloating? Why is the LIVEstream starting in about an hours time? Have I dropped into a parallel universe or did I consume too much red at the party?

Live stream delayed replay @ 10:15pm ( to make up for loss of first half stream)

Once played through, apparently a game replay will be made available on demand.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

In the match thread.......... :p

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Thans Hawko - exactly that. Been waiting a long time for a Tah's fix and was getting a bit edgy when I couldn't find the stream.....

Status
Not open for further replies.